How can I justify a Ferrari to my wife. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How can I justify a Ferrari to my wife.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Simon99, Jan 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Lying never works. Tell it like it is.

2. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Your right, but you can live in a Ferrari, but you can't drive the couch.

3. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    going to be contrarian here
    Without knowing OP's specifics (savings, income, other expenses), I am not sure that buying a Ferrari is the right move. While it would be exhilarating to have use a Italian red screamer on a twisty road, buying a toy without considerations for other aspects of life isn't responsible.
    In regard to OP, is he
    saving enough for retirement, kids, etc?
    making good income with expectations of future increases?

As long as his finances tick off all the right boxes, go for it. Otherwise, his wife might be the wise one.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Simon, welcome!

One thing to note is these cars don’t depreciate as much as a new luxury car. With my two Ferrari, if I were sell today, I would be out about 10k only over 6 years. That includes maintenance. That’s cheaper then my brand new Toyota.

Dane and ChadR like this.
  5. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    I think he should buy the Ferrari.
    How long can you keep the lie going? That's the question.

Quick thrills and fun are the only things left to enjoy these days.

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This is a good point. Something I admit that I’m shameful I didn’t ask the OP.

It all comes down to ratios, if you are saving enough for retirement and kids college costs, get the Ferrari. If you’re struggling, wait until you’re in better shape.

I assume maybe your somewhere in the middle?

Mike-456M, EnzoItaly, SCEye and 2 others like this.
  7. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I'll chime in here, since that's my car that Simon walks past, every day.

The best way to enjoy a Ferrari is if the purchase/storage/maintenance makes NO difference to your future financial plan including responsibilities towards your children's education, your wife and a slush fund for any future issues such as reduced or underemployment, medical concerns and the plain old rainy day.

To clarify Simon's position and a possible purchase, the above is very much the case.

I don't see the point in trying to rationalise a purchase that defies rationality. We all know it doesn't make any sense.

There's very, very few people I know that have owned a Ferrari, then looked back on the purchase years later, and regretted it.

As to the wife, she'll come around, consider it a work in progress :)

x599, iMrMark, Mike-456M and 5 others like this.
  8. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I am not sure if this is the correct format to ask this question. Would seem to me, present company included, the readers and contributors to this forum are all Ferrari junkies and the answer is the same as you would get asking the question who wants ice cream at a kids camp on a hot summer day.

iMrMark, sisiay, ryalex and 4 others like this.
  9. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #34 alex, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    My wife told me, "Buy the car, leave the women alone.":) Seriously, a sports car is a want, not a need. People have different desires in life. Do you have enough discretionary income to not only purchase a car, but maintain it? Are you truly honest in your calculations? Will you be able to include her in car related activities so that she doesn't feel left out? Maybe you can compromise and incorporate something she'd like in the negotiation, such as a special vacation. It's never a good tactic to lie. Approach the matter calmly, and see if she'll come around.

ChadR and colombo2cam like this.
  10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    find a red 328 and tell your friend to get the 308 insert the 328 and maybe she won't notice ....I have done that many times of course my wife doesn't care...

ChadR likes this.
  11. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    And never, ever, consider a car to be an investment. If a tsunami comes along and takes the car out to sea, you should be able to swallow hard, blink back tears, and go on. If you cannot do that, you're not approaching ownership in the right way.

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    How? If you can buy it without changing your lifestyle at all. Including being able to purchase it outright or paying the note, the maintenance, the possible loss of value when selling it. If you can do that and not sweat it, then you can buy it without your wife feeling guilty.

Also, she should know a well bought 328 will be worth the same $$ in 5/10 years if not more (unless your country bans ICE vehicles or you crash it).

ryalex likes this.
  13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Exactly this.

I'm assuming that your financials are sorted, you have enough money for life's necessities, kid's college and if this thing burns up tomorrow, the lost capital will not impact your ability to put food on the table, or a roof over your heads. I'm also assuming this is a long desired goal and not some current whim. If so, I would go the above route. Trying to attack this like a math problem isn't going to work IMO.

My wife and I were both poor growing up and savers not spenders. But, after going to one friend's funeral, we decided it's time to stop dreaming, stop worrying about what might happen tomorrow. The house is paid off, retirement well funded, and other than the Ferrari, we live way below our means.

I involved my wife in the entire process. I let her pick the F-car type and color combination. I even let her nickname it Dave! She's driven it a few times and she enjoyed it. Now, she's totally on board because she knows the Ferrari makes me happy. And, that makes her happy.

