Ferrari or McLaren (other?)? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari or McLaren (other?)?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by hallsdad, Nov 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino

I was originally soft on the 570 looks, but the more time I spend with it, the more I like from every aspect. A buddy of mine has a 12C and we swapped cars. When we traded back he thought the 570 was quicker and more engaging to drive. I actually was shocked when I hit the gas in the 12C, as I thought the same the same thing, but I said nothing until my buddy started waxing on about how good the 570 was.

I had been hankering for a switch to either the 600LT or a 720S. I drove over to the dealer and drove both of them back to back. Maybe it was that there was too much traffic and not really enough open space to open them up. But this was the real world and to be honest, there wasn't that massive a difference in speed. I am sure at a track, the differences would be apparent. But I only do 6 or so track days/year. In the real world, they are different flavors from the same ice cream store. After driving all 3, it made me appreciate just how good the 570 is.

2. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Doing ones own maintenance and repairs is difficult to use in comparison of Ferrari vs McLaren since the McLarens are all relatively new with more computers etc doing the hard work. So need to compare cars from same time period as modern Ferraris compare to McLarens. That said the 720S upped the ante performance wise forcing Ferrari to respond. Yes turbos, electric propulsion are not “pure” but they are here and the future. Drive what you like and dispose of the the ones you don’t- someone out there would love to have it. It’s what being car nuts is all about-just don’t complain when you sell something markedly depreciated of any brand(except of course when you sell what turns out to be a future classic that trades at multiples of your original purchase price)

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have been fortunate enough to get a factory McLaren Diagnostic Tool. It has made the ownership experience. So far, the McLaren has been very easy to work on.

Boomhauer likes this.
  4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Easy to work on? Not so sure about that.

This is a 720s exhaust swap I did a couple weeks ago. I would not say it was easy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

BJK and DrewH like this.
  5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
  7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm still not too sure of the most cost effective way to change the spark plugs. I have a 650s in peices right now waiting on parts. Different car then the 720..but the amount of disassembly required for access is ridiculous.