2021 Rolex 24 - Going or not? | FerrariChat

2021 Rolex 24 - Going or not?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 400iGuy, Dec 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

If you were going to go to the Rolex 24, are you going to go now?

1. Yes, I'm still going to attend.

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. No, I think I'll give 2021 a pass.

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  1. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
  2. Melons

Melons Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2013
    I am tired of this overblown pandemic. What a bunch of ****.

alum04org and lorenzobandini like this.
  3. Not.

Haven't been since an early GARRA run. 'Not into the cars and BoPing.

A little TV (or, not) now and then during the race suffices.

Every now and then I'll run up to Daytona or Sebring for the Pilot Challenge if I get a bug up my arse....

4. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    As long as I can still watch the 1st two hours of the race from the grandstand (I always sit up high right after the first turn into the infield part of the road course after pit lane) and then move to the infield for a few more hours of viewing then I will go. If limited to only grandstand or only infield then I won't go.

I will miss the grid walk but that is always packed shoulder-to-shoulder so it is understandable that it is cancelled.

Manda racing likes this.
  5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have been to 4 of the last 5. My wife is due Feb 15th so even without COVID I think it would be cutting it too close.

I am actually really excited about this year. The changing programs in DPI, the additional P2 cars, the addition of what will be a trainwreck in P3 and some interesting 1 off GTD entries. Should be a good one.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  6. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Leaning towards no for the first time in well over a decade, but will talk it over with Mrs. Rosso and decide in the next couple of days. With no paddock access, limited infield bleachers, roving bands of mask nazis, we’d be pissed off the whole four days.

Might as well stay home and be pissed off that we’re not there. Pissed off either way, but at home the wine is better, the seats are more comfortable and we have our own private bathrooms that Mrs. Rosso doesn’t have to line up for - and depending on the weather, infinitely more comfortable ones.

alum04org and lorenzobandini like this.
  7. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hey — didn’t the FCA have a track day a couple years ago the following weekday? I almost went.

8. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Current circumstances would make this race impractical. Maybe in the future.

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    According to Racer, IMSA is carrying on with Daytona and Sebring as scheduled.

“We will continue to operate under strict protocols to aid the wellbeing of all in attendance
    and will continue to follow all guidelines established by the Center for Disease Control.”

This would mean the paddock and pre-race pit lane are off-limits to spectators.

https://racer.com/2021/01/07/imsa-moving-ahead-with-daytona-sebring-plans-as-scheduled/

BHW

10. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Assuming no major "uptick" maybe the NASCAR group will find their cajones and allow spectators and relax the ridiculous required mask use. Things were pretty relaxed in December for HSR's events at Sebring.

11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

I went to the 6hr at Road Atlanta and the Mid-Ohio races last year. I never saw anyone actually checking that people were wearing masks. I found most people to be pretty good about keeping their distance or wearing a mask. When people were in their own little groups there was a lot less mask wearing, but when walking around or near the vendors most people did pretty good.

Daytona is different than Mid-Ohio or Road Atlanta but I have a feeling it will work the same way. Be respectful of others, don't cause a big scene, and people won't mess with you.

12. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    I cancelled for 2021 and will return in 2022. First time I will not go in 15 years. :(

13. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
  14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    If I can't get into the garages and paddock I'm not going. That's a major part of the attraction for me.

Frankly I think it's ridiculous. Given that I can attend a beach volleyball tournament nearby maskless with hundreds of people I don't see the difference. This is Florida after all. :)

Jakuzzi likes this.
  15. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    That is precisely the reason why I am not attending this year.

HotShoe likes this.