I didn't think I'd see it this fast, ICE is history... | Page 6 | FerrariChat

I didn't think I'd see it this fast, ICE is history...

Discussion in 'F1' started by johnireland, Sep 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Bravo!

Bas likes this.
  2. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Well said!

Bas likes this.
  3. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I'm sorry to be pedantic but your phrase has no sense whatsoever. It doesn't matter where the CO2 is produced, what matters is the overall concentration dumped or sucked from the atmosphere.

Bas likes this.
  4. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I've taken mine on a couple 1000+ mile journeys and have never even been inconvenienced by it. The car can go longer than my family can without stopping, and refuels faster than we can. Add in that we get to avoid the inconvenience of weekly gas station stops and an ICE would be far more or a pain in the ass then an EV.

5. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Again, I agree with the 1st phrase, disagree completely with the second. The CO2 produced by mass of fuel burned depends on many factors, among them the chemical composition of the fuel itself, the construction of the engine, etc. For fuel efficiency, one should focus on the Kms travelled per unit of fuel.

I know the comparison might be bizarre, but this CO2 obsession the out current world reminds me of fascism / nazism / communism: once upon time, millions of normal people thought it was normal.

Bas likes this.
  6. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Interesting. Do you have a Tesla S? How far can you travel without recharging? What happens if there is no way to recharge at your destination? If there is a recharge station at your destination, how long does it take to recharge?

7. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I think you’re missing a little detail.
    The exponential growth of the human population is at the expense of natural resources, both terrestrial and marine.
    The latter are limited and the imbalance that man imposes on natural environments will inevitably backfire against him.

BMW.SauberF1Team and Dewinator like this.
  8. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Yup, and there’s the problem, more people consuming, and as they get out of poverty the more they consume, and as they live longer the more people on the planet at any one time....consuming...,in simplistic terms in a world of finite resources.

No rocket science here.

Dewinator likes this.
  9. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Makes sense. But when?

10. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Sooner than later, unfortunately.

11. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Tell me, what has been the rate of productive in agriculture? Is it higher than the population growth rate? %-wise, are there more or less people living in hunger? What about energy, are we using it more efficiently or not? Also, what if I tell you that the total population will reach a plateau around ~2060 and then will only decline?

There are a lot of problems due to overpopulation in this world, but they are mostly local.

12. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    People obsess about carbons (and therefor target ICE, etc.) only because it can be easily measured. Add up all the "mostly local" problems caused by human overpopulation, especially in the ocean where they're not very visible, and you get a myriad of problems much greater than some carbon dioxide %. They just can't easily be measured.

Flavio_C likes this.
  13. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Yeah, Model S. Can do about 300 miles at normal highway speeds. There is charging basically everywhere now, at least on the east coast. Even if there isn't there are enough Superchargers that you'll basically always be within a reasonable radius of one.

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The planet will be fine, it is the living creatures on the planet that are in peril.

15. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Over the last 50 years, world agriculture productivity has increased faster than the world population.

There is not a single large scale problem that would not be significantly easier with 10% of the people we currently have on the planet on the planet.

Dewinator likes this.
  16. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    So you can drive up to 300 miles only when there is a charger you destination point, correct? And then you will still need to wait 1 hour and 15 minutes on a supercharger or 10 hours at a normal connector to be able to drive back the same 300 miles. I might be missing something here, but that seems to be a very specific journey to me.

17. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    for those interested i found this recently after watching a non biased [refreshing] documentary the other day about the truths behind global warming and CO2.

Here is a graph which was produced from a huge scientific survey undertaken many years ago in Antarctica. The idea was to core drill deep into the ice pack and extract air bubbles. These pockets of air were then analized for CO2 with its estimated time scale from today to 800,000 years ago.

There is a very distinct regular "heartbeat" pattern developing over this huge period of regular rise and falls in CO2.

The last section covers a 50,000 year period and shows the current climb around 25,000 years ago to its peak today.

Bear in mind that around 150k years ago, another peak event, the Americas were part of Europe before forming the Atlantic Ocean

Will it continue or follow previous peaks and then drop like a stone!

Who knows

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Yes, you are misunderstanding.
    Let say I want to go somewhere say 400 miles away: Car starts fully charged because it was plugged in at my house. Drive for 4 or 5 hours, stop for lunch and charge the car, Car will be ready in half an hour or so, before we are finished eating. Drive another hour or two to the place we are staying and plug the car in while we sleep, then its ready to go in the morning.

Trips shorter, skip the supercharger and just go straight to the destination. Trips longer, just repeat with a dinner stop while the car is charging.

william likes this.
  19. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The current CO2 level is above 400 ppm, witch is (convienently) not on the graph and is "so recent" that a graph of that horizontal scale cannot include that single point 33% above as the last point on the chart.

So, wile the graph conviently shows that CO2 ocsillates between ~200ppm and 300ppm, we are now over 400ppm !! We are outside of the history the graph portends to illustrate.

20. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

This works fine if there are power points in the mountains and remote areas. And that you always want to wait 30mins before getting going again.

Meanwhile, in the big cities where EV's are most useful, EV users will need to start paying road taxes from 2025 in London.

The carrots are being taken away.

I wonder how long the Corporation Tax dodges will continue, which are largely responsible for Taycan sales volumes.

Governments will need to start collecting as much money as possible post-Covid.

A348W likes this.
  21. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It just requires a bit of planning and the assurance that you will find charging points as expected.
    You are talking about Tesla and the West Coast, and that's fine.
    Here in Europe, we still cannot rely on such infrastructure, I'm afraid.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  22. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    It takes just a tiny bit of planning to check and make sure your hotel has charging. Superchargers are getting to be about 30 miles or less apart now on most travel routes on the East coast of the US. That's true on the continent too. No other planning required, just as you're going along when you start to get hungry you look at the big screen and see where the next Supercharger is with good food.

Keep in mind that this tinniest of inconveniences is vastly offset by no longer having to go to the gas station and pump gas every week. Being able to do 90% of your refueling at your own house is fantastic and a huge time saver.

23. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I guess it's different in the US than in Europe.
    Here in UK, most people have their car parked in the streets, and there are not enough charging points available.
    Finding charging points is a problem; some are full, others don't charge correctly, I'm told.
    One of my friends in London gave up his electric car for that reason.
    Gas stations are plenty here.

SimCity3 likes this.
  24. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    you miss the point, the chart reflects the samples taken from Ice cores in the Antarctica and Greenland in the glacial - interglacial event, not global increases.

These ice cores contain information about past temperatures, CO2, methane and many other aspects of the atmosphere. These samples prove that the concentration of CO2 fluctuate over a huge period and although human emissions are adding to the rise, it doesnt wholly prove it will be a upward event. Whats not answered is what caused the peaks as the core samples have proven abrupt changes are possible.
    Best
    tony

25. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    In most of the US, it's NOT different. In the midwest, you must travel Interstate highways to have any regular charging points.
    Garages are plenty. I don't travel to 'hotels'. I visit people's homes. A 300 mile range with a .5 hour recharge before I drive the last 10 miles, ex., is unsatisfactory. When home chargers are common, do I ask my host to park his car in the snow, so I can recharge. Who pays? These problems will be worked out, but today it isn't a 'tiny' problem.

Flavio_C and william like this.