T

KMP_308 and alex like this.
  14. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Wise words, Tom! My wife and I were both involved in the buying process. I waited until I knew that we could afford maintenance on the car. People consider the purchase price but often they do not factor in insurance, storage and routine maintenance, as well as having a slush fund for the unexpected repair. Hope you are okay. Some pretty frightening COVID news coming from Texas!

tomc likes this.
  15. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    What I'm hearing is 2 things:

1. "We can easily afford this"
    2. "She's out of the country for 9 months"

So, clearly this is a "beg forgiveness instead of permission" scenario. 9 months of time is long enough to get over the mad.

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    OP, your wife is frugal and she loves you.

if you buy something that doesn’t cost you much over 3 years til you sell it and recoup, and gives you a huge amount of pleasure, she cannot have an objection. You’re doing something you love, at little financial cost, which may even give her pleasure, and should certainly make her happy that you’re happy.

should be a no brainer with the right Ferrari.

my 550 cost me zero net over four years

my 430 spider, if I were to sell now, would either break even, all in, or cost me the price of a year’s gym membership over five years.

the problem is that non car people, if they hear you’re buying a Ferrari, think, “super expensive car” and they “know” that cars depreciate. But buying a 328 or a 488 are two very different purchasing decisions. Some Ferraris are pretty much the most sensible cars you can bu, financially.

17. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Food for thought...if you don't consider her feelings in making the decision, she may choose a new "model" of her own (and I'm not talking about cars!);)

tomc likes this.
  18. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Pretend that your goal is a 430/458, build it up, make sure she knows the costs, then let her talk you down to a 308/328. Then it will seem like you gave in to her frugality. ;)

IloveGT, BT, ross and 2 others like this.
  19. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Start gathering price data for 328's so you can show her it is an investment, show here 10 years ago a 1986 328 was worth $35k, today about double that if not more but do this played out in a way so it looks like a good investment and your not lying, it can be a very good investment. I see 1986 328's at over $100k in 3-5 years up from about $75k now.

Just curious, how did your friend with the 308GTB in your basement do on his purchase? Has he owned it long enough to see it appreciate in value? If so use him for an investment example and explain how much you'd rather invest in a car that goes up in value vs an airplane (I'm also a pilot, had a PA-46 now in the market for a CJ3).

20. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I had a buddy replace his yellow 348 spyder with a yellow 355 spyder thinking his wife would not find out, she had no clue for 3 years until she overheard him bragging about it at a party, he had to buy her a $200k horse for lying about it.

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I don't think fellow Yanks quite fathom the comparisons between Oz & US when it comes to Ferrari Dollars & Status, be it real or perceived.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

22. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    My 458 cost me a several hundred thousand dollar remodel of our house, it was worth every penny. It was Something she really wanted, so tell her this is something we can afford and I have always dreamed of owning a Ferrari. Then ask her “what have you always dreamed about owning”?

EnzoItaly and tomc like this.
  23. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How about I go out and buy it and put it in the garage. Then when she comes downstairs to get in her car she sees it lol. She tells me to enjoy it and she gets in her car and leaves. I’ve done this with 3 Ferraris, 3 Porsches and 6 Corvettes. Actually when I went from a red/tan 360 Spider to a red/tan 430 Spider it took her 6 months before she realized I got a new one. We aren’t talking about a dimwit either as she’s a Dr. she just trusts me enough to know that I’ll never do anything that would be totally stupid or financially draining.

Mike-456M, willrace and m5shiv like this.
  24. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Man, I am right there with you. I'm trying to cultivate enthusiasm for the idea by slowly introducing pictures and videos of 20 year old Spiders and asking her to imagine herself driving it. She's liked the idea of owning a convertible for a while now, but doesn't really get the difference between a Miata and F355. This may be a long process.

I totally understand those who argue that life is too short to put off your dreams. What I don't get are those who advise to get a Ferrari without spousal approval. You think a Ferrari is expensive? Nothing is more expensive than a divorce.

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks for chiming in @carl888
    If I understand correctly, it sounds like Simon is in pretty good financial shape. If so, I concur with most here. Life is short, and as long as the purchase doesn't cause financial risk, go for it.

@Simon99: I would be honest with your wife and say the car would be a source of happiness. If your wife disagrees, well, it's more of a larger issue, specifically - the opportunity costs. Does your wife prefer the funds, go into a more conservative investment that may yield more future gains? If so, is this for your retirement or your children's trust fund (or both?)

Does 60-75K invested now give you that much more happiness to your kids when you retire? Or your kids in 50 years? I personally don't know. I don't know what will happen tomorrow let alone years.

I do know every day I see my Ferrari in the garage, a big smile shows up on my face. Which is bequeathed to my wife and kids anyway when it's time for me to check out.

EnzoItaly likes this.