Best "sporty" touring motorcycle? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best "sporty" touring motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Texas Forever, Dec 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hard to lobby against the Yamaha FZR1300,my Austin friend has one...

Dale V1 Moto just had a pristine red Ducati ST3, with 6000 miles.
    I would say that is "as new" for the model, except I have a black one in MY garage showing only 1100 miles.
    It's a sport touring bike, that's what ST means!!

Way lower entry than a Multistrada although all the V2 bikes are going begging now that the V4 enters the line up completely.
    I would sell my ST3sABS (adjustable suspension and as indicated ABS), when the tank is returned with a new fuel system in it!!!

Mighty Joe likes this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I like Ducatis, I really do but I have ridden all over the US and much of Canada and you know what I have never seen being ridden on a tour? A Ducati.

Never been on an ST but aside from the previous version of the Multi every other Duc I have ridden felt like it was designed for a jocky and Dale aint built like a jocky.

Pretty good rule of thumb for anything when you are new at it. Use the same equipment all the other guys do. It is typically for a good reason.

I have no intention of stopping going 4-5-600 or more miles a day just for the fun of seeing this great country and I have yet to ride a better MC for that than a Harley.

mikesufka and Texas Forever like this.
  3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They don't make the ST3/ST4 (last year 2007??) because they were not huge sellers, but the market will show some with 40K to 50K miles on them.

The ergonomics are certainly revised from my 996. or modern 848.
    No problem with Harleys, but the Ducs are somehow "better" and the ladies respond to that....

My buddies band plays the Harley parties and they always let my Ducati park "in there"...LOL!

I always scan for a low miles ST4, but my mechanic sang the praises of the simpler, easily serviced 3 valve version.

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Updating the DPS description of my wreck:

"That's not bravery officer, that's a 6' 3" tall guy unwinding to throw the bike away!!

It took three bounces, off of FM812.......in a shatter of broken glass, and plastic bits!!
    Later, I noticed the bars had gone thru my left thigh.....

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I really wanted an ST3 or ST4 at one point, but it was just after they ended the run, and then I rode the Triumph Sprint ST, and I was in love. I like Ducatis in theory (and did own a Monster for a number of years and loved it), but for me I like the Triumphs more. I love my Sprint, and never plan to let it go.

I love the Tiger as well, and since I don't like to ride the Sprint on gravel, it's a perfect combination for me. Although if I could keep only one, it would probably be the Tiger, since it's good both on paved roads and gravel. But I would hope never to have to make that choice, and given their relative values, it's unlikely.

I've thought about adding a nice, light, standard bike-- maybe another Monster, more likely a Triumph Street Triple. There is something fun about riding a really light, little bike that these bigger bikes can't match.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    800 or 1200 Tiger?

7. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I just saw in a previous post that you have an 800 Tiger.
    I really like the middleweights right now for solo riding.
    There's a big ease of riding difference between a 500lb bike vs an 800lb bike. Especially if you're getting back into motorcycles.

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Few riders understand counter steering, i.e., to go left, you push on the left handle bar. Fewer still understand how rake and trail, tire size, and weight impact counter steering. I used to practice abrupt changes when going about 70 or so on a deserted highway. It would feel like the bike jumped a foot sideways. To counter steer a sport bike, all you have to do is think about it. To counter steer a big Harley, you gotta really work at it.

Like everything in life, practice helps. I have seen way too many riders freeze up.

9. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You are dead bang on and funny you should mention counter steering. I doubt 80% of street riders understand counter steering. Most would look at you like you're out of you mind when you explain it.

I rented a streetglide last year. I really thought it was confidence inspiring and dangerous for the unexperienced at the same time. Most guys at Eagleriders when I rented in Atlanta were new to motorcycles and headed to the curvy roads in Western NC. The street glide felt great in the parking lot and around town. Changing your line on a turn on a curvy road and you feel every one of the many pounds.

The weight thing isn't just correcting lines, it's moving it, loading it, being positive your feet are on a clean spot at stop signs and so on. You know all this. 500lbs is just easier and even that is a lot on a crappy road IMO.

Muscle memory is everything too. Everything has to be automatic. If it's not, IMO, it's not safe to ride. The cops I know are fantastic riders but they ride all the time in all conditions and then do those parking lot rodeo competitions in their spare time. The could ride a Harley down a balance beam.

