SD2 and SD3 software collection? | FerrariChat

SD2 and SD3 software collection?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ForzaLaVida, Jan 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ForzaLaVida

ForzaLaVida Karting

Sep 30, 2020
    Deltona Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom Dodd
    Hello, I'm looking for any and all SD2 and SD3 software/car config files. I'm more than happy to share what I have for the SD2.

2. ForzaLaVida

ForzaLaVida Karting

Sep 30, 2020
    Deltona Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom Dodd
    #2 ForzaLaVida, Jan 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    becir1 and Ray Smith like this.
  3. ForzaLaVida

ForzaLaVida Karting

Sep 30, 2020
    Deltona Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom Dodd
    Made some more progress! Got shell access to the SD2 tester! Checking commands now, but should be pretty easy to change the active model to Maserati!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

becir1, JazP and MCASEY like this.
  4. ForzaLaVida

ForzaLaVida Karting

Sep 30, 2020
    Deltona Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom Dodd
    Good news!

I can now change the mode of the SD2 between Ferrari, Maserati, and Both!

The startup splash changes to just "SD2" when put in Both mode.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

becir1 likes this.
  5. ForzaLaVida

ForzaLaVida Karting

Sep 30, 2020
    Deltona Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom Dodd
    More good news! I have acquired the SD3 model, and will include that software in the VM image i'm working on.

becir1, MCASEY and ChipG like this.
  6. JazP

JazP Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    Would you like to explain your project a bit? Are you working on a VM that can run the SD Software? So that I can use it to diagnose my car? I guess I'd need a piece of Hardware to connect the VM to my car then, or?

MK1044 likes this.
  7. ForzaLaVida

ForzaLaVida Karting

Sep 30, 2020
    Deltona Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom Dodd
    Hi, The VM will have all of the Ferrari software preinstalled, I'll include the pile of documents,schematics, and pics that I have in my collection. This project is aimed at giving everyone access! I am indeed slowly logging the SD2 and SD3 request and set commands so that we can be rid of all of these expensive and hard to find tools for the F cars, and allow us to use open hardware/software. I love the cars, but I do not like the hoops and money spent to work on them.

8. JazP

JazP Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    Then your idea is to extract the secrets from the SD (protocol, commands, answers)? Or is your target to create a VM that runs the SD Software? Thanks for sharing this with the community!

When I open the link you posted in #2, I find a screenshot. Is there anything else inside?

9. ForzaLaVida

ForzaLaVida Karting

Sep 30, 2020
    Deltona Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom Dodd
    It's both, for now, the VM will contain all of the software and documents I have collected, later on ill develop the hardware that can be used with the F-tools installed, but for people that already have the tools, this gives them easy access to everything in 1 shot.

2NA and MCASEY like this.
  10. ForzaLaVida

ForzaLaVida Karting

Sep 30, 2020
    Deltona Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom Dodd
  11. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    Wow! That’s a very cool project. Though I don’t know that our friends in Modena would be as enthusiastic.

becir1 likes this.
  12. ForzaLaVida

ForzaLaVida Karting

Sep 30, 2020
    Deltona Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom Dodd
    Perhaps not, we shall see. I should have Khalid's Maserati SD2 here soon, and i'll be able to demo the maserati version, sporting Ferrari diagnostics.

becir1 likes this.
  13. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  14. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you can pull this off so I can access my 2.7 Motronic F355 I will be a very happy man. Someone needed to do this!

15. ForzaLaVida

ForzaLaVida Karting

Sep 30, 2020
    Deltona Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom Dodd
    #16 ForzaLaVida, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    My tuning software has definitions for the 355 motronic 2.7 ecu's, and give me a second, but I think I have the 2.7 f355 diag files.

EDIT: Yes, I should be able to work on the 2.7 ecu's as soon as I'm done with the F1 system's, I also have a 360 CS TCU coming so I can start on it. along with several wiring harnesses for different cars, and a whole host of other small things I think will help out.

Attached Files:

PaulK likes this.
  16. ForzaLaVida

ForzaLaVida Karting

Sep 30, 2020
    Deltona Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom Dodd
  17. ForzaLaVida

ForzaLaVida Karting

Sep 30, 2020
    Deltona Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom Dodd
  18. JazP

JazP Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    Great stuff, thanks a lot for sharing! I was able to install SD1 and SD2 in a VM. But of course I couldn't do much with it as I have no tester hardware.

Do you think it is possible to connect a generic tester? Or is it "dongled" with the original Ferrari equipment?

By the way: Is this the original Software, e.g. the one that runs on the diagnostic computers?

19. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

LOL. You'll be making friends quickly.

And by 'friends', I don't really mean 'friends'

tazz99, SingleClutch and Island Guy like this.
  20. ForzaLaVida

ForzaLaVida Karting

Sep 30, 2020
    Deltona Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom Dodd
    The PC end of the software does load the handheld tester applications, but consider it to be a 2 part deal, first part allows testing from PC while the tester is just the interface, the second part is the loading of the tester applications to the handheld device for standalone use (with limitations) some software can only be ran from the PC due to size.

Since the PC software wants a COM port for connection, there is a "handshake" that happens. that will be easy to capture. It's possible to make a dumb interface for the sd2 software, I'm just not there yet.

becir1 and 2NA like this.
  21. JazP

JazP Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    Can imagine that. I spent $5000 for a Galileo Diagnostic tool some time ago.

I'm looking forward for that! In the end all older models use K-Line anyway. There are cheap adapters. They are USB, but a COM adapter should be easily possible, too. K-Line is (protocol-wise) very similar to serial COM (except for init).

Please let me know if you need support for your project.

22. ForzaLaVida

ForzaLaVida Karting

Sep 30, 2020
    Deltona Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom Dodd
    #23 ForzaLaVida, Jan 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    The Galileo is a perfect example of making a profit, by reverse engineering the commands sent and received, using official tools. No one has stopped them.

The K-2000 protocol is super easy stuff, for example, the 430 TCU, uses slow init for the first wake up then switches to fast init for reading/writing.

As things progress I'm certain help will be needed and I appreciate the offer, Not many people on here have even bothered to reply. No matter, progress will be made in time. Right to repair is becoming a bright subject in america. https://www.repair.org/stand-up

Also, Thanks to another contributor, we now have the other 2 maserati cars, diagnostic files!

Attached Files:

becir1 likes this.
  23. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Great project !!

24. ForzaLaVida

ForzaLaVida Karting

Sep 30, 2020
    Deltona Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom Dodd
    Thanks, Just trying to help you guys out.

tgaspl17, becir1, tbakowsky and 3 others like this.