High miles and value.... again.... | FerrariChat

High miles and value.... again....

Discussion in '360/430' started by J. Salmon, Dec 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I am looking at a high miles 430 (47k miles now). I drive my cars, so it would quickly be over 50k miles. To me, this doesn't mean much, but the real-world value is a different thing. How much of a hit is the 50k mark to a well-maintained 430?

2. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    If you want to put miles on a car, buying one with miles, carfax blemishes, or cosmetic issues is the way to go, since the car already took a big hit on value. That is assuming you buy it at a good price.

RedNeck likes this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    spider or coupe and what year?
    all depends on what price you are starting from - if you buy it cheap enough it wont matter. if you spend 80k on it you prob have 20k of downside.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    2005 red/black coupe. Cosmetically probably 8 out of 10? (depends on who you are...) Wrinkled airbag cover, bolster wear, lots of nose paint wear but not bad to me as I just don't care about these things much. Mechanically solid with headers replaced and a good clutch.

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    What do you think you can get it for? Sounds like a great driver

6. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    There is a 19k miles car (private sale) that needs a lot of service - clutch, brakes, probably a quieter muffler - and they are asking 90k but I think it would be no more than 85.
    I am thinking of offering 75 for this one, as it's from a dealer. I am not a good negotiator...

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    If the 19,000 mile car can be had for 85 then u shouldn’t spend more than 65 on a 50k mile car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedNeck, armedferret and J. Salmon like this.
  8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    DeTomasoGTS74 and armedferret like this.
  9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    20 plus percent off a no stories well maintained 10k car

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

10. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Real talk right there. There was a 430 not too long ago with similar miles the dealer was asking 70k for. Sold it to an F-chatter.

honda corse likes this.
  11. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    Pricing is up in recent months because demand has risen for many luxury cars and homes. Here in Maui there are many full price sight unseen homes that are selling. I sell affordable beach land in Belize and am having my biggest year ...many sight unseen..Low interest loans and many folks realizing they are mortal....

one4torque likes this.
  12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  13. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Life is short, so I bought it. Screw it, it's awesome! 46k miles, I hope to run it up into rarified territory (>100k).

14. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Congrats!!...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    Congrats!!
    Question for everyone though. I’m seeing a lot of comps to cars of different colors. I’ve always been told that “resale rosso corsa” adds $ to the value to the demand and it’s not a fair comparison to a black or red car. Is that no longer true?

Asking for a friend with a Red/Tan 430 Spider...

NMNMNMN likes this.
  16. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I believe the value of a rosso corsa car is pretty similar to that of a red car !

Whether either of those colors has greater value is doubtful however it is likely that they will sell quicker

Dewinator likes this.
  17. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    #17 Dewinator, Dec 31, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    People think red cars go for higher because they don't understand liquidity. Red cars are more common, but also more people buy them, so it is a more liquid market. The price difference between needing to move a red car tomorrow or waiting to get the best price is not that high.

With a rare color, a motivated seller may well have to accept a very low price, but if they hold on to the car until the motivated buyer comes along that wants that car and that car only, they can demand a premium.

So the expected sale price for red cars is similar to that of other colors in the same condition, but it's a much more liquid market. Of course for a dealer that has limited inventory, a car that sits for longer to sell at the same price means lower profit.

18. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    Every red one you see is listed and sells for more money because the demand is greater. Any analysis has to adhere to that real life-easy to check fact.

19. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    To be honest, I didn't really care about the color, I just didn't want black. My fave is TDF blue. I looked at a silver car and liked it. This is rossa corsa, and though I don't care per se (and honestly prefer to be low key but that's just not possible in this arena) I will say that I think Ferrari does red better than anyone. You get so used to these things if you have the privilege of spending some time as an owner that I think you lose a little perspective. Christ almighty a 430 is a machine. My friend just bought a 458 and seeing it on the road in the wild is otherworldly in a town like mine.

20. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    This shows how little I care... It's NOT RC, it's R Scuderia! I thought it popped...
    Hopefully clear weather tomorrow. I am losing my mind staring at it...

21. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Enjoy sir! Life is too short to worry about color value margins. :)

22. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

literally, could not be a more disgusting day here "south of the border". I rode 60 miles today in fog, muck, and cold.

If you'd been on the road today, you'd be cleaning it for a week...

23. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Managed a short but incredible drive. Best sports car I have ever driven, much less owned (at least for what I want out of it).
    I SHOULD be out on my bike as well, but I am not nearly as committed as that... hopefully to the pool today after a bit of work here because it's already raining...
    Cheers all!

Ricambi America likes this.