F8 or STO? | Page 39 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    The STO will surely be better than whatever they have put out in that platform but whether it measures up against the rivals is another question altogether.

Gh21631 likes this.
  2. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Exactly this. I think it’s reasonable for Lamborghini clients to expect the STO to be the most exciting Huracan variant yet but it’s a tall order to think it will outperform its competitors on track. Time will tell. One thing is certain, Lambo is focused on emphasizing that it’s basically a street legal STS as evidenced by their marketing slogan “Based on a true story”.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Shack and Thecadster like this.
  3. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    That’s the only question I have for now. Thanks in advance.

Shack likes this.
  4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I would like to believe this but they could be watching Lambo come out with seventeen versions of a Huracan or Aventador and some keep buying.

Surfah likes this.
  5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If they come out with an F8 version of the Pista, there is no reason ever to buy a new Ferrari again. Why would you when the wait lists for the imposisble to get Pista was forever and now the used market is littered with them. Same will happen with F8 and their special edition and anything else Ferrari puts out. Savvy consumers will thunk twice about dropping that much coin.

Ash Patel, Gh21631, Shack and 2 others like this.
  6. WM458

WM458 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2014
    Germany
    #956 WM458, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    To answer your question: I signed the preliminary order already.
    Thru this, my Intension is far from insisting in something that is beyond any reality, or even an attempt to forum BSing. But to help to create more clarity,
    Besides the fact my contact is the GM of the largest dealer in the country, I wonder whether there are tendencies to neglect, at least hide Ferraris true plannings by high officials as long as possible. Only to justify the future existence of the Tributo.
    We will see. Thanks anyhow for the exchange.

MANDALAY and Shadowfax like this.
  7. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    No different to Porsche wth 50 versions of essential the same car. The 911R, Speedster etc are perfect examples in how to utterly bend over your customers. Yet it doesn't stop customers happily buying the next one.

WM458, Fastmd, Gh21631 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I agree but they will still have people lined up who think they're special to buy one. I don't begrudge anyone making money but don't be a whole.

9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Short term they might win. But what kind of customer would you want- a one time buyer who saves up to get the latest and greatest or someone who buys repeatedly? The repeat customers will
    Move on and that will not be good for ferrari

10. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    RACE is doing well, investors want to see profits increase and the amount of supercar buyers is increasing every year. I can't see Ferrari missing out which is why I wouldn't rule out a F8 Pista variant.

11. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    The fact that LB is due to be unveiled in 2021 and that we haven’t seen any F8 VS mules running around lends me to believe that it won’t become a reality. Further, I don’t think they could make it sufficiently outperform the Pista without then nipping at the heels of the SF90 or without taking the limelight away from the LB. Ferrari will want all eyes to be on the new car.

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #962 Shadowfax, Dec 29, 2020
    Thanks for your candid and honest answer WM458. I guess time will tell who's source is BS. If it be found true, I can only imagine what it would do with Pista values and how it would affect valuable clients who had gone to the extra length of building TM Pista's at considerable expense. Frankly I can't see what Ferrari would gain by the exercise other than burning a lot of existing clients to the ground and placing doubt over their SF newer range. It could also piss off a number of SF90 customers. Just imagine if you had an SF90 order in and you found out you could buy a LW F8 with the same or better engine in it? If it were me I'd be telling them to jam their SF90 order where the sun doesn't shine and I doubt I'd be the only one.

It is no longer just about power and speed for these LW versions either as evidenced by STO, GT3 which have naturally aspirated engines. 765LT is turbo but also not that much faster, and probably not notably faster than F8 or Pista on a circuit anyway.

The only way an F8 LW version would be able to compete with cars like 765, STO, and new GT cars is by completely revising the existing chassis to make it raw and connected in feel along with adding a decent sound - desirably a naturally aspirated v10 or v12 engine given its clear the turbo V8 has sound issues since GPF. This would involve considerable work and changes to existing chassis componentry to an end of life model, and, would accordingly require considerable track testing which would have revealed the car by now in some form or other. 2021 is only a matter of days away now too. Then there is the case where an outgoing lw version would cast doubt and detract attention away from the future models (SF90 - LB) and i'm not sure how that would work positively for SF90 sales or LB which would have to be getting close to release. I suspect what your dealer is referring to is LB release late 2021 after all going by all the spy pics LB seems to be using much the same body as F8.

13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Add to the fact every F8 spider and coupe order would be in jeopardy as people would try to scramble to get the f8 special edition- that would hurt Ferrari quarterly numbers hugely.

Little brother coming soon.
    Purosangue coming soon.
    F8 special edition probably not coming anytime soon.

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yes simple logic says it's lights out after F8 and on with the new models.

I wonder what @ferr9000 may have to add on the matter?

Thecadster likes this.
  15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    day355 already said no special edition.

Thecadster and Gh21631 like this.
  16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Probably correct.
    With 720>Pista though, there is room for an F8 hardcore before hitting SPF90

17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Herein lies the rub. I don’t think Ferrari cares about performance. If they did, Pista would have bested 720 by 20-30 hp. But it’s essentially exactly the same. And the F8- the ty could have done a carbon tub, more hp, lighter weight. They did nothing.

I think they are content to lose the performance race to Mclaren and be content knowing that there are people who consider Ferrari the penultimate in sports cars. Many on this board have said so- Ferrari is tops and everything else is a step below.

They sold every Pista they made. They will sell every F8 and F8 they make. All these people talking about Ferrari not leaving profits on the table- they aren’t. They are already milking it to the max. They have to be concerned about legacy and longevity. Throwing another special edition car- 3rd one in 10 tee Wes on the same platform is not going to win them any points with their existing customer base. And I’d they think they can build a whole new base of customers willing to drop 400k on a car- well- I wouldn’t be so sure about that as a long term strategy. Always cheaper to keep your existing customers than to gain new ones and the f8 special edition has lots of risks for them.

18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    F8 VS will have buyers lining up. No reason to think otherwise.

19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So will little brother. So will f8 spider.

20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You’re not wrong.

SoCal to az likes this.
  21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    True. But at what cost? Trust is a big thing at this level of spend. New customers buying Ferrari's would have to start thinking when is it going to happen to them too. I know I would be thinking twice about spending my money with an unpredictable company who says one thing and then does the complete opposite once they have your money. They burnt a lot of GTB customers that's for sure. Not sure if they can continue getting away with that type of behavior unscathed.

22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There’s always new money that wants into the brand or those who have been snubbed in the past. The heavy hitters will always buy the special cars. Ferrari isn’t running out of buyers any time soon.

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I beg to differ. At this level of spend there isn't an endless supply of buyers. Once a company instills uncertainty at this level of spend resale values will start falling through the floorboards.

24. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    not an endless supply but there’s plenty. Especially with Asian millionaires growing daily.

25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    #975 SoCal to az, Dec 29, 2020
    Is that why lusso are flying off the shelf? Same with Portofino ‘s? There isn’t an endless supply of buyers not at this level. Yes there are buyers but Ferrari wants the right type of buyer.