360 - Getting real close to a purchase, please stop me! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 Getting real close to a purchase, please stop me!

Discussion in '360/430' started by David Charles, Dec 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for sharing that!

Kevin

2. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Total engine failure is rare in any car, the only Ferrari 360/430 I know that had an issue was the guy already mentioned that was abusing the car while it had old weak variators.
    These are known to break and were supposed to be replaced per Ferrari service bulletin but he never did. Why would you do burnouts or hard launches with high mileage and on the original variators, you’d have to ask him.

there’s plenty of high mileage 360s and 430s.

you can buy a super low mileage car and have a great PPI and have massive repair bills, or you can buy a high mileage that was well-maintained, driven regularly, and lots of failure/wear points have been replaced and have few issues.

I like to say a lot of people can afford to buy a Ferrari 360 or 430, but few can afford to own and maintain them.

that’s why they are still rare cars despite their attractive price tag.

I personally don’t mind spending on the maintenance and repair bills, because the driving experience is like nothing else.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Gorgeous!! I never get tired of seeing pictures of your car.

I've heard stories, but have you ever had any issues with your wheels?

Thanks.
    Kevin

4. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Thx!
    No issues with the wheels.
    What have you heard?

5. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I had a similar dilemma with 360 or F430. Ultimately, I passed on the 360 based on maintenance costs, concerns about the feel of power when compared to modern faster cars, and potential for electrical gremlins. I didn't buy the most expensive F430 out there, and I don't have many concerns driving it around after having it checked out by a couple of reputable mechanics. I'm not worried about blowing an engine, just the little gremlins that pop up on a 15 year old car that are expensive due to the cost of parts.

Frankly, barring the F1 transmission, not much else concerns me while I'm driving. I'd have no concerns if I had a true manual transmission. As has been stated, knowing a great mechanic goes a long way. For example, I took my car over to Josh last year for routine stuff. He calls me up and tells me the F1 pump sounds weak, and while I could go on with it a while longer it's the type of thing that could go out unexpectedly, and leave one stranded. I proactively changed it, even though it was not "imminent". The car shifts better and now I have no worries about being stranded. Stuff like that. Clutch might be the only other thing that I have in the back of my mind nagging me, but that's a wear item; and I bought the car to drive it like it was meant to be driven, so that's just part of the cost of ownership to me.

I haven't driven a Cali, so take this with a grain of salt. I think the Cali may be more similar to your Porsche than the 360/F430, so keep the clinical Porsche, and complement it with a raw sports car (360/F430).

Jda550911 likes this.
  6. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    There happens to be a 430 in my price range, 2005. A lot more KMs than many of the cheaper 2004 360s, oddly enough.

7. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I have an 05, love it. It's my understanding that it was the first to really be considered a daily driver type. Anyway, it makes sense that they would have higher miles. If an F430 had the proper history, I wouldn't hesitate to by a 45-60k mile F430 for the right price.

8. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    It is clearly a more advanced car than a 360, no question.

9. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Aren't those the 18 inch magnesium challenge wheels? I've heard rumors they are too brittle for the street??

Kevin

Sent from my SM-G930P using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    Maine57S1 likes this.
  11. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
  12. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
  13. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    Sadly, they sold this car about an hour before I called. It was simply too good of a deal and another guy knew that. Oh well, I have to go back into waiting for another. You really need to be checking autotrader a few times a day to get a deal like this.

armedferret likes this.
  14. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    The only thing that worries me is that if you considered a Cali, you should probably buy a Mercedes

15. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    OK, not sure I understand why you would say that?

16. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #41 RichardCH, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    because a Cali is not a real Ferrari, its for housewives

Husker likes this.
  17. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike

....<ooof>....

Mike

armedferret likes this.
  18. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    Well, that very point has been debated on this forum many times, and ad nauseam in car circles. I think it's a silly thing to say, and of course is merely an opinion.

Still....I don't see how saying I would consider a California equates to, I should buy a Mercedes?

I am back looking for the right deal on a 360 or 430. That last one got away, which proves what I was saying earlier you have to be quick, and constantly monitoring autotrader.

pearsonhaus likes this.
  19. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al

Some of us choose different paths . I'm sure I made a great housewife before I grew up ... :p