DIY: Tail Light Upgrade to LED's. | FerrariChat

DIY: Tail Light Upgrade to LED's.

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Mar 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    #1 whatheheck, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here you go for sharing:

I love LED's as they consume much much less power, they last a long time, I like the instant on and off character of the bulb, they dont get hot and I love the color it emits.

I have played around with turn signals LED's from eBay and some of them are either not bright enough, not very well made, they burn out too quickly, they dont last a long time, the beam spread is not wide enough and if the power consumption is too low it will cause the blinkers to hyperflash.

I found my time more valuable to do more trial and errors so I searched and found on another board a brand new complete LED tail light from a guy named Stef of Scuding dot com.

The only thing is - the kit is expensive so I was hesitant in ordering it. After reading reviews and saving enough of my hard earned money I decided to go for it as for me - my 360 is well worth it and she deserves the best.

So here is my review, plus a short video:

The kit is extremely well designed and very well made. All materials used are top notch. It is perfect fit, completely plug and play, the light assembly is better design than stock, no wire cutting required, he uses his own designed LED's for maximum light dispersion and projection, and customer service is top notch.

Kit also comes with a new relay that is louder than stock so you can hear the turn signals better and not leave them on without knowing it. This new relay also prevents light hyperflashing from using low consumption LEDs'.

Complete installation time is around 2 hours each side taking my time always ensuring I always do a great job on everything that I do.

Summary: I am 100% satisfied, my Betsy 5 is very happy and I consider this money well spent.

Note: I have no affiliation to the seller. I am only providing my opinion on the matter and giving credit when and where its due and sharing my experiences and knowledge with others.

Hope this helps some of you.

Dan

Click on link below for short 3 minute video I posted on Vimeo.

Ferrari 360 LED Tail Light Upgrade on Vimeo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Ahhhh....Stef....

Did you get the third brake light kit too with the flashing module? I'm gonna install mine next week.

3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Yes I did.

Video here: https://vimeo.com/90422081

Dan

4. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Sweeeeeeet

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

5. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Awesome vid. Stef would be so proud

6. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    $1500 for a LED conversion?

7. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Again. Not for the faint hearted. But worth every penny if you know the anount of r&d that has gone into designing this bulletproof product.

whatheheck likes this.
  8. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Plus it's not some cheap nasty LED off ebay. This is the good stuff.

whatheheck likes this.
  9. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    Are brake light modulators legal for cars? I have one on my bike and I know for a fact that it has saved me many times from being rear ended. Looks like a great kit
    Do you think the LED brightness gets washed out in day light?

10. diSCUDsted

diSCUDsted Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2010
    ILLinois
    Great video! And product seems very sound as well. I believe this is the same company that offered a kit, only for my 430 Scuderia when I had it. I have now moved on to a 458, so luckily has L.E.D. from factory now.

Only way your video may have been better from my perspective, is if you could have shown the beforre and after results at the same time of day (in which I believe the daylight time shows best).

Having said that, looking for the correct L.E.D. bulbs for my license plate lights. Do you believe the same links you've posted from your other threads will suffice?

Thank you.

11. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    I have the first gen kit on my Scudie and its bright as during day. Ultra at night. I've gone on to purchase the update kit with the third brake light. Its that good.

12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thank you!

Dan

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Like I said, not cheap, but in my opinion its worth every penny.
    For me, its money well spent.

How much do you guys think Ferrari will charge if they are to make their own LED tail light conversion kit?

Dan

14. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Brake light flashers are legal in my State. I am not sure for other States.

It grabs the attention of drivers behind us not paying attention to their driving.

I had the same on my M6 and I love it.

The LED's are brighter than stock so I am certain it will not get washed out in day time.

Dan

15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    1000% agree.

The amount of R & D, trial and error, design and choice of materials for top notch build quality makes this kit worth every penny.

Dan

16. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    #16 whatheheck, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    Thanks for the kind words.

I agree, I could have shot both videos on the same time of the day for better comparison but I spent enough time on the videos already....... I love creating videos but they are very time consuming.

Yes, the correct LED for license plate bulb is 38mm.
    Buy the LED bulbs that suits your choice of brightness.

My DIY 360 License Plate LED mod post here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430/440868-diy-license-plate-bulb-led-upgrade.html

Dan

17. Hemming

Hemming Rookie

Dec 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    peter hemming
    Hi Dan

im trying to install my 3rd brake led light but im simply worried about taking the original out as there are rivets and a few bolts, would you be able to tell me step by step how you replaced yours? I bought a genuine replacement which doesn't come with any wires only a plug port which I assume is for the original wire to plug straight into .

cheers

Peter

18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Peter,

Very easy to replace. No rivets. There are two nuts in the back that you will have to loosen then remove (be careful not to drop the nuts in the engine bay).

Once the nuts are removed you simply push the 3rd brake light out. You will see the light connector where the car connector plugs in to.

The OE 3rd brake light is not very bright. I highly recommend Scud Ing Swiss 3rd LED brake light as they are much brighter.

If you cant figure it out eMail me at [email protected] I will give you my phone number and you can call me so I can explain better.

Dan