F8 or STO? | Page 37 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    F8 lightweight version is already here so need to wait for 2022. It's called Pista. And Ferrari has already responded with SF90 and will respond further to 765lt when LB hits the market. Whoever is telling you there will be a Pista mk 2 is just stringing you along. The 488 series is over/finished/done. This is not news.

Il Co-Pilota and GT2goneF like this.
  2. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Yeah, nothing has been even rumored. It must be kept super secret because the Toaster and the 812 GTO were immediately spied. I don't know about this.

Shadowfax likes this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    My guess is, that F8 VS rumour is a dealer playing games, as usual - or just a dealer guessing based on nothing.

The Pista is the VS, and Ferrari already have a car that wipes the floor with the 765LT, it's called an SF90 AF.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GT2goneF and Shadowfax like this.
  4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #904 Shadowfax, Dec 27, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    This is a current reality and I imagine the outcome wont be any different with LB. That all said I think i'd prefer the slower 765 with more driver engagement, raw feel and stronger engine sound. Truth be known I prefer driving my 3rs than my Pista on mountain roads - and circuit - for much the same reasons. No slight on the Pista but its very much a regular road car and up a tight windy mountain road the less powerful, harder edged, and better connected 3rs gives the bigger smile per mile....or should I say km.

5. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    ya, I can imagine. The F, as fun as it is, struggles with holding grip in very tight twisty roads. That 3rs has that perfect balance under these conditions.

Chasing one down in my 458 onThe Hellbender (Rt 28) in western NC...... Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I doubt it. SF90 is fat and not very attractive.

GT2goneF, Shadowfax and Coincid like this.
  7. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I spoke to my dealer before placing a deposit on an F8 Spider earlier this month. Given the typical wait times, I expressed concern about it being a fools errand and setting myself up for failure.

He assured me it wasn’t, but did say the window on accepting deposits was quickly closing. I have no idea how that transpires into the end of the F8’s life cycle; my guess would be F8 deliveries wrapped up by 1Q 2022.

Shadowfax and GT2goneF like this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    When the dust settles I will bet the SF90 and 765 will be too close to call. SF90 will be almost 1000lbs heavier which negates the additional power.

Coincid, GT2goneF, Shadowfax and 3 others like this.
  9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    765lt seems to lack stability with all that power, according to some who have driven it in anger.
    $400k vs $600k is a fairly wide delta in price also.

GT2goneF likes this.
  10. WM458

WM458 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2014
    Germany
    I can just repeat what I was told by two dealers independently.
    EOP of F8 (Spider) end of 2022. LW version included.
    Confirmed delivery of my F8 Spider Q2/21.

MANDALAY likes this.
  11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Time will tell but there is no point flaring it up again. Ferrari will not miss the opportunity because its the end of what we know as non electric.

WM458 and GT2goneF like this.
  12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    How many people knew of the limited 15 only US spec Maclaren Sabre ?

Would have thought one of our esteemed wealthy American would have bout one , especially if $$ wasn't an issue. Looks like everyone is releasing limited products because EVERYONE knows its the end of the run of cars as we know them................. So is anyone here one of the 15 ONLY ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Whether it does or doesn't is of no consequence really. I'm over all this unusable huge h/power which can't be used up through a mountain pass. All it does is frustrate and work against the balance and rhythm. Even in a 520hp 3rs it's not often you can use the full beans and stretch of the engine but the overall package delivers such beautiful feedback, sensation, and balance, I honestly don't think it gets better than this no matter how much extra power is thrown at a car. With 765, while it has the big power on all accounts it has all the elements working toward providing proper driver engagement. All I can see and read about SF90 is a car endowed with massive nannies and power, leaving acceleration as the main thrill. Elements like sound, raw feel and hardwired driver feedback are clearly not part of the equation. Its basically just a questionable looking overpriced iron fist, and a very heavy one at that.

Gh21631, wthensler and GT2goneF like this.
  14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #914 Shadowfax, Dec 27, 2020
    And this is exactly how it is. It doesn't matter how much power the car behind you has it struggles to keep where it counts. I think if the F had a better throttle and brake modulation it would make it easier and less stressful but they still haven't managed to deliver a package as honed as the 3rs even in Pista. Pity because its such a good car and does make up in other ways but in the realm of precision, power delivery, and hardwired feedback the rs is king of the heap. And that is why it gives the bigger smile per mile/km on these types of roads. You don't need 700hp and even Pistas 700hp doesn't make up for it's shortcomings in these key areas. And I did I mention sound? No. Because in that area there is no point trying to compare. So if the 765 can make up where Pista falls over and, can match the thrill level of a 3rs up a mountain pass then I don't care about its lap time.

GT2goneF and wthensler like this.
  15. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I will be able to compare the F8 vs my GT2 as soon as I get a chance to go up Lake Arrowhead.

