BBR Model Repair - Where? | FerrariChat

BBR Model Repair - Where?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by PaulK, Jan 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi Everyone,

I shamefully damaged the paint on my BBR Ferrari Idea F355 when it slipped out of my hand. Immediate regret I assure you. I tried to fix it myself and made the problem worse because I put down some masking tape and I forgot about the badge decal and pulled it off when I removed the tape! UGH this is really driving my OCD off the charts let me tell you.

Anyone know where I can get this fixed correctly with the right shade of paint and correct decal? This one had a bad box but it was complete and it was perfect living on my desk. Now I can't stand to look at her I am so mad at myself. If anyone could point me in the right direction of someone whom has experience with this kind of repair that would be great. Bonus if anyone knows how much I could expect to pay for this kind of repair. Thank you.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    #2 Rosey, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    My advice would be to contact your local modelling plastic kit club- this might be them.

https://www.midmichiganmodelmakers.com/

There will we be plenty of experts there that can fix your model back to new (only issue may be the Ferrari decal but I'm sure they would be able to find a solution for that too).

I'm sure you will find a lovely group of people that share your passion for models and have the skills to repair it professionally.

Your repair would be a walk in the park for these guys.

Check out their work.

https://public.fotki.com/midmichiganmodelmakers/members_models/

PaulK likes this.
  3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    As Mark pointed out contact them.
    I would also ask Steve at Pasteiners to give you some names of SE Mi modelers, he knows who can do what.
    And last but not least, the https://www.facebook.com/DetroitAreaAutoModelers
    the Detroit Area Auto Modelers can steer you in the right direction
    Good luck!

PaulK and Rosey like this.
  4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you both! This looks like the ticket. Let's see how it goes.

Rosey, gt4me and jm2 like this.
  5. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    There used to be a place in Owosso called Automodelli. This goes back many years; not sure if there still around, but it may be worth a try.

PaulK likes this.
  6. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Steve, I tried searching for them but they look to be out of business. :(

7. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Yes Automodelli is long out of business. Closed about 15 years ago.

You could try Dean Paolucci in Canada, and if you want to, then just send me a PM and I'll give you his contact info.

8. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Paul,

I gave Automodelli a try on a complete AMR build up for me, this was around 2002-03? Their work was very very good and compared equally to a factory AMR build.

Sorry to hear that they have since closed.

Good luck.

9. bradyward

bradyward Rookie

Nov 7, 2007
    NH
    Full Name:
    Brady Ward
    Try Dennis Koleber (Google search).

10. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you everyone! I managed to repair the model myself, but its nowhere near as good as a professional.

I sourced a BBR front badge decal and used the Dr. Colorchip touchup paint that I use on my 1:1 F355 to fill in the paint chips. (look on the drivers side fender right by the crease for the trunk). It looks pretty good but the color isnt a perfect match. I think once this hits the sun for a while it the color should darken because on my 1:1, you can't even see the Dr. Colorchip anymore.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nicolas21 and Rosey like this.
  11. Haoyangdong

Haoyangdong Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 23, 2020
  12. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    That's interesting... I have never known BBR to do any repairs. You can barely get any needed replacement parts. Do you have any personal experience with BBR actually doing a repair for you?

13. Haoyangdong

Haoyangdong Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 23, 2020
    Yes BBR repaired my models and they do send out replacement parts for me.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Hmm. Still can't believe that BBR would actually perform any repairs. And I know a few dealers who have tried (and given up) to get basic photo etch replacement parts, and BBR never delivered those. Also, my personal experience with them, since the 1980s has never been very positive.

15. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I second that.

I've been collecting models for decades, and with few exceptions once the models have left the factory gates the manufactures don't really want to know about them again.

After sales is not their strong point.

16. Haoyangdong

Haoyangdong Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 23, 2020
    I only buy models from BBR model store instead of buying from other dealers. This maybe why BBR repair the models.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Ronald A. Berke

Oct 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Modena-Andiamo
  18. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I've also bought directly from them, and customer service has always been lousy.