430 - Scissor Lifts | FerrariChat

430 Scissor Lifts

Discussion in '360/430' started by kromberg, Jan 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kromberg

kromberg Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Keith Romberg
    I am thinking about buying a scissor lift to help with working on the car. I have been looking at the Quickjack BL-5000EXT which I think will fit the bill. If I am measuring correctly, it looks like the distance between the two lift points is 66" which is the limit of the BL-5000EXT. Does anyone have any experience with this one or can recommend one they are using?

janmante likes this.
  2. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    I use this one, it's great. PITA having to lift, take the floor pan bolts out, drop the car, slide the pan out, get it lined up and lift again. But that's an F430 problem not a BL-5000 problem. I think Dan @whattheheck probably has a few videos using one if you want to see it in motion.

3. kromberg

kromberg Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Keith Romberg
    Cool and thanks for the info Marcoboxer. Is Dan a member here? If so, I will try to track him down as I would love to see the lift in action.

4. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    He is. Do a search for Whattheheck or Normal Guy Supercar or check out his videos on YouTube. I'm sure he'll be grateful for the clicks and he's probably got a video showing whatever it is you want to do....saving you some busted knuckles and valuable cuss words. PM me if you'd like to discuss the lift...or F430's in general.

janmante and VAF84 like this.
  5. kromberg

kromberg Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Keith Romberg
    Aahhhh... "Normal Guy Supercar" on youtube. I have watched a lot of his videos.

janmante likes this.
  6. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I'd not recommend the lift for Ferraris because of our large underbody plastic trays unless all you plan on doing is tire/brake work. The jacking point locations interfere with tray removal. You lift the car, remove the undercover bolts, lower the car, remove the jacks on one side, slide out the tray, raise it again, etc. You do it all again when you are done. I had the same problem with my 599. I upgraded to a 4-post lift because of that.

7. kromberg

kromberg Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Keith Romberg
    I would love to do a four post lift, but the HOA would **** a brick house if I installed one :D

Still doing those steps is better than than horsing around with jacks and jackstands. I have done that with other cars and never again.

8. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Those are two different people. ;)

(Whattheheck = danloyol on YT, NGS = Dhurlburt here)

But both are a wealth of information. :)

VAF84 likes this.
  9. Toonfosi

Toonfosi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2014
    Valley Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Chad Woods
    I love my Bendpak md6xp and have used it for many different cars. Getting the undertray off on the 360 isn't too bad, I just use a floor jack and two car ramps to do that before getting it on the lift. The only real pain is lining the car up myself on the stacked 2x12's before lifting...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Manda racing and armedferret like this.
  10. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    SingleClutch and armedferret like this.
  11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Why would they care? It is in the garage and you don't even have to bolt them down, my lift is bolted but it isn't necessary. Do they have a rule that you can't store stuff in your garage as well?

12. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Some HOAs resemble a certain 1930s/40s European governmental body with respect to their views on *ANYTHING* perceived as "vehicular maintenance". I've seen "no lifts allowed" out here in MD too. Friend of mine who just moved to Vegas had that in his neighborhood. He told 'em to get bent, it was for storage only, and put a 4-post up. Just kept the door shut when he did anything maintenance-related and got away with it fine.

SingleClutch likes this.
  13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I have the same lift ..i doubled the 2x12 to make 2x24 and out Jack snug in between .. no issue lining up ..not sure if that would help u

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Toonfosi likes this.
  14. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
  15. Alleykat

Alleykat Karting

Apr 2, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Flea7 likes this.
  16. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #16 Flea7, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021

-Whattheheck = Dan Loyola = How to do things the correct way.

-YT, NGS = Dan hurlburt = How to do things cheap and incorrectly... and has managed to catch his F430 on fire. LOL :confused:

Here is my set up with quickjack 5000ext....inspired by Allen. I did had to cut about 1/2" off the supplied rubber bock and use a hockey puck on top to use the rear mounting point. ...just the block up front. They also have options for wall hanging brackets to store on the wall.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Freddan and AandSC like this.
  17. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    In his defense HE didn't catch the car on fire, inattentive third party manifold coaters caused that. ;)

janmante likes this.
  18. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #18 Flea7, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    He went cheap....that's what you get going with a company that doesn't know what they are doing. Also, NOT understanding or knowing what a powdercoating vs. a ceramic coating looks like.
    There are many ,many issues with his "DIY's".

19. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    Ahh! Thanks for the clarification and apologies to the Dan’s for any (unintentional) mix up.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

20. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I have the Quickjack BL-5000EXT. It works well. As stated previously in this tread, because of the under tray, you must raise the car, remove most of the bolts, lower the car, remove the bolts that access to were blocked by the jack, slide one side out and remove the under tray. But for oil changes, F1 bleeds, gearbox oil change, and E-diff bleeds it is a life saver. Each side weighs 73 pounds and lifting them up on their storage brackets requires a man and a large boy, but they are affordable and secure. Just make certain they are perfectly parallel and the same distance from each front tire. Otherwise they can lower one side more than the other and potentially drop the car on its side.

The hoses could be longer, or they could sell extensions, so the pump could be wall mounted. The control cable for raising/lowering could be longer as well since you want to be able to monitor both sides quickly. Fill with Liqui Moly and pressurize the air tubes to 45psi (they lower the car by evacuating the hydraulic cylinders).

The photo shows one way to position the jacks. The other method is to use one jack for the front and the other for the rear. The later is safer but the former provides more work space.

Good deal as far as I'm concerned. BTW, it also effortlessly lifts my GMC Envoy.

Ray

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. mkt

mkt Karting

Sep 22, 2010
    Wassenaar, Holland
    Full Name:
    Maurice
    what is this brand?
    And are you happy with it?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

22. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    Yes we have a Quick jack and it works quite well though we do wish it was made of aluminum ! it is VERY heavy to lug around and line up !
    we have thought of trying to make some of those very small laser dot projectors like they use on handguns shining up thru the center of the rubber blocks/ hockey pucks to make it easier to line up exactly on the lifting points !
    BTW someone suggested order and use some of the ORANGE practice hockey pucks ! they have wood in the middle and are heavier and less squishy ! they do fit well in the recess of the under tray ! Image Unavailable, Please Login

armedferret likes this.
  23. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    BTW YES it is in the instructions , but a friend of mine forgot and did this ! DO NOT ever lower the quick jacks all the way down w/ weight on them ! they are NOT strong enough to raise unless they have a few inches to get started going up !
    ONLY use the two height stops than they supply !
    he had a hard time raising the car up a few inches so the quick jack would work ! ( as all the approved jacking points were covered up ! ) No the CF rotors were NOT damaged he had about 5mm clearance !

frankly, If you have the height in your garage? I would get a 2 post permanent lift w/ asymmetrical arms ( so you can easily open and close the doors) and use it !
    there are chi-com brands now for about 2-3 K $ and bend pack and Mohawk brands are very good ! Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    That was me.

Ray

janmante likes this.
  25. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    yes an indie tech told me too ! expect it is common knowledge now or your advice has become infamous ! LOL :)

Ray Smith likes this.