3D 308GTB (Blender project) | FerrariChat

3D 308GTB (Blender project)

Discussion in '308/328' started by Furanku, Dec 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    Last summer I had some time to spare, and I decided to learn how to design things in 3D. I started using a free soft called Blender, following the step by step tutorials made by a Youtuber going by the name of "Blender Guru". After a few weeks, I decided to try to do my own car in Blender, and I have to say the result, although still not perfect, is much better than what I originally thought I could achieve.
    The car I modeled is 19169, an Italian Vetroresina that has now Japanese plates. I also made different sets of plates, with "308 GTB" written on it, as you can see in the picture below. I can switch lights on, open the headlights and change the color at will. It's also quite easy to put the car on a picture background, although I'm not good enough to make this feel natural. The result looks like a Gran Turismo picture, but I guess I'm reaching the limits of my skills here! ;-)

The strange thing is that the car is technically silver, and I do see it silver in my renderings, but everyone I've shown it to tell me they see it white. I guess I should make the grey a bit darker...

I also made a short animation just to show how it looks from the different angles. It is still an ongoing project, but I feel it's now ready to be shown and to receive some constructive comments from the 308 experts on Fchat!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

crinoid, Du_Man, Martin308GTB and 3 others like this.
  2. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    This is what it looks like with the front lights on (I forgot to turn on the lower lights too...)

I spent a stupid amount of time doing those wipers...

The lenses have all the original markings, I drew them by hand with an ipad and an iPencil!

I like the 308 logo a lot.

Overall proportions are based on blueprints I found online, then pictures I found and some of my car I took when necessary

Playing with colors is quite fun. This one reminds me of a vetro that sold a few years ago at an auction, just when prices where starting to raise.

An finally, here is where it all started: the first rendering I did of my project. Looking better now, doesn't it? Oh, and remember, I am not an artist, I'm a financial controller, which means that with some time and dedication, anybody can do what I did, and all that with a free software and an old computer! But to be honest, it used to take 13 minutes to render ONE picture with my 2013 Macbook Pro, so I finally updated it to a recent desktop computer, and now it takes 30 seconds)

crinoid, Pero, Martin308GTB and 2 others like this.
  3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Wow fantastic work. Congratulations on the new skill

Furanku likes this.
  4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Impressive!

Furanku likes this.
  5. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Wow! I am impressed-- your talents are wasted on bean counting :)

6. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    The bean counting is what allowed me to buy the real one in the first place! And believe me, if you knew how much time I spent on this little project, you'd know there is no way I could actually make good money with this "skill"! :p

derekw likes this.
  7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Nicely done! Did you do the doors and front clip as separate panels, or "fake" the gaps with a bump/displacement map?

8. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    If you make more
    Models I’m in for buying one.
    What a great job

9. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    I originally started with one big shape, as you can see on the early picture, but I quickly understood the only way to do it properly was to proceed panel by panel. All the gaps are "real".
    After I finished the body panels, I started working on the different details like some lights. I got better and better while doing it, and after some time I realized the body panels, which are the first thing you see when looking at the car, where not really satisfactory. I decided to redo them all with my newly acquired experience, and although it took me forever to do it, it was worth it. Now when I look at the original panels, I'm really glad I changed them all!

thorn likes this.
  10. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    I don't think I'll start another project, this is way too time consuming, and this one is far from finished anyway. I would like to finish some parts that can be seen from certain angles (everything hidden behind the front grill, and the suspension/chassis parts visible around the exhaust system), and then do the interior properly. After that, ideally I would like to find a way to create a quick editor in Blender to easily switch lights on/off, choose the color, turn the wheels, choose the plates and maybe even change some body parts to make different versions (16in. wheels, deep spoiler, US bumpers, steel body...). But even like that, frankly I don't think I would feel comfortable selling the file. If you look closely, it's very amateurish, and it has a crazy amount of details that a professional would probably avoid to save computer resources.

Anyway, I guess you'll like this color? ;)

SJP 5 and Pero like this.
  11. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Simply stupefying. Cant imagine the hours gone into that.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    To me this is and always will be the best look of this series.

A yellow/black (non QV) GTB

SJP 5 likes this.
  13. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Oh yes!

14. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009

Another version of the video, this time the color is more silver and less white, and I put the lights on!

Pero likes this.
  15. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Will Blender do wind tunneling? Thx

16. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    No, it won't. It does feature some physics simulations, like water or smoke, but it's only there to make it look real. The software is 100% aimed at 3D graphics (animation, video games...), not at anything related to actual things like wind simulation, CAD or 3D printing.

17. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Can the image be exported? I would love to talk with you about a project that would require virtual wind tunnel testing.

18. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    Images can be exported, and I guess you can also transfer the 3D model, at least the "geometry", to another 3D processing software, but I don't know anything about that. Of courser you can contact me in PM if you want to discuss further, but very honestly speaking, I don't think I can be of much help with what you're trying to do! ;)

19. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
  20. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    That's awesome man :)

I do this stuff for a living or well now I do mostly FX work.

Last car I did was quite a while ago
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I started a F40 a long time ago, but never got around to finishing it :/

21. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The images didn’t attach...?

22. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Bonne année et bonne santé

23. MAGNUMTHOMAS308

Jul 6, 2017
    Bonjour
    Peux t'on avoir le fichier en 3DS ?

24. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    A priori c'est possible techniquement. Si tu veux en parler tu peux m'écrire pas MP!

25. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow first post, Welcome!