Testarossa, cylinders 1-6 not all firing | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Testarossa, cylinders 1-6 not all firing

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by PA32Pilot, Jan 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Confirmed with timing light all wires are getting spark.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    And the voltage measurement of the red wire at the water thermoswitch when cranking or running?

3. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Ok, issue is now gone. I hate when this happens. What can I look at that is obviously failing?

4. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'm going with unplugging/replugging the round C12 and C13 connectors to wipe those connections (all of the signals going to, and from, the Protection Relay pass thru them, and losing any one is fatal). Or maybe just shaking the Protection Relay a little...

5. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I’m going to clean those connectors.

My large round connection does not screw on, I need to replace it

Qavion likes this.
  6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #31 Steve Magnusson, Jan 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    Yes, that's not good for the connections as it allows a lot of fretting micromotion plus puts loads on the connectors that shouldn't be there. Have you found the threads with the C12 Tyco/Amp part number to get a replacement?

7. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I’m trying to cross reference to find a part.

8. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I always learn something from this site. Any idea what the tool looks like which allows you to remove each individual pin from the round connector? Mine also has a broken locking ring. Something to do during the next engine out service.

9. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Jonard R-5926 Pin Extractor, 16-20 Contact Size, 3" Length

Look for that on amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006962LBU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Boa8Fb7JDD0DF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

That's what I used for mine. I made a how to post on how to do it. But I can't seem to find it

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Veedub00 likes this.
  10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I've just noticed that my coloured wiring diagram pin numbering is not matching Jamie's photo of C12. The WSM diagram is a little blurry, so I had to guess some of the mumbers:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

It looks like 2 pins of 24 are missing (i.e. 23 and 24), so I need to match up the numbers 1~22.

There are a few unknowns...

17, 18, 13, 9?, 12, 14, 6?, 8?, 21, 22, ??, 15, 10, 20, ??, 7, 3, 4, 2, 11, 5, 1

I need to assign 6, 8, 9, 16 & 19

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It may also be possible to get the new locking ring off of the new connector (by destroying the retaining lip of new housing) and then snap it onto the old housing (after breaking off the old locking ring, if necessary).

vincenzo likes this.
  12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Here's a 600 dpi scan of that area from Fig 3 of the late US TR wiring diagram 509/88:

curtisc63, Qavion and turbo-joe like this.
  13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Perfect, thanks Steve. I even picked up some extra detail on the barometric capsules and relay C.

Revised diagram here:

https://www.dropbox.com/t/V8JXbzcz4Y3q8MOz

curtisc63 likes this.
  14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Is there a reason why you prefer to save these files in .gif format?

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It's a combination of factors, one of them being budget. Adobe Editor or whatever it's called now, for example, is quite expensive.

Gif format seems to have a smaller file size (at least if your diagram consists of mostly thin lines). png files and bmp files are gigantic. Adobe files tend to be quite large, but they do offer a lot of flexibility. If you draw coloured lines on jpg diagrams, as you know, they blur straight away when you save the file.
    I don't need a large range of colours for these wiring diagrams so gif is ok.
    When you open gif files in Windows Paint (at least the older Windows XP version), the lines are crisp and the colours are maintained at the standard magnifications (2x, 4x, 6x, 8x).
    I've recently switched to the latest version of Windows. The current Windows Paint has more tools, but I find it completely unusable. Amongst other things, you can't cut and paste small pieces of the images. I had to copy the old version of Windows Paint from my old PC to my new computer to be able to edit the files properly.
    Some folks have been able to successfully able to convert the gif files to pdf, but I think you need the fully registered version of Adobe to do it properly. I've tried free converters and the results haven't been very good. Converted Adobe files still produce messed up original colours and blurry lines depending on magnification.

Open to suggestions, though.

16. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, no better suggestion -- just thought that maybe there were some bouncing boobies that I wasn't seeing ;). I, too, don't have Adobe. Agree that win10 is terrible for viewing image files, but some viewers that I've tried will just "play" the gif (so I have to pause it just to keep it on the screen), and they don't give me any way to zoom and pan. I've got gimp on one of my computers so will try converting the gif to jpeg to see the effects you mention.

17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If you right click on the file, and select "Open with", then select Paint, you may have better luck. There is a way of associating all gif files always with Paint (but how to escapes me at the moment)

18. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    Thank you for the good information. I have it on the iPad and .gif is no problem.

Qavion likes this.
  19. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Thanks for the effort to document this. I "opened with Paint" and then saved it as a JPEG. Both versions worked for me. Very crisp and clear.

Qavion likes this.