360 - Ferrari 360 Backfiring | FerrariChat

360 Ferrari 360 Backfiring

Discussion in '360/430' started by willmusemusic, Jan 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. willmusemusic

willmusemusic Rookie

Jul 9, 2020
    Somerset Kentucky
    Full Name:
    William Muse
    Hello! I have a Ferrari 360. When starting my car it seems to be running very poorly. It also will very loudly backfire when giving it any gas. It did this once before a few weeks ago at a shop, but they did the ECU reset procedure and it fixed this issue. The car was good for a while, but it is now backfiring once more. Even after me trying the ECU reset procedure, the car is still backfiring and running horribly. My battery voltage is good as well. I have codes P1392 for timing sensor and P1530 for timing variator position not reached. I am wondering if this sensor would be responsible for the car backfiring. Has anyone experienced backfiring and the car sound poorly from their 360? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks so much!

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Not enough information to diagnose this. No insult intended but people tend to leave out details. They say 'the car started running bad and it ran great before'. You ask and they say 'No, nothing was done, it just started doing this.' You look and spark plug wires are reversed. When confronted by physical evidence that they made changes they say 'Well, I touched it but I put it back like it was.' IE: the first answer wasn't true and left out details making it impossible to tell what is really happening. I have seen this kind of thing more times than I can count. SO, there is not nearly enough information to figure out what happened in your case. That you had it in the shop but glossed over that causes concern for the above. BUT: If I had to guess, I would guess that the belts were changed and not done correctly.

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Could be as simply as very low oil to most likely a variator solenoid issue ..search this forum for alot of info including if your 360 was affected by the ferrari TSB

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Did you get out on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

But it did remind me of a gentleman who was asking for help on his car and adamantly claimed that it was bank 1. Many postings later, we found that he could not tell bank 1 from bank 2.

But to the original poster of this issue, why were you at the shop the first time?

5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Did they change the belts whilst the car was in the shop? Does sound as if the timing could be out.

What is the shop saying on the matter? Surely they have to accept that there is a very high chance that something they did caused this?

6. willmusemusic

willmusemusic Rookie

Jul 9, 2020
    Somerset Kentucky
    Full Name:
    William Muse
    The engine was removed on the vehicle and everything was resealed as well as a new clutch and flywheel about a month ago.

7. willmusemusic

willmusemusic Rookie

Jul 9, 2020
    Somerset Kentucky
    Full Name:
    William Muse
    Yes, the engine was just removed from the vehicle to be resealed as well for the trans to be resealed and for new clutch and flywheel. The belts were not touched by the shop. They stayed on the car when the engine was removed. Belts were done by Ferrari a year ago!

8. willmusemusic

willmusemusic Rookie

Jul 9, 2020
    Somerset Kentucky
    Full Name:
    William Muse
    The car ran amazingly following this engine out service! The shop ran into the same issue with the backfiring, but a ECU reset fixed the problem. I then put about 100 glorious miles on the car and it started beautifully every time. It sat for three weeks over the holidays and due to snow, and now it is backfiring. ECU reset is not fixing my problem, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with a backfiring 360? Thanks so much!

9. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I went to back to my Doctor after having heart surgery because I was having palpations. He Didn’t do an ekg. He hooked me up to a defibrillator shocked me in the office and then sent me home because my heart felt better. Did no further tests. I felt better for a couple of weeks now I have palpations again. I tried to shock myself but it doesn’t help.

I’m not being a smart a$$ just trying to make a point.

I am not a pro.

Engine out to seal?
    So why exactly was the engine taken out?

Could be simple issue but but what codes were read before the ECU reset? What codes present now? That seems like they did an awful lot of work so they owe you at least an explanation as to what’s wrong. Not just a reset of the computer.

Btw- Check the battery, may be low voltage condition after sitting for 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. willmusemusic

willmusemusic Rookie

Jul 9, 2020
    Somerset Kentucky
    Full Name:
    William Muse
    Engine was pulled so that a full reseal could be done. Also they did the heat exchanger, clutch, flywheel, TOB, and much more. We basically did a full refresh of anything. Motor was pulled for more access. These are the codes before the ECU was reset and the codes now. Battery is good!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    How difficult it is to interchange sensors on the 360 for evaluation? I can't see the connector in this photo.

