Warning triangle & lug wrench | FerrariChat

Warning triangle & lug wrench

Discussion in '206/246' started by ilconservatore, Feb 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ilconservatore

ilconservatore F1 Veteran

May 18, 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I've just been through the (excellent) threads on tool variations and have been working on a summary for my own enlightenment. However I haven't seen anything specific about the warning triangle or lug wrench. Can anyone share information?

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I cannot comment on the lug wrench but my research on the warning triangles has shown a lot of variation from car to car. I have even found information to support that Ferrari had no real established supplier for these so you see them as coming in different colour cases even within the same year of car. One important detail is to buy a triange with a homoligation stamp that is dated BEFORE your car was made. This way you will be in the ballpark of correct rather than have a triange that would have required the use of plutonium powered Delorean to deliver :)

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Warning triangles came in a variety of colors. Tom Shaughnessy is the expert on all items pertaining to warning triangles, now that I've posted his name here, maybe hell chime in.

My recollection is at least three colors. Two shades of blue and a green, I'm sure there are more.

I have some pix somewhere, let me see what I can dig up . . .

On my other computer.

D

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i've seen blue, green, yellow, even red.

5. ilconservatore

ilconservatore F1 Veteran

May 18, 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio
    anyone know a good source for a triangle?

6. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I am sure that if Tom Shaughnessy posts here, HELL will certainly chime in. ;)

7. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Paul, write Tom: [email protected]
    He has the proper stuff you need.

Regards, Alberto

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #8 Nuvolari, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
    No need I've already made a few visits to see him and he has been most helpful and gracious :)

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    looks correct. what are the demensions?

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Oh no, you're correct, they ground down the point poorly too
    I got taken by another dodgy Italian seller of reproduction parts.
    ...sigh!

13. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    As someone also trying to "clean-up" a car, I've actually been continually surprised by the misinformation presented by a lot parts sources. I originally gave folks the benefit of the doubt, by assuming that it was probably really hard to keep track of the details of lots of different cars, but after noticing that these same folks tended to ask a lot more for the truly correct bits, I concluded that I was being too charitable.

I think when sellers type "believed to be original" that are just referring to the mental state of the potential buyers... ;)

synchro likes this.
  14. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Hi, I was looking at the picture of the tool kit and jack in the Spare Parts Catalogue for the M series and it shows a lug wrench with a 90 degree bend. So, was there a lug wrench with a 90 degree bend, or is the lug wrench with the 45 degree bend the correct style. Also, I was wondering if the 45 degree bend is correct, how does that differ from the early 308 series lug wrench other than the 308 having the cover over it along the straight portion.

15. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The left hand lug wrench in post 11 is an original 246E item, the right hand one is a exact reproduction. The M & very early E series had a slightly more acute angle but when that changeover occurred is most possibly a mystery.
    Best
    tony

16. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    The lug wrench in post #9 looks like it came from a 1966/1967 Alfa Romeo 105 series car (Duetto, Berlina, Sprint GT)

17. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yep, Maria Mauro of Scuderia250 sold it to me as a guaranteed OEM Dino 246 lug wrench. Another dubious Italian seller of wrong, mislabelled and incorrect reproduction items on ebay, Buyer Beware.

18. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Yes, that is exactly what it is. Early 105 series Alfa. My Duetto -67 had a lug wrench which looked identical to the one in the photo. Same angle, same plastic sleeve over the handle.

4redno likes this.