Gintani ECU Flash for Pista | FerrariChat

Gintani ECU Flash for Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Jan 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’m getting my car lowered on novitec springs next week. The installer asked if I wanted to do an ecu tune on the Pista which increases hp by 80 and increase turbo boost.

While I’m not really keen on messing with the computer for the Ferrari, has anyone done this? Do you feel a difference and is it worth it? Cost is around 3k.

TIA.

wthensler and GT2goneF like this.
  2. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    First do you think you can use or need another 80hp? Secondly as you know...warranty voided with ECU tuning!

mdrums, GT2goneF and SoCal to az like this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Errmmm. Why would you even consider doing that? Is the power insufficient? I've found this is least of what this car needs more of. Brake upgrades, suspension alignments and/or full shock coilover changes yes, but power?

These tunes usually wind up making the car slower anyway and just turn up the rate of engine wear unless other upgrades like intercoolers, oil coolers, clutch packs etc are also upgraded....especially under sustained sporty or circuit driving. Even if they paid ME 3K i wouldn't do it. Even where the coils go id be inclined to leave it stock. The car has very little clearance underneath. Have you see how close the central rear brake duct sits as it is?

GT2goneF and SoCal to az like this.
  4. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So I was not planning on doing this. Was just more curious than anything. Novitec and lowering the car will be done for sure. Thx for the reality check.

5. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Gotcha! I’ve actually never heard of Gintani before. I would would trust Novitec or Mase in FL that does a lot of Ferrari tuning.

GT2goneF and SoCal to az like this.
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #6 Shadowfax, Jan 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    I can understand the coils as the wheel gap is somewhat excessive for a track focused car but then what about the shock valving? My understanding is its best to get the coils and shocks as a matched pair unless the existing shocks can be recalibrated. I recall watching a video from Porsche just how much time and effort goes into calibrating the shocks to the slightest spring pressure changes. It's a big thing. They do it on a circuit and bring the car in each time they change spring rates the shocks come off and valving is changed. Have you seen the vid? It's pretty intense what they go through to get the coils and shocks working in perfect symphony.

GT2goneF likes this.
  7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #7 Shadowfax, Jan 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    I wouldn't trust any of them. When Ferrari gave the 488 engine 50 more horses they changed pistons, and a whole range of parts before they worried about turning up the wick. And Novitec will sell you a muffler that fries the PPF of your rear bar going by one members recent experience so I'm not convinced their R and D is much chop. I think the marketing angle gets their main focus....recovered in the exorbitant pricing. And R and D? Do they even know what that is? Maybe if it doesn't blow up something on the dyno then it gets the all clear......good to go to market. When you consider what Ferrari goes through to add 50Hp you see why Ferrari cans the warranty with these tunes.

8. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I disagree with the conventional wisdom of “ why increase HP” with an ECU tune. It could give you bragging rights and subliminal ecstasy. My only reservation based on my recent battery issue and dealer service intervention was the flack I took for changing my oil and filter. It was like I committed heresy.
    Risk taking behavior is part of owning a supercar. Just make sure if you have any any tunes or ECU upgrades they are reset to factory values before calling on service.

johnr265 likes this.
  9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Don't do the tune by my Kline exhaust

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    English please. Lol

kane00, Jo Sta7 and Gh21631 like this.
  11. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    The impact on the car from the tune is very heavily dependent on the tune itself. Some tunes are very aggressive, while others are really mild.

Now if you look up Gintani tunes on social media or Youtube, you will quickly discover what Gintani is known for. If you want to turn your Pista into a machine gun sounding flame spitter, then go Gintani. I personally find that type of noise obnoxious. Also I'm sure you can imagine what constant fireballs does to your engine's lifespan....

Gh21631 and SoCal to az like this.
  12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yeah- I don’t even know what I was thinking asking about the tune. Had no intention of doing it. Just was thrown my way as an option and I know nothing about it.

13. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    If you tune, I would not do anything by Gintani (no exhaust or tune). I would only trust Novitec and Kline.

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would like to hear your thoughts on how the car drives after the NR suspension change.

SoCal to az and GT2goneF like this.
  15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    For sure. I’ll do a full report.

16. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Don’t know about the Pista, but the 458 sits too high and needs to be lowered a bit. I like Novitec because it doesn’t commit you to the entire 30mm.

As for tune, I put a Mase Tune in my 458 and honestly can’t tell the difference. It certainly didn’t improve low end grunt (ok, it’s NA).

I admire your courage to experiment......

SoCal to az likes this.
  17. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    If you need more power on road, do it.
    If you often go full throttle, do it.
    If you going in drag races, or just want to be faster than stock 720 or light tuned 911Tt and m5 f90, do it.
    Totally different performance for 3K, what can be better? (Difference before and after tune not so big like between 458 and 488, but bigger than between 488 and pista)
    Warranty is off, but reliability of your car in stock -150-200 000 kms. After tune 120-150 000. Anyway, you’ll sell it in 20.000 max, so...

PS spacers, springs, and even bigger wheels are much worse mods for car character and driving pleasure, if you really push it and feel the car, and not just cruising.

18. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I don't but more then a few people with Pistas/720s in SoCal have a Gintani tune.

19. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    To the poster talking about returning to the factory tune before service, reflashing can be detected as well as the number of times the computer has been flashed.

20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I am fairly certain they are reselling one of several other tuners programs just dint know which one. There are only a few out there that can do this but many remarket and sell under their labels.

21. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Personally, I would not mess with a Pista's ECU. I'd do aftermarket wheels and that's about it...maybe Novitec springs...I like them on my 488GTB but for a Pista, I'd just have a race shop lower it about 10mm, corner balance and align.

22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Nothing wrong with swapping the springs, in fact it will work out better than just lowering on the stock springs.

GT2goneF likes this.
  23. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    fwiw, in california, gintani is more of a well known name than it is nationally and worldwide. that said, they're not necessarily famous for performance tuning though. they better recognized for their work and tuning for hooning about (adding 'power,' better donuts, more exhaust flames, more pops and burbles on overrun, etc).

if you do a tune, i'd make sure they walk you through exactly what they're changing. i've done a tune before, but i'd personally never do one unless the shop doing the tune is nearby where you live.

as for novitec, i wouldn't go near their tune, esp. as it is turned "on" and "off" with the manettino. i really don't like that they mess with anything related to the manettino settings. i've also had serious issues with one of their products and was met with nothing but finger pointing.

24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Just to reiterate. No plans in doing he tune. I am lowering and using Novitec springs.

GT2goneF and SECRET like this.
  25. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I am aware. But it doesn't mean that it is quality. There is very little know about this company and don't carry the same legacy as Kline and Novitec.