Best tires for a 488 Spider? | FerrariChat

Best tires for a 488 Spider?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jordanfsl, Nov 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Street use, not track. Looking for that best mix of performance and ride.

I know the Pilot Super Sports have been replaced by the Sport 4S, and there are a bunch of different ones on TireRack in the OEM size (labeled for Porsche, K1 Ferrari, K2 Ferrari, Audi, Ford, etc.). All the specs seem the same though?

2. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    I run R888s or P-Zero Corsas on my F8. Previously did the same with my 488 Spider. R888s are awful in the rain but P-Zero Corsas aren’t too bad. Certainly not as bad as Trofeo Rs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I'm leaning towards the Sport 4S, but there are soooo many different kinds...

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    For a 488 Spider on the street, get either the "general purpose" set in the following size.
    255/35R20
    315/30R20

The general purpose MPS4S run somewhat narrow, so the plus size is a better fit.

Alternatively, you can run MPS4S in the Porsche N spec. They are good tyres, but while their break-away is nice and progressive, they are quite prone to break away on the front first. This does get annoying, as it does with the Ferrari MPSS.

The general purpose is overall more neutral and feels better - and offers more grip.

Stay away from the K2 245. That is the Porto front, and it is stupidly narrow. The K1 245 is the Lusso front, and matches the 295 K1 rear.

Generally speaking, you are best off not mixing different OE sets as their characters can be vastly different. Mixing general purpose and OEM style tyres can usually work, but a full matched set is to be preferred.
    In case of the 488 Spider, run the plus sized set as suggested.

Do not, I repeat, do not run R888R's. They are okay for track, but garbage for street. Stay away from both Cup 2 and Corsa as well. For regular street driving, none of them offer better grip, and none of them have better comfort. The Cup 2 offers superior track performance, but below 55 C the MPS4S offers more grip. The Cup 2 is only an advantage if you can get them hot. The Corsa is a bit of the same, just not as good as Cup 2.
    The MPS4S is your tyre of choice.

Have fun.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Gh21631, 4_Eff_Sake and Need4Spd like this.
  5. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Are those the ones just labeled “Michelin Total Performance”? No K3, FP, AO, etc.

For lack of a better term, the standard MPS4S. Going to run the stock size to keep it easy, this is just street use anyways.

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Let me help you out a bit:)

Use this link to order. Standard MPS4S.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S&frontTire=535YR0PS4SXL&rearTire=13YR0PS4SXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Easy-peasy.:)

If you for some odd reason want to use the stock size seeing that the other is just as easy. here's the link. These are the Porsche N0 spec. But again, the other set will offer you better performance in all categories, including comfort.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S&frontTire=435YR0PS4SXLN0&rearTire=03YR0PS4SXLN0&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Chizz likes this.
  7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    What sizes do you suggest for MP4S for a 458 on OEM forged wheels?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Full Lusso set, hands down.

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    pcht5 likes this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No the K1 marked set.

Need4Spd likes this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
  12. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes, it is. The tyre will help some, but the biggest overall change is done with the setup. But the Lusso set will take care of some understeer on its own, just not all of it. There's more to it than just the understeer. The entire feel of the car with the slightly wider fronts just feel better. It's more planted in the front, more predictable and the suspension seem to settle down a bit. It just works.

338Lapua likes this.
  14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yep those are the ones. Don't forget to drop front pressure a bit:)

Need4Spd likes this.
  16. XselR8

XselR8 Rookie

Aug 16, 2020
    renton, wa
    Full Name:
    brian
    I need to re-tire my 488. Did the recommendations come down basically to Michelin pilot sport 4s with different opinions on size . Some of the tire names and lingo I wasn't familiar with. My car is for street use. I don't expect track use or if so very little. Thanks!!!!

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the recommended tyre,

You can either use OE size in which case the following set works well.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S&frontTire=435YR0PS4SXLN0&rearTire=03YR0PS4SXLN0&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Or you can do as some do and step up the size to 255 and 315 in which case this is the set.
    This size works very well and offer a bit more grip. It is not a dramatic increase, and it is not something you will view on the car as a massive change. In other words, you'd need a car with OE tyres next to it to really see the difference. Those of us who have tried this size like it because the MPS4S run a bit narrow compared to the OE MPSS, to this is basically a way to regain some tread width.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S&frontTire=535YR0PS4SXL&rearTire=13YR0PS4SXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

18. XselR8

XselR8 Rookie

Aug 16, 2020
    renton, wa
    Full Name:
    brian
    Thanks co-pilota. super helpful!

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Rears are not 295

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Need4Spd was asking about 458 tyres, hence the 295's.

MANDALAY likes this.