Replace Self Leveling Suspension with something modern - need steps | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Replace Self Leveling Suspension with something modern - need steps

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by MathKernelKing, Jul 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    This thread

Just a quick question, Al: Have you come across a local supplier for the shock sleeves? I've got my back rears out (the Koni replacement ones), and was going to raise the ride height with spacers, but if there's a local supplier of the threaded sleeve/platform, I might go that way.

Thanks

2. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    I couldn't find any 55mm ID coil-overs locally when I got mine & TrueChoice Koni Racing Services were priced a lot better than other size coil-overs I found locally. These are also identical to the parts as fitted to the replacement levellers offered by other suppliers but it is a lot cheaper to buy the parts & assemble yourself. This setup allowed me to adjust the height to factory spec which I find a good height & the drive shafts from the diff to rear axles are in better alignment.

Cheers,
    Al

3. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Ta

4. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    One of my patients is a retired mechanic who has just built a D-type replica under his house, FROM SCRATCH! I mean he fabricated the chassis, hand formed the alloy body, and all the engineering in between. Anyway, amongst the Aladdin's cave of equipment he has tucked away, is a lathe. I mentioned my problem, and when I dropped over to visit, he was well into machining up bespoke spring perches for me at the desired height.
    So it looks like I'll go that way. Hopefully my sums are right and it will be perfect on the first try.

5. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Took the 400i for a run today. The ride height is perfect, and only rubbed a couple of times on extreme bumps with two kids and a full tank, so, happy with that.

The leak from the right bank headers is getting bloody annoying, though. I was going to have them gone over, welded, and possibly coated or wrapped, unless there is an aftermarket replacement at reasonable cost. Thoughts?

6. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Can you see the leak? Removing the header is actually not too difficult but you need good acceess to the damaged area in order to get a good weld on it.

7. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    No, the LHS one I could feel with my hand, but the RHS one is higher up, I think.

8. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Let's stop hijacking #26267 thread ... Al, could you confirm the quantities involved? If I get it right one can save a few bucks and buy a single 60mm Steel sleeve that can be converted into two 30mm sleeves? Is 30mm long enough?

(fixed the broken links)

• 2 x 82-1825SP2 KONI Classic ( $250~$350 each)
    • 1(?) x 55mm ID Steel Sleeve with 60mm x 1.25" OD Threads (~$105 each)
    • 2 x 60mm Steel Spring Seat for 2.5" Springs ($60 each)
    • 2 x Springs 2.5" I.D - 10" Lengths - 150 lbs ($90 each)
    • 2 x 60mm Steel Lock Ring ($45)
    Total $1000~$1200

This seems cheaper than the used leveler I bought a few years ago!

9. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    The threaded tube I used was 202mm long.
    The 60mm x 1.25mm is the thread size on the tube.

This is long enough to cut in half so each shock has a 100mm long tube and the complete units that are being sold have 75mm long tubes on them.
    I set my car up to factory spec height with full fuel tanks but no other load and it needed at least 60mm of thread for that.
    The 100mm long tube means it has lots of adjustment available if you plan on having more load onboard.
    These coil overs make it very easy to set the ride height to the desired level and if set right reduce wear on the half shafts by keeping them level.

These pictures show an installed shock with the 100mm tube set to correct height and one of the commercially available units set to the same height with the 75mm long tube.
    As can be seen in this picture the top spring mount needs to be machined down so the spring can fit over it - an easy job for someone with access to a lathe.

Hope this clears it up a bit.

Cheers,
    Al

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

raemin likes this.
  10. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Marc did some welding on mine,not too sure where.