I see there are o-rings involved, so it may be harder than it looks.

Perhaps at least check for loose connectors?

12. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Timing is off? If the reseal also include the front main bearing seal, that imply the timing belts was removed. You might want to confirm that with the shop.

13. willmusemusic

willmusemusic Rookie

Jul 9, 2020
    Somerset Kentucky
    Full Name:
    William Muse
    Yeah front main was not done. That along with the cam seals were done back when the belt was done over a year ago by Ferrari before I owned the car. I was at the shop, and the entire process was documented, and the belts never came off of the car.

14. willmusemusic

willmusemusic Rookie

Jul 9, 2020
    Somerset Kentucky
    Full Name:
    William Muse
    It's easy to remove the sensor from the valve cover. They're torqued to 8nm, O ring is no big deal. The issue is following the wire into the harness deep under the intake manifold, that's quite a pain.

Qavion likes this.
  15. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    At this point, it doesn't hurt to check that all the electrical connectors are tight. The tech do need to disconnect them when pulling the engine out.

16. willmusemusic

willmusemusic Rookie

Jul 9, 2020
    Somerset Kentucky
    Full Name:
    William Muse
    Yes. The connectors under the intake manifold are pretty hard to see and feel. Very little access!

17. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    How 'bout making sure that you have good, tight grounding straps from the engine to chassis?

Qavion likes this.
  18. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Neglected to add: do a visual and measure resistance on straps.

19. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I’m no pro. I bet it’s a connector(s) as mentioned, all codes seem to be bank2.

With no disrespect not sure why this falls on you. A shop pulled the engine out of a running car for maintenance, correct? Now you are having problems. Shop should make good on their work.

I’m still not sure why engine was removed. What specifically was “resealed” that required engine out? Not nit picking. Looks like cam cover gaskets from pics, and i presume intake manifold gaskets since they did heat exchanger also. Just making a point perhaps the job was unnecessarily complicated by pulling motor which now got you this.

Maybe a pro will comment on need for engine removal.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

E60 M5 likes this.
  20. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Just to reseal the engine cam covers, I certainly would not remove the engine. But, there is a lot of work here including the complete removal of the gearbox (which is a big task in itself) as well as the removal of the heat exchanger in the middle of the V plus headers. I can see the reason to suggest an engine removal for the totality of the work. I don't know that shop but it does not look like a Ferrari specific shop. For a job this big, you want to take it to a shop that mostly works in Ferrari and not your Imports Specialty that will work on any marque.

Now that it is not running well, it is the responsibility of the shop to make it right. You need to take it back and tell them to get it right before you come back.

21. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    On a different topic. That engine got some silver paint sprayed on the side and front/back. First time I'm seeing this. Most likely from underneath while the engine still in the car based on what got painted... Which begs the question: was there anything to hide? It was not a particularly good job...

22. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Boy and I thought I had seen it all. Pull the engine to seal it up and don’t replace the timing belt while in there.. then when car backfires they reset ecu and give it back to customer...

check timing then check the sensors. Backfiring is timing or lack of ignition..

Apollo 11 likes this.
  23. willmusemusic

willmusemusic Rookie

Jul 9, 2020
    Somerset Kentucky
    Full Name:
    William Muse
    $5,000 belt job with cam seals and front main was just done in March of last year, 1,000 miles ago. I saw no point for the belts to be done again when the engine was removed. I have changed out the cam sensors and that didn't help. I have two timing codes. When the engine was out of the vehicle, the belts did not come off of the car. What is weird is that I drove the car over 80 miles home from the shop, and it was perfect. I also drove it later that weekend on December 19th and it was perfect. Now it sat for three weeks due to the holidays and snow, and its running like crap. My battery voltage is good too. I'm quite worried about it, as this car is my pride and joy haha! Cheers!

24. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    I wish I had technical advice to offer, but just want to say William, sorry to hear you're having this problem. I know you spent a lot of time, money, and effort on this car, so I know it must feel heartbreaking to have to go through this. Really hope you the best and sending good vibes your way that this gets sorted out.

Sent from my LM-V350 using FerrariChat.com mobile app