V-12 Maintenance | Page 4 | FerrariChat

V-12 Maintenance

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Highmiler, Dec 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
  2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I may have an extra temp trim plate. I'll check.
    The fan switches are the same style used in many cars and the little plastic caps are easily found and inexpensive.

Example:
    https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/part/ferrari/257-80-866-00

I'll see if I can find a link where I got the switches themselves. Pretty sure it was a British car place. The switches are the same but the old style chrome look in the British and earlier Ferraris are just covered by the plastic cap.

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    @Newman recommended Europa Spares (https://www.europaspares.com) , Merlin is another alternative (https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/electrical/toggle-switches): slightly more expensive, but more references than Europa Spares.

On these websites the Lucas reference are clearly shown, so you can check these numbers with your local suppliers, but these two UK sellers are not expensive even when factoring for overseas shipping. I found a bunch of these switches in the backyard of my mechanic (they service lots of Jaguars).

4. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Thank you my friend for the reference.
    Mucha appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Thank you very Muchas.

6. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary

Hello,

Example of the heater control https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/part/ferrari/257-86-200-10

Example of the fan control https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/part/ferrari/257-86-244-10

7. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
  8. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Good evening gentlemen:
    Today while driving with A/C on, I notices a wire, metal burning smell, later I started investigating and found the following burnt brown cable and connects.
    I would appreciate your advice as far as what this cable is for and how to best deal with.
    I tried finding the cable in the wiring diagram attached but was not able.

Thanks
    @bjwhite
    @reamin
    @Highmiler

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #84 raemin, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    The 400 and 412 do have very different fusebox unfortunately. So Paul Bennett diagram will not help a lot.

I've never worked on a 412 fusebox. This being said, on these cars, this is usually the injection related relays. You should test with a ohm meter if these cables are connected to the pump relay or the cold start valve relay. Looks like the later one.

10. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Thanks Raoul.
    My car is a 400, (1984)
    I want to repair this but also understand why it overheated so that it doesn’t happen again.

By the way. The car runs normal with the burn which most likely is not transmitting current.

11. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    When the fuel pumps go bad, or the fuel filter, or the tank filter screens get clogged, the amp-draw rises considerably which burns the electrical connectors.

12. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Now I understand, I was texting with my genius friend mechanic, I told him what happened and showed him the photos to what he replied, "I can fix that and we need to fix your fuel pumps" I didn't know what he was talking about.

Thanks

raemin likes this.
  13. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #88 raemin, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    I do not know if the 400 gen2 fuel delivery is like the 412 or still like the 400i gen1. This car is a bit of a mix: the k-jet and ignition is still from 400i gen1, the camshafts are slightly offset (but probably not as much as 4° like on the 412), So I do not know for sure if the tanks and fuel pumps are similar to the 412 or to the 400i gen1.

Assuming these are like the 400i gen1, you should replace the screen filter in the tanks. These are impossible to find, but a Jeep CJ7 (1972/1986) screen filter can do the trick (got the tip from the BB forum). I do prefer to hack some AC Delco fuel strainers, that's not a direct swap like the Jeep filters, but the filtering element looks better to me. Whatever you choose, replacing these screens is extremely important, as the fuel filters are located after the pump, so the pumps do swallow whatever debris are in the tanks if the screens are broken. $6 each.

As far as the fuel filters are concerned, MAHLE EFG22 are a direct substitute to the BOSCH 0 450 905 021. I am buying these because they are so cheap that I can basically change them as part of the yearly maintenance ($9.30 on eBay). As said, the cleaner the filter, the lower the amp-draw of the pumps, so it's really a no-brainer for me.

Side note: these MAHLE do work perfectly on my 400i, but may not fit in another Ferrari of that era, as they are slightly more fat than the bosch one. In the mid-engines Ferraris, filters are crammed next to each others. in these cars, the additional width of the filters could be an issue.

14. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Ricardo.....2 causes for the common "burned contact".....over amped and under connected, as in loose, corroded, barely adequate to begin with.
    Quick fix is just jumper the two wires back together, only do a better job than OE. Or find the connector, replace the fuse box with a rebuilt fuse box, or install a secondary relay in the circuit to lower the amp load.

Gary

15. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Thank you for the tip Raoul, I will be going over the issue this weekend.
    Great tips.

16. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Thank you Gary.

17. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Gentleman
    Looks like my 400i could benefit from a fresh set of shocks
    Can you guys recommend what and where to purchase?
    @raemin @bjwhite

18. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Gooooood question. You might do some searching here about the rear self-levelers. Some places can rebuild them, but I've not had to do it myself so. Not sure if the people mentioned still do it.

19. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Thank you for your reply
    I will look and post accordingly
    Thanks

20. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Your car is a generation 2, so you do have some "Mercedes Like" rear suspension (based on a Citröën Patent). For the proper operation of these suspensions, leaky "spheres" have to be replaced.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrari-412-rear-shock-absorbers.599609/#post-146588826
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/400i-series-2-self-leveling-suspension.618728/#post-147113295

Please note that I do not have such suspension in my car (400i gen1), but here in France, many cars were equipped with such setup, and replacing the cheap spheres was part of the regular maintenance. What prevents us from doing the same is because the Ferrari spheres do have a specific mounting tab (see the above mentioned posts), so unless the previous owner adapted mercedes spheres to your car, your are probably running on spheres that should have been replaced 20 years ago.

21. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Hello
    A few months ago I replaced the spheres with Mercedes as you mention.
    Right now, one of my rear shocks is leaking and the overall ride of the car feels a bit clunky so I think new shocks will do the trick.

Additionally and just to share, next week I will be replacing the rear portion of my exhaust with ANSA replacements.

Thank you for your message

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Are you using the proper fluid?

In the past old ATF was Ok for both gearbox and other hydraulic component. Newer blends are only appropriate for the gearbox. For instance my power steering is leaking like hell when using regular ATF. I've switched to Motul HF fluid, that is dedicated to power steering and suspension. Problem solved.

Rough guess : The hot viscosity of ATF is more or less the same between old DII & modern DIII / DIV, however the cold viscosity of newer ATF is significantly lower than older ATF. This is not an issue in the gearbox that works at high temperature, but I suspect this is a problem for the power steering and suspension that are nowhere near 100°C.

I like Motul products :
    If I were based in the US I would buy the Redline equivalents.

23. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    @raemin Now you have made me doubt what my problem is, in the first instance my mechanic told me that soon I would need to change the rear shocks because one of them was leaking, in addition my right is a little clunky so that makes me believe that I do I need the shocks.

I had the spheres replaced because my ride was very bouncy, changing the spheres resolve the problem, then I had a leak because one of the horses had corroded with the fluid and all leaking problems stopped.

Unfortunately I left my car in my warehouse this weekend but as soon as I get my hands on it again I will definitely take a close look to see if this suspension it’s leaking elsewhere or in fact the leak is coming from the shock

24. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Friends:
    Just a quick note to let you all know that I am selling my wonderful 400 on BAT and the sale will conclude on Monday.
    I have been enjoying the car for 2 + years, it's all sorted out, and its just wonderful.

I have run out of space, as you will see in this photo plus I have too many cars to manage so here we have the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to acquire an all sorted out, beautiful, and bulletproof, unique and dependable daily driver.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-ferrari-400-11/

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    You got a good price for your car. Well done!