360 - 360 alarm issue | FerrariChat

360 360 alarm issue

Discussion in '360/430' started by slracing, May 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    Asking for a friend who has an issue with his alarm as follows: - alarm goes off- LED indicator flashes constantly- blinkers flashes also constantly- fob works normal- car driver great...whats going on??? When inside the car you can hear a ticking noise behind the driver seat- its one of the modules I assume.
    Is it just the battery going bad? Pulling out the siren...this is what I noticed: Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    The siren typically dies when the rechargeable batteries (soldered, not replaceable like in a $5 toy) are beyond their working life and start to leak acid onto the board inside rendering it useless. If you catch it early enough they can be sourced cheaply and replaced but you need to cut the siren open to see. Otherwise a new siren is needed.

The ticking is very likely to be coming from a failing immobilizer unit behind the seat. The relays start clicking... ho hum. Read Ferrari 360 Immobilizer and Swiss Army Knife threads then come back to me and I can help you whatever route you choose...

3. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    Thanks 360Trev. So there are two separate issues then- siren and immobilizer unit? I will have look into buying a new siren- any suggestions where to look for one other than from the Ferrari store itself? Links appreciated...

4. Lou Lollio

Lou Lollio Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    Encinitas, California
    Full Name:
    Lou Lollio
    I am having a 2003 Ferrari 360 Spider an alarm issue with the alarm not working. I can lock the doors fine. When I open the doors with the alarm set it just blinks the lights but no siren. I think the siren is bad. Any help is appreciated. Is it hard to replace if it is the siren? How much does it usually cost? Could it be any other issues?

5. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Easy to replace. Takes ~ 1hr going slowly. 2 choices..OEM $$$$$$, or a GM bit$$...but may not be fully functional

6. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    go into the technical thread at the beginning of this area and look up "killing the little red LED"

there is a fully descriptive process there to correct the siren and the dash LED

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #7 Qavion, Dec 15, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    Is the clicking at the same rate as the flashing LED?

The immobiliser also illuminates the flashing turn indicators when the alarm is triggered, but I don't know if the immobiliser (internally) uses old fashioned (noisy) relays or (quiet) solid state devices. The normal hazard/flasher unit (under the dash) operates in parallel with the immobiliser system (via a couple of wiring splices).

There are a dozen relays behind the driver's seat. Can you isolate the sound to the main immobiliser unit?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

(EDIT) That diagram may be slightly misleading. The immobiliser is behind the small box with the "+" on it (i.e. the battery bus terminal "9H").

8. Lou Lollio

Lou Lollio Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    Encinitas, California
    Full Name:
    Lou Lollio
    Thanks for all the help. I will get this sorted out. Best always, Lou Lollio

Qavion likes this.
  9. gidleigh

gidleigh Karting

Nov 27, 2010
    Coronado, Ca
    Lou as I mentioned to you before the part is GM part # 15213135 at about $80. It is a Bosch part and worked perfectly in my 360

Gary

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Gary- Check and see if you can actually get the alarm to go off. That has been the problem with the unmodified GM sirens. Beep fine, no steady LED, start fine, but the alarm function does not work.

Qavion and brookliner7 like this.
  11. gidleigh

gidleigh Karting

Nov 27, 2010
    Coronado, Ca
    Yes a couple of times. The exact reason it went off is a little vague. Maybe opening the locked car from the inside and opening the hood. But it definitely has gone off. Also I believe it is the exact same Bosch part.

12. Lou Lollio

Lou Lollio Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    Encinitas, California
    Full Name:
    Lou Lollio
    Is this my friend in SD Ferrari Club? Thanks for the update. Lou

13. gidleigh

gidleigh Karting

Nov 27, 2010
    Coronado, Ca
  14. Lou Lollio

Lou Lollio Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    Encinitas, California
    Full Name:
    Lou Lollio
    Hi Gary:
    I thought so. I posted this back a while. I think I understand the process of what I have to go through and it matches exactly what you said. The Alarm price is up to $125 now which is still not bad. I am hesitant to tear the car apart at this time. Maybe in the near future I will tackle it. Thanks again for your advice which is exactly what the feedback I received here.
    Lou

15. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Be careful if using the GM siren, I've tried 2 now and neither of them have worked properly.
    In both cases the solid red light stays on and no sound is produced either on locking or on setting the alarm off.

The genuine Ferrari item is pricey, ($500) but there is a chap (on here maybe?) called Mark (Gobble) who has taken a new GM siren and recoded the internal electronics to fully emulate the Ferrari article.
    I believe that he sells them for $250 or so, that'll be my next stop I think.

Qavion likes this.
  16. Lou Lollio

Lou Lollio Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    Encinitas, California
    Full Name:
    Lou Lollio
    Hi Derek:
    Thanks for the update. I would be interested in the other option if you have a link?
    Thanks,
    Lou

17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Here is a link. Get this one. https://www.ferrarifobs.com/sirens

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

18. derekmines

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Indeed, that's Mark's product that I referred to earlier.
    I bought one a couple of months back and it's now installed in my car, fully operational as per factory.

Definitely no hesitation in recommending.

Need4Spd likes this.
  19. Dino6304

Dino6304 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2020
    CT
    Full Name:
    Laurence
    After reading this thread I discovered that my 2002 Modena has a non functioning siren. I am sure that it is the original.
    Does this need addressing immediately or can I replace the siren at a later date. Another option is to simply unplug the connection to the siren. Is it possible to unplug the harness from the siren via access through the brake fluid reservoir compartment. That would surely make this easy.

20. Dino6304

Dino6304 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2020
    CT
    Full Name:
    Laurence
    I found the great write up in the technical section.
    Very helpful
    Not sure whether to simply unplug the harness or replace the unit.
    I wonder how long it takes once the unit fails for the acid to blow the alarm fuse

21. derekmines

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Judging by the internal state of my original when I opened it up I would say it is unlikely to ever blow the fuse!

The siren is best replaced through the removal of the panels lining the frunk - it's slightly fiddly to actually remove the siren from the car but nothing that 10 minutes with a ring spanner can't sort out.

22. Dino6304

Dino6304 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2020
    CT
    Full Name:
    Laurence
    I have decided to simply unplug the harness. I had planned on removing the trunk lining to replace those nasty leather straps.
    Many thanks for the posts