430 - F430 - PIONEER SPH-10BT - Installed headunit | FerrariChat

430 F430 - PIONEER SPH-10BT - Installed headunit

Discussion in '360/430' started by VAF84, Mar 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

So finally got the headunit mostly installed on the F430. They hadn’t started selling it here in the US, but found one on Ebay that was shipped to me from the UK for about $130. Honestly, I love the unit and I wish cars had more of a setup like this, but a few pros and cons.

Pros:
    - Love the fact that I can clip my phone and use it as the screen while I’m driving.

- Big icons, fairly easy to use

- Can flip the phone vertical or horizontally.

- Connecting it is fairly straight forward.

- Focal speakers sound great with this headunit. Night and day from stock.

- I can actually use the radio. I could barely figure out how to turn on the original headunit (which I’ve kept).

- Bluetooth microphone for calls works great when I can connect to the unit.

Cons:
    - Although it connected easily the first time, I’ve had issues the second and third time I was home to try out it with my iPhone XS. Whenever I’m home again, I’ll have to see how serious this issue is. I haven’t had much time to play with it.

- A more serious issue is that I can’t sit the headunit flush with the dash when when the iPhone holder is utilized. I’m not sure how or if I will be able to solve this. However, I find this unit so useful, I may be willing to deal with a less attractive look in return for utility.

- I have to find an adapter for the antenna, so I cannot use the radio at the moment.

- Unit insists on playing Apple Music as a default player. So I’m always having to manually switch back to Spotify.

I have a few other things to mess around with, but I thought I’d at least get the conversation going for anyone who has considered this unit for their F430. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

whatheheck and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  2. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

whatheheck and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  3. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Found a way to post the video.

4. nicolory

nicolory Rookie

Jun 26, 2011
    Hello,

Can you tell me it adapter beam did you buy to avoid cutting the old ferrari connector?

Did you manage to connect the original microphone of the ferrari to the car radio ?

Thank you in advance for your answers

Nicolas

5. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    These look great, almost got one until I found the alpine f-309.
    But these are a great price with all the functionality one needs, and an appropriate footprint for our cars. I was just a little concerned with if the phone cradle would be robust enough, as there weren’t any models in this country to see with my own own eyes, so got the alpine which is amazing, but a tad large footprint.

VAF84 likes this.
  6. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Nicolory, wish I could help, but it seems the previous owner had an aftermarket unit at some point because I did not have to purchase an adapter for mine.

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Looks great!

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

VAF84 likes this.
  8. nicolory

nicolory Rookie

Jun 26, 2011
    Hello,

I installed the pionneer myself. It is very simple to do because the beams of origin ferrari are beams iso. It only has to clip into the bundle provided with the car stereo for it to work.

VAF84 likes this.
  9. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Awesome! Let me know how it works. My bluetooth started having issues after about the third time I used the car, now I'm relegated to the USB cord which is very annoying. Pioneer told me to reset the unit, so I did, but then I had issues getting it to even do the search. I need more time near my car to troubleshoot, but eventually I hope to address the issue or replace the unit again.

I like that Alpine btw! I'm going to consider if I continue having issues with my unit.

10. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Updated -

I can’t recommend this unit any longer. I never did get the Bluetooth to work. I purchased a replacement unit that came in yesterday, and had the same issue. Called tech support, they walked me through both units setting Bluetooth and neither worked. Tried it on both an IPhone 12 and IPhone XS. I even went through the whole firmware update instructions on the old one, and nothing. Then rep tells me it won’t work with the iPhone 12 until the next firmware update. So neither the old or new units work with my old iPhone, and neither my old or new phones work with the new unit. The idea is great, it just doesn’t work (for me). Seems geared towards non iPhones as it comes with Alexa, maybe that’s the issue.

I’ll copy and paste this on the other thread with the head unit conversation.

whatheheck likes this.
  11. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Udpate -

Okay, time to eat my words. Now that the car is with me, I’ve had a lot more time to sit in it and finagle with things. After three days of sitting in it while letting it run a bit, I finally got the Bluetooth to pair on the original unit (I returned the second unit). Now, I consider the unit great!

Here’s what I had to do:
    • Update the firmware to the latest version upon purchase
    • On iPhone, at least the new one, I had to shut down the phone, then restart it. Followed by turning off the Bluetooth on the phone for 5 seconds, then turning it back on. After which it picked up the the Bluetooth (SPH-10BT), I clicked on it, and it paired. I had the Pioneer unit in the system setting -> connect app -> Bluetooth
      • That tidbit on the iPhone I found by searching google and running into someone who had that same issue (a bit after I did my initial attempts in 2019).
    The only thing I have left is figure out how to lock the unit in place since I don’t have the box with me anymore with what I’m guessing is a bracket to helps it lock in, and how to keep the mic wire tucked away behind drivers side pillar. Also, I think I need an adapter for the antenna, which I’m not worried about since I hardly use the radio.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

dimitarc likes this.
  12. grtoz

grtoz Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    Byron Bay, Australia
    Full Name:
    Graeme Towers
    Just completed the installation of the Pioneer sph-c10bt in my 360.

I used an aerial adaptor and an iso to Pioneer harness that made it pretty much plug and play. Found them at my local auto store. See image for details.

I bent the tags on the sleeve to secure it in the hole originally occupied by the Becker head unit.

The hole at the back of the Pioneer head unit for the support fitting is M4 0.70. I rethreaded a bolt of suitable length, cut off the head and screwed it into the hole. I added a bit of tape and then screwed the plastic fitting from the Becker on to it.

I chose to mount the microphone on the steering column cover.

Very happy with the result. The phone mount is a solid metal fitting. Took me a few minutes to work out the synching but once done it works very well. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G955F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

VAF84 likes this.
  13. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Very nice! Glad you got it all hooked up. I used that same antenna adapter. They sent two in the package, I think I still have the extra in case anyone needs one in the future. I probably should have placed the mic on the steering wheel, but ended up running the wire up the dash and setting it on the pillar.

14. dimitarc

dimitarc Rookie

Apr 1, 2022
    Full Name:
    Dimitar Cvetkovski
    HI VAF84, thanks for this very useful information. I'm planning to upgrade the Becker in my 612 to the Pioneer SPH-20DAB. A couple of questions:
    1. Can you connect the original mic and the original parking sensors to the unit? I have a mic and factory parking sensors with the factory Becker and would like to use them instead of the Pioneer ones.
    2. I'm not sure if you have rear speakers or a subwoofer in the 430. In case you do, how did you connects them?

Thanks,
    Dimitar

VAF84 likes this.
  15. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Hi Dimitar, let me try and answer your questions, unfortunately it may not be much help since my model didn't have many options:
    1. Mine is a 2005, and it did not have a mic (that I know of) or parking sensors. I'm assuming that if they share the same plug you should be able to, and I don't doubt that if they don't match there must be some adapter sold for it.
    2. Mine had the (stock?) two woofers between the seats. We just plugged in the harness as directed in the instructions. There weren't any special steps or extra work done other than what was shown on the instructions. I did have to get an adapter for the antenna, but that's it.

16. dimitarc

dimitarc Rookie

Apr 1, 2022
    Full Name:
    Dimitar Cvetkovski
    Thank you, much appreciated. I guess it would be best if I tried to take the Becker out first and check what's behind.

VAF84 likes this.