Sold - Momo steering wheel | FerrariChat

Sold Momo steering wheel

Discussion in 'Ferrari Parts & Collectibles' started by outlaw_singer, Jan 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. outlaw_singer

outlaw_singer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 23, 2015
    #1 outlaw_singer, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2021
    Hi everyone,

let me start by wishing all here a happy and healthy 2021. With a year like 2020 behind us, we can relate better than ever...

Few days ago i received a reminder, saying that my 1yr subscription had come to an end. That made me realise that amongst my new years resolutions for 2020 was written: sell some steering wheels from the collection. As it often goes with NY resolutions, that's what it remained at and instead of thinning out the heard, i did what i like best, continue to build the evergrowing collection of (mostly momo) steering wheels.
    Unfortunately, my house didn't grow along and the problem i was starting to face last year, has become an actual issue now. Therefor, time to renew that subscription and actually do something with it this year...

Up for sale is a wheel which may not sound very exotic at first, as the cavallino model isn't something i consider as a rare steering wheel. However, this is a special one, mostly because of the very uncommon color. In addition it has the rare 'donut' in the center which is something you hardly ever see. When i obtained this wheel i planned to look into it, hoping i would find some reliable info or paperwork but momo itself couldn't help me out, nor did the time i was able to spend on it (time, the main enemy...). And in all honesty, i don't know my way around as well in ferrari circles. I don't believe the cavallino itself ever was OE to a certain ferrari model, but i could be wrong here as well. Thing is, something tells me this particular wheel might have been something different, i don't know. Either way, i thought there might be some interest here since it's really unusual and in great condition as well. Would match well with a similar toned interior...

Interesting to know is the diameter of the wheel, 38cm. For condition, i think it's best to refer to the pics as they show better than any words. Simply said: I've been collecting intensive for quite some years now and I haven't seen another like it.

Asking 550Eur + shipping/paypal. Bank wire is option too if preffered.

Best wishes,
    Robin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  2. outlaw_singer

outlaw_singer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 23, 2015
    No takers yet. Not the right wheel for the ferrari crowd on here?

3. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    If it were black, I would be interested.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's a wonderful piece...call it Holiday/Election doldrums...the lack of chatter....it really needs a red interior car to set it off and there are not many.

For me only (since you asked!) the center doughnut is a cool trim, but I would not mount it.
    I think a lot of race cars actually did have this piece, safety.....Momo style, for whatever reason.
    I'm just used to the exposed six bolts...

I'm not going to repeat the post above, but my interior is black.
    :D :D :D

And my 1977 wheel is in excellent shape, except for the one handprint at 9:00, where some goof jumped in with brake fluid, antifreeze ..whatever on his hand, and my leather is cracking there, no matter how much love.

I know of course what shop did it.......

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's rare also MOMO did not date it...do you know when it was made??

IMO it would be a shame to destroy the OEM status by re trimming it in black....:/

6. outlaw_singer

outlaw_singer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 23, 2015
    Hi Bigtex,

I agree, red leather might work well, I hadn't even considered that option as tan was the first color to come to mind.

And you're right as well on the "donut". Personally I prefer the look without it myself as well although as a collector, I do know to appreciate it since I know it's a very unusual piece. The black cavallino version for example, never came with the round donut pad. Those that did have a center pad, had a triangular one.

On the missing date stamp, momo didn’t date any of it’s wheels before 1977 which could be a clue here. But the cavallino has been made over a long period making it a wheel that doesn’t look out of place in a lot of models.

Lastly, oh no, if I even were to know the buyer of this wheel would be retrimming the wheel in black, I wouldn’t even sell it. This wheel is too good and too special for that. And I’ve got plenty of black versions to offer at the same time… ;-)

7. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hello Robin, you have a pm.

Regards, Alberto

8. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
  9. outlaw_singer

outlaw_singer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 23, 2015
    Thanks for the offer but the wheel sold yesterday, i hadn't made it to update yet.