Shadowfax and wthensler like this.
  16. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Yes and yes. And also on the balance of the 3RS. Could only be written by someone who’s been there........I sure hope the F8 is better than the 458.......

Shadowfax and GT2goneF like this.
  17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #917 Shadowfax, Dec 27, 2020
    It is a better car other than in the area of sound emotion which is a big thing in a car of this nature. F8 is definitely more resolved in the chassis and has a nicer balance and steering feel about it, but it even with all that extra power I still can't see it putting much pressure on a well driven 3rs up a tight mountain pass or road as F8's general seating and ergonomic is not as good, and as a package is nowhere near as hard edged, hardwired and honed as a 3rs. I think if the F8 was put up front and the 3rs behind, the 3rs would put much more pressure on the F8 driver than if the roles were reversed. And overall the fun, driver engagement, and smiles would still be greater in the 3rs in that environment. I've got no doubt about that as I've driven both very hard. And in the sound dept - no contest... as everyone already knows. This is where the STO may have a shoe in as being a contender in this type of environment but the benchmark has been set very high by the current 3rs and on all accounts the 992gt3 has raised the bar again, so where that leaves the STO in the hustings is yet to be seen/reported on. But like the 458, at least the STO will produce a decent sound whilst going through the motions of trying to keep pace.

wthensler and GT2goneF like this.
  18. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    That’s a great road!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT2goneF likes this.
  19. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    This will be subjective, depending on what you consider better for you.
    This could be true. The 3RS is a track car. But I don't think it would be significantly better by an incredibly large margin.

20. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I know that route and the LA forest like the back of my hand. They are my favorite drives nearby.

Shadowfax likes this.
  21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #921 Shadowfax, Dec 27, 2020
    Its hard to say whether it being subjective could apply on a mountain rd/pass environment as its pretty clear once you drive both which of the two is the better connected and the more engaging when pushed hard and it definitely isn't the F8 which tends to move around more and doesn't possess the same level of precision in the controls. Even with the F8 having the more supple suspension doesn't work in its favor in this type of driving environment like it would work on an undulated open blacktop. So I'd have to say subjective is out the window here because there is quite a margin. Similarly with your 997gt2 it could also edge out an F8 on a tight windy back road as you can feel more through the tiller and chassis.

On a straight back road the F8 will eat the 3rs until it gets to corners. There is nothing subjective about that either as the F8 clearly holds a clear power advantage over the 3rs along the straights. Its where things tighten right up that the F8 will lose any edge. Keep in mind what is better for you in this type of situation all changes when the pressure to keep up or, keep enough pace ahead of the car behind you comes into play. I recall a mountain run a few years back in my 991tts which is a very fast and capable car and a 997gt2 and 991gt3 put me in my place. We were all pushing very hard too but it became clear to me just how these gt cars really come into their own in the right environment. It was a lesson in reality where the latest tech didn't bring home the bacon.

GT2goneF likes this.
  22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Are you on our LA Ferrari drive chat?
    We’ve crossed paths I assume

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I was referring to what he was precisely looking to get out of the car. What may be harsh for somebody, may be perfect for another. If you ask me 6-10 years ago about m GT2 clutch, I would tell you, it is perfect. Ask me now... I never in my life thought I would go DCT, EVER. I thought that was only for F1 and track, to save minutes in a long race. Although, I still think that driving a manual transmission is certainly more engaging, exciting and raw than DCT (if you don't believe me look at Senna on F1 before DCT), I have now accepted the fact that at this stage, I would likely enjoy the Ferrari DCT more in more frequent and particularly longer drives. Do not get me wrong. I am keeping my GT2 and I will drive it, but not as much as I used to. It is starting to hurt a bit at the end of the drives.

I certainly get the objective parts of the passionate/sports driving.

wthensler and Shadowfax like this.
  24. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    No. Maybe we did in C&C Irvine early to mid 2010s, if you went there. I try to stay out of LA. Not a fan. No offense. I live off, way off the city grid.

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I think its more of a horses for course thing there to which is the better suited car for each individual and, in what type of driving situation that thinking can apply etc. I was just being more specific to tight mountain roads and which is the more likely to come out on top smiling. On the 997gt2 for sure that clutch pedal is a killer. My friend in it was a very serious driver and very stoic where that clutch pedal was concerned. I have no idea how he managed it for as long as he did. My other friend in the 991gt3 had the paddle shift pdk so didn't have any left leg issues lol - but also a very good steerer not looking to take any prisoners. I think me rocking up in the 991tts was like throwing down the gauntlet lol and I wasn't expecting the competition to be so stiff. So much for the tts being the easier and better suited ride lol. Boy was I mistaken. This is also where weight becomes a cars Achilles heel too. You can have all the power and awd grip but sooner or later the tyres start saying no. There is no substitute for light weight and, having a really well honed instrument.

GT2goneF likes this.