Seeking your expertise on a 360 purchase - maybe THIS 360's purchase | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Seeking your expertise on a 360 purchase - maybe THIS 360's purchase

Discussion in '360/430' started by ChimpanZed, Nov 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AEROBUFF

AEROBUFF Rookie

Apr 1, 2019
    I looked at this car over a year ago at the same dealer. I did not see anything obviously wrong with the car while I was at the dealership. However, I did not have a PPI completed and I did not drive the car. I think most people decided is was too expensive for a car with a European VIN. It really depends on how much the seats and roll bar are worth to you.

KERO likes this.
  2. KERO

KERO Rookie

Jan 16, 2020
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    Kerem Caliskan
    Yes i aggree. Price seems little bit too much for what it is. But thanks for the answer. Appreciate it

3. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    • Modena - I like both Modenas and Spiders, but my wife much prefers the former. A Modena is going to be an easier sell to the Minister of Finance.
    FYI - some (perhaps many) tracks may not allow spiders. I was reading the guidelines for an Italian car show with track event and spiders were only allowed on demonstration laps. Just check out the regulations for your tracks and make sure you can drive what you purchase.

4. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    I always find it amusing............
    If your buying a car you always compare the asking price it to the lowest price
    If your selling your car you always set your asking price to the highest

Other than a vague description & a couple blurry photos you conclude the other car was of equal or superior condition

5. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    I have seen the service records on this car - they have not done the actuators when they did the belts.
    Are they a must do item? Seems odd that they did not replace them since they were at it...

I liked the color but the EURO vin will limit its resale in the future and they are asking top prices.

6. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Actuators? For the gearbox? Or do you mean the cam variators?

7. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    Woops I was thinking variators but wrote actuators :)

8. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ah gotcha. As to the variators, it's my understanding that while certainly not anywhere close to all of them fail, it's absolutely catastrophic if/when they DO go, and the swap is a peace of mind issue. I would consider it a must-do especially if you're going to have the valve cover gaskets replaced, or any other semi-involved work/maintenance already being done on the car.

9. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    Thank you Mark definitely welcome your experience here.
    It is done when doing the belts, cam cover gaskets and cam pulleys correct?
    Is it a once done good for life type of job - meaning if it was done in the past 30k miles then the car is good?

I have seen the results of a failed one and it is SCARY.

10. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Well it can be done independently of all those things of course, but if one's having a belt service done or, say, you notice a valve cover gasket is leaking and decide to replace it, and know you haven't done the variators...that's a good time to go ahead and do it. If you're a DIY guy then you knock it out at the same time, and if you're having a shop do it, they're already working on the car anyway and pulling at least SOME things out, etc.....

...and of course "while you're in there" you can always swap out the exhaust manifolds for some capristos or something. ;)

11. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    how does a euro vin diminish resale if it has passed US DOT? It’s the same car.

12. Rosso_United_1999

Mar 31, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Argento really works for the 360, especially when it catches blue sky. There's a real mirror like quality to the top coat!

armedferret likes this.
  13. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    If you can DIY you will save a lot of money. If I couldn't, I don't think I'd be able to afford ownership. That being said I've dumped about $7k in parts over the last year and only got to put 50 miles on (not entirely the car's fault and that also includes some upgrades). These cars are phenomenal once all of the hand grenades are sorted out, and there are many. Some other things that I would verify are done due to high fail rates are:

The engine mounts, trans mounts, suspension bushings, etc. These cars are old and that stuff doesn't last forever. If the tail pipes hang low, the upper trans mount is probably shot. That often also causes coolant hoses to rip.

Regular coolant changes. The f355 uses the same heat exchanger but doesn't see the amount of failures the 360 does. I believe that is because when you pull the engine which is routine on those, you have to change the coolant. Iirc there isn't a maintenance schedule for coolant on the 360 so it sometimes isnt done.

On an F1 car, the older TCU programming isn't compatible with the knock off ferrari diagnostic tools. If you DIY that is important.

If the headlight level adjuster fails (which happens often) the headlights will haze and have to be taken apart to be properly cleaned. The only way to get a new part ATM is to buy new headlights. I'm working on making my own parts, I just have been busy.

A major service is a quite vague term. As far as the timing part of it goes, a lock and swap of the belts and bearings isn't going to be as good as replacing the 20 year old tensioners as well and degreeing the cams. I think most people just verify when it was done instead of asking how it was done.

The clutch wear is rather important. Parts wise it is the most expensive routine procedure on this car that I have seen so far *knock on wood*

Best of luck on your search

14. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Lots of wisdom here. I'm lurking until I pull the trigger on a Ferrari, but I've come across many owner comments that these comments address.

There have been more than a few DIY owners that have identified issues with their 348/355 that they wouldn't have noticed if not for the engine out maintenance.

Many DIY owners are using the "International" version of the Launch X431 Pro Mini scan tool for all their 360 needs, including bleeding, resetting, and adjusting the PIS on the F1. The only caveat is that the TCU software must be recent, or a Challenge Stradale TCU software upgrade.

I've heard about interior headlight cover haze, but not that it's due to the level adjuster. Can you point me in a direction to learn more? What part are you working on?

I agree. There are few DIYs on degreeing the 360 cam, but not much in-depth discussion on why it's important. I also think that some wrecked heads are blamed on variators when it may have been a failed tensioner.

15. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I did a thread called 360 headlight rebuild that discusses what I know and what I am working on.

16. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I have put 76,000 miles on a 2003. Its has cost $1.25 per mile to keep it alive.

17. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Thanks for the DIY headlight cover and adjuster repair post.

imahorse likes this.
  18. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    Question, is there any truth to the fact the a EURO 360 is "better" than a USDM 360?
    As in more powerful and lighter?

There must me something off with this car for sale as it is still sitting...yet I have heard EURO cars are better?

19. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    I was considering this car but once I was told it was completely repainted I was over it. Euro car, non red, repaint and the asking price knocked it completely out of consideration. Of course I knew the price going in and figured it could be negotiated but after lengthy conversations I got the vibe it was pretty firm. I love the color, the seats and the stance but it needs to be a lot less money wise.

20. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    I didn’t know it was repainted. Same color or was it a color change?

Regardless, I agree on your point on the asking

21. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Same color. The person I was speaking with said it was done due to lots of stone chips. I guess it was a local car and Colorado roads just like here in Az. are quite gritty. He said it was a glass out respray and high quality but his standards may differ from mine.

22. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    Wow. Thanks for sharing. I would understand the front bumper but a glass out... did they drive this in a coal mine? Lol

Tarek307 likes this.
  23. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I believe a Euro car is sightly lighter but I cannot confirm.

I don’t think it’s better than a US spec car, and neither is it worse - assuming it has been properly federalized to US DOT specs.