How can I justify a Ferrari to my wife. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How can I justify a Ferrari to my wife.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Simon99, Jan 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    If the Ferrari causes an instant divorce, it wasn't much of a marriage, perhaps ?? After all, a car is only an inanimate object.

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thought experiment. @carl888 said @Simon99 is financially healthy.

Assuming you're doing all the right things (read: you can retire with a lifestyle you want) - ask yourself this honest question.

Does the money that 75K compounded over the number of years until retirement yield any other happiness when you *do* retire?

During retirement, I know that I will most likely actually 'downsize' - I don't want a bigger house than what I already have. It would just make me lonely. I don't wish to eat only Michlin 3 star food; I'll be required to eat 'healthy.' I definitely have enough to travel. So what more do I want when I'm 65 then I do now? Is it you want a fleet of Ferrari instead (and saving up for that?)

Does this make sense?

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Can you explain this further? I don’t understand what “lowering the bar” means, or how “Lowering Expectations” keeps you honest. And I don’t whose expectations she’s talking about. It’s very convoluted to me.

You might benefit by learning about Transactional Analysis.

Matt

paulchua likes this.
  4. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    A Ferrari wouldn't cause a divorce. It's lying about a Ferrari or making a major purchase without spousal input that would.

EnzoItaly, paulchua and tomc like this.
  5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Ya know, on further thought -- she's gone for 9 months. Buy it now, enjoy spring and summer (or summer and fall?), and then sell it before she returns.

Easy.

paulchua, A348W and willrace like this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I assumed that it meant she has the philosophy on life that one should have low expectations. Interested to hear more and see, perhaps my assumption is wrong.

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I thought this was strange, I assume this is short term right?

8. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    T&A... yessir! I learned about T&A a great number of years ago - I've had a BLAST - especially in my youth.... T&A drove a lot of bad decisions though, despite all the fun I was having learning all about the endless variations out there on the topic. Yessir - T&A is where it was at for me!!

Maybe they do it differently now?

Jedi

kes7u, tomc and Hocakes like this.
  9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Approach everything as "we" and not a tit-for-tat type deal. Road trips as a couple in an Fcar or just to nice restaurants or to socialize with similar individuals at dealer and race events, etc. Also tell her you think nothing is better than a hot car being driven by a hot woman...unless you don't want her to drive it I suppose. Then it's hard to convince the "we" mentality.

10. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #60 LightGuy, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Life is too short not to have a Ferrari.
    That said the "pilot" thing has me worried.
    Pilots in my experience are either clever thoughtful risk takers or just paid drunken sailors in port.
    I was in commercial aviation for awhile and that's my impression take it or leave it. I know several brilliant investor pilots. I knew of some living in the back of their car in the airport parking lot.
    That said if she is a shrewd penny pincher ( as I am) a properly bought vintage Ferrari is actually an investment.
    I bought my carbed Boxer for 105K not that long ago.
    Not exactly Amazon stock returns but better than money market.

Why wouldn't she want you to be happy ? Kind of cruel.

My last advice is if you are thee breadwinner then you should DEMAND some bread. Ball up.

11. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    lots of good thoughtful and considerate advice in this thread......

that said, if you can already afford it, this means you are providing a good life for her and the family, and she should cut you some slack.
    if she cannot see that then perhaps she is jealous of the car.....or what it represents to you.

life is short.
    nobody ever laid on their death bed and regretted buying and driving a ferrari that they could afford.

12. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    My approach has been increasing my income and net assets
    If the car costs 1-2% of net assets, my wife really doesn’t care as it has no meaningful impact on us financially

paulchua likes this.
  13. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've always lived by the simple rule, "better to beg forgiveness than ask permission." After 37 years of marriage and numerous "surprise" car purchases my wife is used to my car addiction. By now she knows that I know what I'm doing (well, mostly) so when I get that look in my eye of unbridled automotive lust she just smiles and shakes her head. She's even said it herself: a Ferrari is probably cheaper than a mistress. Or a divorce.

paulchua likes this.
  14. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    I wouldn't try to "justify" it, but sounds like she may be overestimating the true cost of ownership.

From what you say she seems very analytical. Likely breaking it down with realistic estimates on maintenance, depreciation, insurance, would help you out.

15. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    All these divorce comments are overrated. If you live in such fear of your own wife after all these years.....you should be doing something else !

16. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    My wife wanted a dog...I wanted a Ferrari. Simple!!!

