Anyone here take Corso Polita courses? | FerrariChat

Anyone here take Corso Polita courses?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wthensler, Dec 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Haven’t taken a driver education course since high school, and thought about maybe taking the introductory Corso Pilota sport course.

I consider myself a fairly skilled driver with skills honed on twisty mountain roads (aka, hillbilly) but lack the formal training and theory of the why’s and how’s. Also, I believe firmly that the learning process shouldn’t stop until the heart stops beating.

I doubt I’ll track the 458 or F8 much if at all (I tend to buy spiders), just wondering if anyone’s taken these courses and can opine as to the usefulness and suitability..........

AD211 likes this.
  2. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    A number of threads on this. It is pilota if you search and not polita. Here’s one thread. Also not sure if any are offered now with covid
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/pilota-course.553638/

wthensler likes this.
  3. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I took the M course at Thermal. Very decent and fun. Thinking about going through the Porsche Driving School. But now... Not sure...

wthensler likes this.
  4. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Taking all four classes changed my life. After the first class I bought a 458 Challenge. Sometime within the next year or so the FXX. You meet good people in class and the coaches and the support staff. Friends I have now had for five or six years. Oh yeah, you also learn how to more safely and more quickly drive a Ferrari.

5. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    The best thing you can do as a car enthusiast. While I haven’t done the Ferrari schools...I went through all 3 Porsche schools and then have been track driving and and instructing since 2006. Do,it...you will get a lot out of it even for street driving

Caeruleus11, GT2goneF and wthensler like this.
  6. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Thanks, all. Going to sign up for the Sport Course in December next year. A lot can change (hopefully all for the better) and I can bring my F8 if it is in my possession by then, or otherwise bring the 458.

What got me thinking about this course was the fall extravaganza in the 458 in the Appalachian Mtns, including the very intense Tail of the Dragon. I hammered it as hard as I dare, and thought how cool it would’ve been to have an instructor there with me for the ride. I was actually drained after 11 miles of very difficult curves and abrupt grade changes.

I’m viewing this as both fun and a bit of a challenge for myself. Hell, I cycled 8,500 miles this year - a two day course in a Ferrari should be a blast!

mdrums, Napoli and GT2goneF like this.
  7. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    Had a great time in Pilota. Got me interested in Challenge racing. Bought a Challenge and did some racing. Never imagined it. It is great training for racing. Great people. An incredible experience. And it started with Pilota. Even without going down that route, great for improving car control skills.

Caeruleus11 and wthensler like this.
  8. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    They will provide an F8 for track use in the Sport Course.

Caeruleus11 and wthensler like this.
  9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Did it at COTA. Great experience. Incredibly accomplished drivers/instructors take you through skill-improving drills (like timed slalom, exact braking exercises, wet figure 8 skid pad for controlled drifting), class time for theory, and track time.
    Food and lodging is also first class.
    They provide cars.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    I just finished up the last 2 of the 4 corso pilota courses at Daytona in November. I have done multiple schools from BMW and Porsche and there really is no comparison to the quality of the experience with the Ferrari schools. As with everything Ferrari, they are not inexpensive, but they do a first class job with accommodations, food, and, most importantly, the track experience. I agree with the others on the skills and confidence you will gain. It wouldn’t have been possible for me to imagine how much I would improve by the end of the Challenge school...and I considered myself a relatively skilled driver. There is really nothing better than a couple of days with professional, one-on-one instruction from highly accomplished and skilled Ferrari pro drivers. The only warning is that you will want a Challenge car somewhere along the way! Highly recommended and didn’t mean to sound like a Ferrari advertisement, but I was impressed.

x z8, GT2goneF, gzachary and 2 others like this.
  11. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA

Completely agree. Had an absolutely blast at Thermal this last October. I literally cannot wait to go back and do the next course. Based on the comments above, I believe I even had the opportunity to have a great conversation with the poster (Twosherpaz). Highly recommended and if you can do the first two courses back to back. You’ll already know the track then.

GT2goneF and Twosherpaz like this.
  12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Two summers ago, I did the one at Road Atlanta. I fully intend to continue the journey, and complete the remaining three. It was a blast, and the instruction and instructors are top flight. I learned a ton. It was incredibly helpful to get one on one instruction. You even get a jump drive with all the videos and analytics of your various track runs. I was impressed by just how much seat time we received. It was shocking to see how much consumables they went through. I seem to recall tires were replaced at lunch time, and brake pads were replaced overnight. Also, safety was paramount, with tire pressures checked after every run.

GT2goneF and wthensler like this.
  13. MarkTodd

MarkTodd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I took all four Corso Pilota courses in Italy and would highly recommend it. Something very special in pushing yourself to your limit around Fiorano!

GT2goneF, Scudmsl and Thecadster like this.
  14. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Hi,
    My I ask how you got the FXX? You bought new or used? If new, did you have a long list of past Ferraris in your name?

15. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Click on his name and look at some of his messages. He has posted a few pictures of his garage and his cars. Better than a museum.

GT2goneF, Twosherpaz and Thecadster like this.
  16. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Used. My dealer found it for me. I was nobody in Ferrari land when these originally came out.

GT2goneF and gowthamn like this.
  17. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Exactly this ! I did COTA too and the instructors were great and I really enjoyed meeting cool people with the same passione. I also fell in love with Rosso Fuoco that day.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

GT2goneF and italiafan like this.
  18. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    You have the car with yourself or is it with Ferrari? On track days does Ferrari help you?

19. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    We must have been there together...

Thecadster likes this.
  20. Steveinfl

Steveinfl Karting

May 14, 2016
    Hilton Head SC and Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    Does anyone have the right link for the courses offered in the US? A google search yields sort of confusing results and pages, information etc. that doesn't seem to be up to date.

21. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    GT2goneF and Steveinfl like this.
  22. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
  23. Steveinfl

Steveinfl Karting

May 14, 2016
    Hilton Head SC and Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    Thanks!

24. Woj

Woj Rookie

Nov 8, 2018
    Might anybody know the difference between Modena courses for €8500 vs US for $15,300? No doubt it is somewhere else on this forum, but I could not find. They both appear to be 2-day training.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Probably just a foreign exchange rate difference