Which to keep? 458 Spider or F8 Spider | FerrariChat

Which to keep? 458 Spider or F8 Spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 575joe, Jan 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 575joe

575joe Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    I recently received my new F8 Spider, which I had ordered with the thought of it possibly replacing one of my all time favorite Ferrari - the 458 Spider.
    Here are my thoughts and comparisons.

The F8 fast!!
    While I always found the 458 to be pretty quick, (even after driving my 812), the F8 is much, much stronger, and pulls very hard, at all RPMs.

(But I am already used to its 720 hp, so another 50 hp would not be unwelcome ). Seriously, many of the magazines have been writing that these cars are just too fast to exploit on public roads - I do not agree. One can get a very good buzz by quickly accelerating in the 1st 3 gears, then backing off and enjoying the cruise. Repeat at the next light. Or doing a nice roll-on, on highway ramps in 4th gear. (To their credit, notwithstanding the dramatically higher mid range torque on these turbo cars, Ferrari did not change the gearing to higher ratios. They seem to be the same very low ratios they used in the 458) - and that is a good thing!).

I took delivery on Dec 31 in the north-east, not ideal Ferrari weather, but I was determined to get a solid first drive in it, and managed to put a couple of hundred miles on the car the first day. The roads were dry and quite free of salt.

The sound (with turbo and GPF) is definitely not in the same leagues as the 458, BUT I can live with it. It is certainly less spine-tingling, but also less socially disturbing, so I think it will suit me adequately. (I can tell I am getting older!).

The steering is significantly stiffer, and fairly dull, so not nearly as lively/responsive as the 458, but on the other hand, this car feels far more planted and predictable and the front tires really bite in the corners, so definitely a more capable, more stable car. I would have preferred a half way point between the two steering calibrations.

Impressive mid-range torque/pull, and with the clever thing that Ferrari did of not releasing full torque until higher RPM, it surprised me how it went from pretty strong at 3000 rpm to "holy crap" wild at around 6000 rpm, just like the normally aspirated cars do. Nice job. Of course, very little turbo lag at anything over 3000 rpm.

I love the look of the F8. Really nice details, and shapes, and of course has a multitude of the aerodynamic ducts/vents. Really nice. Looks more complex than the relatively clean-looking 458. I can't stop admiring it.

The interior is very similar and familiar to my other cars, so really easy to get comfortable driving it. In fact, even after my first drive, I already felt no new-car apprehension. I was driving it with the same confidence that one has with a familiar car. (The excellent Ferrari traction control system is very helpful in keeping everything safe, while still exciting to drive).

I like the really color combination I chose. The exterior blue (Blue Nart) is very nice - but not too bright. I think it will look even better in sunlight. (Was pretty cloudy when I took the attached photos). I went with the same Sabbia interior as my 458, with lots of contrasting stitching.
    It feels like I have a bit less seat travel on this compared to the 458. Can't recline it as much as I'd like. Getting in and out seems a bit tighter.

Bottom line - the 458 sounds way better, and feels more lively, BUT the significant extra power, stability, and civility of the F8 more than make up for it. The F8 feels like a much evolved, more modern car,

Much to my surprise, It will was easier for me to decide which to keep between this car and my beloved 458, than it was to chose between the 812 SF and the 812 GTS.
    I have decided to keep the F8, and sell the 458.
    ( I also decided to keep the GTS and sell the 812 SF, BUT that was a much tougher decision. (The 812 SF was my all-time favorite Ferrari - with the 458 just behind it).

The first 2 photos are my 458 (Blue Oceano), and the last 4 the F8.
    The close-up of the rear vent is the best rendition of what the color really looks like.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Senna1994, Caeruleus11, evo3 and 14 others like this.
  2. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
  3. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I feel like I could have written your thread myself. My observations exactly, and I’ll be in your shoes once the F8 Spider shows up.

I’ve held the 458 a bit over two years and enjoyed it immensely. To me the F8 represents refinement - an evolved car, but still reminiscent of the 458.

I haven’t decided what I’ll do, but don’t think I’ll be in any hurry to part with the little drama queen.

4. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Beautiful cars!
    What is the 458 color?

Spider68 likes this.
  5. 575joe

575joe Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    Blue Oceano, a custom Maserati color.

6. Chasing Ferrari

Dec 18, 2016
    Hows the light color interior keeping up with your 458?

Beautiful F8

7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Thanks for posting.

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Nice write up. Blue oceano looks like tdf to me.
    I’d keep the 458 spider, but that’s just me!
    Good problems to have;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Nice cars - you clearly know what you are doing when it comes to colour choices and spec ;)

10. 575joe

575joe Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    The Sabbia interior looks just like the day I got it.
    Has weathered very well.

11. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    I had grigio nuvolari on a Maserati, also a rare custom color.
    Of course, it was painted at Ferrari back then.
    Your 458 looks so distinctive and the depth of that color is really something.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great write up

13. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Awesome post, pictures and of course, cars. I'm a big NA fan and the experience they provide, so my initial reaction to your post was... Oh no! You sold the wrong one!

But then I thought it over. You've certainly enjoyed the 458 and so it's time to move on and appreciate progress.

Bottom line for me: You're in this amazingly fortunate position to choose, and you always win no matter what decision you make, because any of those cars are a dream come true. Love the blue oceano!

14. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    My decision as well, had a 458 spider that I loved but the F8 is so much better in EVERY way other than sound that it is a really easy decision.

pninja005 likes this.
  15. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Both really nice cars! Well done

16. 575joe

575joe Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    I certainly understand the concern over trading an amazing sounding NA for a turbo.
    Also Having the NA 812 and therefore being able to enjoy that V 12 sound made the decision a bit easier.

17. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    you really should keep the 458. Very likely you will regret like most people did go back and repurchase. I strongly believe the moment you let go, it will be purchased immediately for its immaculate specs and all. 458 should be relatively easy to own if you are already letting go the 812SF.

Sell the 458 after your honeymoon period is over with F8. Tons of F8 to buy, but not any decent 458 like yours.

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  18. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Great thoughts and write up. CONGRATULATIONS

19. Adam Greenberg

Adam Greenberg Formula Junior
    Miami 2018

May 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Adam Greenberg
    I love the blues,...

20. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thanks for the write up, your cars are beautiful!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

21. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Blue is sports and elegance combined for the mid-engined cars in my view. Great spec. I’m surprised how well resolved the styling of the F8 looks when compared directly with the 458.

FYI: Proud TDF Speciale owner with white stripes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app