She also knows that I like my toys and that it will be futile to stop me; as said above she reckons it’s cheaper than a mistress!!!

Whilst initially being sceptical, she does like the events and opportunities that having one has provided; not to mention the fabulous people we get to meet.

17. Atlantic

Atlantic Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2015
    Porto, Portugal/New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    You want it, just buy it. Tell her that it's a surprise gift to yourself. You deserve it!

18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I'll say this...

Don't lie... Get her to understand your position.

Investment is good and it really is one. The more important thing is to tell her how it's been a life goal etc... And you love it and it would make.you happy to experience it and you could die tomorrow sort of a thing and that this kind of stuff makes all of the other saving worth it. It's an investment in your happiness.

Tell her you really want it and it's important.

Show her the plan on what it's worth and how it's worth pretty much what you paid forever.

Then tell her if we come into an issue it's the first thing to go.

Often times making people know that there is a well thought out exit plan... Helps with buying it. You would be shocked. Sometimes people just can't wrap their head around it... And if you have a solid plan and they love u... It's hard to say no. Just remember it's a two way street... And this same thing might be said to you at a later date.

The bottom line is if she isn't happy with it and you lie or don't help her see the importance your never going to enjoy the car. It will always be a sore subject and a pain. Include her as much as you can. The whole experience even if only 6 months should be fun and a great memory

I hope you get the car you want!

EnzoItaly and paulchua like this.
  19. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Wrong question. Should be:
    How can I justify a wife to my Ferrari.

20. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    There it is, the real car guy amongst us !!

AtomicPunk88, kes7u and technom3 like this.
  21. ferrariwithsnowtires

Dec 17, 2005
    I completely disagree with positioning it as an investment (I know the OP is not talking about a 275 GTB with 4000 miles on it)

I completely agree with taking the tack of life goal/something you have wanted for a very long time/would use and enjoy/potentially something we could use together (this one is very subjective as my wife isn't really into the NSX as it is too low to the ground for her, but really enjoys the open air driving experience of the LC 500 convertible)

alex and paulchua like this.
  22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yikes. I will never afford a Ferrari if I keep it to 1-2% of net assets...maybe when I hit 80 years of age. For a Stradale I'd need $20m+?! I'm screwed...

x599 likes this.
  23. ferrariwithsnowtires

Dec 17, 2005
    It'sot about being screwed. My point is more about having enough so that the silly car purchase doesn't impact real life/calm within the household. Everyone will have a different justification/decision making frameworks.

All I can tell you is that from my experience, wanting to buy a new Honda Accord in 1990 when I was making 35K with 2 small kids, and buying an NSX in 2016 when I made 2X the cost of the car from my day job and owned 4 apartment buildings and plenty of other financial assets are much different conversations. Having added 4 more rental properties and boosted retirement investment returns since then made the LC 500 convertible purchase in 2020 a non event.

ryalex likes this.
  24. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Well my question about the positioning of calling it an investment is from a different perspective.

It's more of a way to frame the argument as opposed to buying the best investment money can buy

For example... My wife is frugal and she doesn't have a great wealth of knowledge when it comes to I beating other than the basics. Buy low sell high. Don't lose money.

What I realized about buying more expensive items and her resistance to them was she looked at it as spending 50k and it's gone or 10k and it's gone.

She would say you would never spend 10k on a vacation... Which is mostly true. I hate vacation.

But what I explained is spending 4k I'm vacation is more expensive than spending 10k on a rolex or what have you. 4k is gone on the vacation. Completely gone. The 10k on the watch. Well it's still with 10k. Or maybe 8. I still spent less

Sometimes wives especially frugal ones just look at the expense which is why I was saying emphasize the plan on how to get rid of it

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  25. TexasVince

TexasVince Rookie

Jun 9, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I agree, this method worked for me and is the exact way we bought our first Ferrari. I had to show her the valuation histories first, and that the depreciation of sub 2010 cars was very low and in the sub 2000 range values were holding / raising for better cars. The next question was regarding maintenance, which moves the conversation to models (for us anyway) at first to F430's which did not require engine out like 360s and are cheaper to maintain. You will lose money on taxes and maintenance expenses, so its never a real investment, but you get a great car to use and drive that won't depreciate that much. If you can swing a private sale you will avoid dealer fees, so check Fchat classifieds. Also, she and I made a lot of friends at our local FCA and she is already on board to trade up for newer models.