I did a quick 100 mile ride yesterday from Asheville towards TN to enjoy and nice day and stay current. It was wonderful.

10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm with you! I find big bikes scary. My brother has a Triumph Rocket, and I would never ride that. I have ridden his V-Rod, and that's a nice bike, but I don't like the riding position. I like having my feet under me, rather than in front of me.

Tiger 800 is plenty big for me. My Sprint is 1050, more power, but not really any bigger or heavier than the Tiger, just distributed a little differently.

11. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    That's why I'm so crazy for the HP2 - ultra light @ 175 kg dry and 105 HP

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #37 Rifledriver, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Riding an 800lb motorcycle is a matter of familiarazation. Like you said, cops are on them all day and get quite good at it. My riding partners are retired San Francisco cops. In SFPD they ride rain or shine (most departments park them in bad weather) and so do we. We have done about 10,000 miles together. One of the reasons I like Harleys is my fun day out recently involved Austin to Corpus Christi to Port Aransas to Victoria back to Austin for dinner all on the back roads. Well over 500 miles. Just not interested in doing that on a 300 lb motorcycle.

If you are going to just shrug off going on a 500 mile day trip Harleys are very well evolved for doing that. I am making plans for the solstice ride from the Sabine River to Anthony Texas this year 875 miles. Looking forward to it

LightGuy and Texas Forever like this.
  13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You're gonna do it, huh? You are a trooper. I've known people who have ridden old brit singles, but that's crazy.

For those who don't know. Every Summer Solstice, a group of riders start at daybreak on the Texas/Louisiana line and ride all the way to New Mexico. On the longest and thus hottest day of the year. As far as I know, there is no organization, no trophies, just crazy bikers.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Already making plans. Supposed to do Rt 66 too so have to work around it. Was considering doing the full grand. U turn at the state line and go back to Ft Stocton but probably better doing that further North with more daylight. I did ride West Texas in the dark one time and it was one of the dumber things I have done. More deer out there than squirrels. Didn't know that until I did it in daylight. 10 is absolutely littered with deer carcasses every AM. That part of 10 is like riding in a closet with the door closed. The only thing you can see is in your headlight beam. Nice thing about Canada and Alaska. At the right time of year it never gets dark.

If anyone makes the trip on a vintage Brit single I'll have to buy him a drink or a few wherever we stop.

BoulderFCar likes this.
  15. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I've had bikes most of my life from dirt bikes to Harleys to Bimotas.

My last best bike is the new Honda Goldwing without the trunk.
    Try one.
    You wont look at anything else.

16. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    For me its the FJR1300 hands down!

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I knew a bunch of guys with Goldwings. Several were motorcycle cops. Every single one has changed brands. Lots of bad stories. Mostly related to service and repairs. Those were in prior years. No nothing of current offering. They do look pretty good without all the junk on the back.

18. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That's a great balanced bike. So many good bikes. I think the best discussion is where to ride and how much can you ride.

19. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #44 LightGuy, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    I had one of the first FJ1100's in Milwaukee back in the day.
    A "Harley guy" bought it and all his friends gave him crap so he sold it within a month or two.
    When I picked it up a bunch of his friends were there to see what kind of a sucker would buy such a bike. They laughed as I drove it away. Hey...it was Milwaukee.
    I got it for a song.
    That was one year after Honda came out with its worldshaking 750 Interceptor.
    Sport bikes were still a novelty and the FJ was King of the Hill.
    That bike got more smiles per gallon than anything I have ever owned on wheels.
    I felt like a celebrity riding it. It turned heads everywhere.
    Except of course for the Harley guys.
    ;)

20. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    There was "minor exploring on dirt roads" && light weight by the OP...hence many bikes stated here are not fit for the purpose !!

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You the man. You could go on to Las Cruces. I'd rather stay there than Hell Paso.

One neat drive I did once was follow the Rio Grande from El Paso to a spring at a mountain pass in Colorado.

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Maybe I need to buy two, or three or...

23. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    G. Pepper likes this.
  24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What was the deal with these bikes? Why did BMW stop making them?

25. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Because nobody was willing to pay 25K for a dirt bike !!

G. Pepper and Texas Forever like this.