Autocrossing F430 Spider F1 | FerrariChat

Autocrossing F430 Spider F1

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by hbk_bkk, Jan 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hbk_bkk

hbk_bkk Rookie

Jan 16, 2012
    Norman Park, GA
    Full Name:
    Barry
    I’ve found a new hobby that I love in Autocross. I’ve been driving a C6 Z06, but just bought a new to me 2007 F430 Spider F1. It’s got stock wheels and oem size Michelin Pilot 4S tires. I’d like to upgrade the tire to a Bridgestone RE71R 200 tread wear tire and am also considering going up 10mm in width on the front and back. Thoughts on that? Any other suggestions? Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

armedferret and E60 M5 like this.
  2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    If you really get into autocross... I would pickup a used Miata. Low cost and competitive in its class.

the downside to ax w your f car::
    Brakes
    Ties
    Ball jts
    Steering rack wear
    And cone scuff marks on the low front end
    And clutch wear from jack rabbit starts

there are much better cars for ax

Now if you just want to try it go for it... but it will be hard on the car and hard to be competitive.

all my 2 cents.

3. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    ^^^^^^ Completely agree with this.

or pick up an older Corvette to autocross (autocrossed C5 Corvettes and Mini Coopers).

hbk_bkk likes this.
  4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    C5 vet w sticky tires ss brake lines hawk pads... have fun!!!

hbk_bkk and armedferret like this.
  5. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    F1 seems like a mistake in Autocross. I would think you want that 3rd pedal to feed clutch. I think the low speed corners you'll find you're uncoupling / coupling and will not only heat the clutch, but you'll be going slow as well.

hbk_bkk likes this.
  6. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    Most folks don't get out of second. Top speeds under 60 are usual. No need for jack rabbit starts or a third pedal. My hopped up Miata can beat my 430. A set of new tires lasts for 8 races of 1 mile

honda corse and hbk_bkk like this.
  7. hbk_bkk

hbk_bkk Rookie

Jan 16, 2012
    Norman Park, GA
    Full Name:
    Barry
    Thanks for the responses. I definitely don’t plan to drive with reckless abandon, I wouldn’t just beat on the car; but that sound coming out the exhaust can’t be beat by many cars. I’m just trying to get advice on what things I may want to do to get the most out of the car, when I autocross it. I’m already planning on going with Goodyear Supercar 3 tires. The car has ppf. Anything else prep wise I might want to do?

8. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hopefully get some more questions answered in this section now, seems to have run its course in 360/430, pardon the pun.

hbk_bkk likes this.
  9. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    The main way to improve your times is to buy some race tires and switch at the track. They will put you in front of better drivers in faster cars. Supercar3 will cost about $350 a day in tire wear costs. This is the biggest expense for us. You may want to race on the old ones at first, before buying Supercar. It will save a fortune and get you the experience to decide.

hbk_bkk likes this.
  10. hbk_bkk

hbk_bkk Rookie

Jan 16, 2012
    Norman Park, GA
    Full Name:
    Barry
    I’m planning on using the Supercar 3 street tires, to run the street tire classes we have at my local autocross clubs. If I were to go to a national event, I would certainly be dead meat without race tires, because this car is officially classed as Super Street Prepared which allows basically any wheels and tires as well as a few other mods; so I’d have to look at Hoosiers probably to be competitive- but I’m not really aspiring to that level yet; just want to have some fun with my local clubs.

11. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    There is nothing wrong with AutoX'ing for 430. This is a GREAT way to learn the car, its capability in a safe environment and advance your driving skill. I HIGHLY recommend doing this.

Is the 430 or any Ferrari the perfect AutoX car...no... as some have already noted in the replies above a Miata or a Porsche Boxster would be cheaper and at times actually faster on tight AutoX courses.....you can still improve your driving in these types of cars but if you want to learn your 430 or any car you drive...well then drive that on the AutoX course...again nothing wrong.

AutoX is not really all that hard on the car. you do not heat up the brakes much in AutoX and the suspension stress in really nothing compared to actually taking the car out on a race track of a DE track day event were brake heat is much much higher, speeds are twice as high, suspicion stress higher and there are walls to hit if you screw up.

Go for it in your 430...learn and have fun!

Manda racing, honda corse and hbk_bkk like this.
  12. honda corse

honda corse Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2011
    Vancouver & Whistler
    Full Name:
    mark buchmann
    Sounds like you have the right mindset. You won’t be fast but you’ll be grinning from ear to ear! I would recommend Motul or Castrol high temp race fluid and Ferodo DS2500 pads. I would also do stainless lines. I believe Formula Dynamics is the only one that offers front and rear fitment. I’m running Michelin Cup 2’s but sounds like you got the tire sorted.
    Also I agree that autoX is not detrimental to the car. I track mine occasionally at Area 27 and besides the weak brakes (running steel brakes) it drives wonderfully....... slow :) corner workers love my car!!

hbk_bkk likes this.