Best place for Ferrari ownership - rate your location! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best place for Ferrari ownership - rate your location!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JonnySK, Dec 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    This one is hard in that all places have something to offer. Northern Italy, Scotland, Germany, parts of the Middle East and Northern Africa, South Africa, western Canada etc. so many places and so little time. Switzerland’s speeding fines make it untenable. In the US we have US 1, Blue Ridge Mountains are up there with the best. i agree Long Island is difficult- lots of law enforcement and long flat straight roads abound but avoid the east west tarmac and delve into the north south roads in middle Suffolk county and you may be surprised. The Catskills and Adirondacks in autumn can’t be beat. The road surfaces suck as the governor prefers to spend the money on signs telling you about where you are and can do (Pre COVID)as opposed to where you are going. Connecticut back roads can be very twisty and are in much better shape than New York’s. I guess in the end however there is no place like home wherever it may be.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Buffalo, NY

Costs to buy are avg / standard as anywhere in the US, but I think overall maintenance costs are lower here.

There isn’t much traffic here, and there are plenty of places to let it rip safely and without getting a ticket. There are some decent winding roads and elevation, as well as good waterside driving. HOWEVER, 3 months per year are undriveable for most fcar owners since there’s salt on the roads. And 3 more months are hit or miss if you’re a sunny day only driver (I, however, am not). I added weather as a separate category for this reason.

There are some cool destination drives, but not enough in my opinion.

The law in NY is fairly restrictive with inspections and ticketing; it’s good to have many lawyer connections and a friend that owns a shop.

Public reaction cuts both ways. For me, my car gets just the right amount of positive attention. Hardly any intrusive questions. Not load of attention, but some nice nods, thumbs ups, enthusiasts at gas stations, and smiles. Most people just don’t react at all frankly.

Costs - 7/10
    Driving Roads - 7/10
    Weather - 5/10
    Places to Go - 5/10
    The Law - 4/10
    Public Reaction - 7/10

35 / 60 = 58%

From my vantage point, Buffalo is a good place to own fun cars. Not ideal for sure, but solid overall.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Living in southern NY- Long IslandI would call it:

Costs:5/10
    Driving roads 6/10
    Weather 7/10
    Places to go9/10
    Law 4/10
    Public reaction 8/10(most areas)
    6/10(NYC)
    So 7/10 avg

38/60= 63%(mostly due to better weather)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    tomc and 05011994 like this.
  5. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Hands down SoCal for USA

tomc likes this.
  6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    No if, ands, or buts, about it..........

Germany!

Anyone who has ever driven on the Autobahn knows it is hands down the greatest highway system on the planet period. I have driven 130mph/210kmh on cruise control for a couple of hours, and the road was golf course putting green smooth. Further more, where else on the planet are the highways unrestricted where you can go as fast as the car is capable? Get up early on a Sunday morning, head to the unrestricted area of the Autobahn and have at it full tilt as fast as you can go. You want twisties and an exciting drive? I present to you the Nurburgring Nordschleife. Bar none THE greatest race track on the planet, that anyone can show up and drive on for €25 - €35. So many beautiful places to visit in Germany, and you are only a few hours away from neighboring countries. You want a scenic drive, head to the alps, or the black forest.

I lived in So Cali for over 4 decades. I have driven literally thousands of times up and down the pacific coast highway along Santa Monica and Malibu. Multiple times through the canyons of Malibu, and the Santa Monica mountains. Driven countless times through the back roads of Santa Barbara, and Ventura counties.

All that, and Germany's Autobahn still rules.

tomc likes this.
  7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Any State or Province in the snow belt if you own a FF or Lusso!

tomc likes this.