365 GTB/4 s/n 14635 on Bring a Trailer | FerrariChat

365 GTB/4 s/n 14635 on Bring a Trailer

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by 375+, Dec 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    readplays likes this.
  2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Nice looking driver Daytona. I agree about the color. Daytonas on BaT seem to go in a very tight range- I don't think one has ever cracked $500k. So probably 400-450 for this car.

Unless, as with any auction, there are two bidders who really want it... but this one doesn't seem that special.

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ... or “as with any auction”, only one bidder “who really wants it” is required.
    Auctioneers trusty chandeliers and/or shills will always be around and ready to accommodate that desire.

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Friendly bids will get it close to reserve. If they get near to reserve at the close the auctioneer can hammer it Sold and eat some of the buyers commission. A narrow 5,000 window(except for white glove listings) on BAT.

5. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've seen lots of auction on BaT go fairly close to the reserve (according to the sellers) and not make it over the top. I continue to believe you need two real buyers most of the time, on BaT. Live auctions, sure.

This car only made it to $460k in August at Gooding, with all the benefits of live auction, chandeliers, etc. I don't see it going higher than that on BaT... although if it only makes, say, $430k (which is entirely reasonable), the buyer might clear almost as much as if it had sold at Gooding.

BaT must know by now not to set a Daytona reserve above $500k, although maybe it's worth it for the additional views, I don't know.

375+ and Daytonafan like this.
  6. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Well, Gooding charges buyers a premium of close to $50k on a $460k hammer, so if the bid in August was real, then the buyer would have the same “out of pocket” if they went to $505k on BaT (or there abouts).

Of course, even a real buyer at Gooding, might not be willing to pay the same amount over BaT; if for no other reason than the fact that via Gooding one is more-or-less guaranteed a drama-less ownership transfer.

To me, this is a pretty nice car; clearly whoever worked on it cared that things be relatively correct.

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Looks like a clean honest car.
    Not a fan of black on Daytonas.

The original color is close to gold?

8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No.
    It is Rame Metallizzato 106-R-49 Salchi.
    That's copper.
    Like the Harrah Hot Rod Daytona #14169.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Marcel were all of the modifications done either at Modern Classic Motors or at the museum restoration shop?

10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Done by Francisco Mir's Service & Diagnosis Center in Santa Monica/CA.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and 375+ like this.
  11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That Rame Metallizzato color is absolutely stunning! It is funny, if you read some of the included documentation, there is a letter or email discussing when Ferrari of Beverly Hills decided to do the color change to a "more acceptable" black. I someone puts it back to original some day.

of2worlds, NYC Fred and Daytonafan like this.
  12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Any known attempts or plans to restore her back to "as built" (by factory) configuration ?
    Just curious.

13. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    sometime around 2003, i inquired about the harrah hot rod as it was for sale. was told it had front end damage and was previously restored with the european plexinose configuration.
    at the time i called it was recently restored back to the pop up lights.
    apparently getting pop up lights was difficult so some cars were tepaired with the available plexinose parts.

14. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    This is why I always suspect that plexi-nose spyder conversions on late chassis were converted because of a bad shunt...

Even if the parts were not hard to get, there is just less to do if you put it back as a plexi; assuming of course that that you want to rebuild the nose “for some odd reason”... :)

15. ChrisGA

ChrisGA Rookie

Dec 22, 2019
    St. Petersburg
    Full Name:
    Chris Anderson
    I have been bidding on this auction, currently the lead bidder. The idea of a nice car that you can drive with fewer worries is appealing . I agree that the likely completion costs will be $200k+

I wish us both the best of luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

SCantera, ag512bbi and 375+ like this.
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Welcome to FerrariChat!

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    would be great if you could introduce yourself a little and fill out your profile please. this will help you and also the community here ;)

18. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    @ChrisGA, $200k will get you a nice driver. $75k engine rebuild, $75k for paint, $20k for interior. but can you or will you stop there?
    you may be at $300-400k by the time you get it the way you want it. and the more expensive restoration will be the better “investment” especially if you collect a few platinum awards along the way.

turbo-joe likes this.
  19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    $ 75 K for paint? No way. Gimme a break. Half of that is more normal. Even in Switzerland which is one of the most expensive places on the planet.
    No need for a paint job by Junior's House of Colors.

Marcel Massini

20. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Marcel
    $75k is the going rate in Calif. ask Brian Hoygt(sp?).
    as you know Brian has painted many a Cavallino Classics Ferraris.
    $10-15k for chrome.

21. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Brandoli in Italy wants 10 K for chrome.
    I am aware of the prices in CA and Brian is a friend since years.
    For a bread-and-butter Daytona 75 K $ for paint would be insane.

Marcel Massini

srslusso, V12addict and turbo-joe like this.
  22. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm sure the environmental and regulatory costs in California are insane! I'm impressed that they can even paint a car there.

23. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You are thinking of spending $200k on the running, driving Daytona? That's how much I was thinking of spending on the PF Coupe project!

If I bought that Daytona, I would probably just leave it alone and drive it. I'm sure it has some needs-- all used cars do-- but no reason not to use it as-is. But that's just me.

24. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I was more surprised by the chrome...although, they might send it to the mid-west somewhere. My guy in PDX stopped doing chrome more than ten years ago.

25. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I certainly agree that $75k for paint is crazy.

At the same time, most shops in the US do seem to be "asylums"... :)

When I as actually shopping for a car, I looked at more than one that needed paint, and pretty much every shop with a good reputation told me to plan for $100k before I got the car back; made me decide that I was not willing to buy a car that needed a paint job.

I think there are two issues at play. The first is that most shops seem to assume that it is never just paint, so that $100k includes stripping to bare metal, some substantive rust repair, chrome, new rubber, and replacement of various bits and pieces that get broken during the stripping of the car. The second is that the shops basically don't want to take on a "just paint" car; if they are going to bother getting involved with a paint project they want to get a big payoff out of it, so it is a "Junior House of Colors" approach to things, or "it's not worth doing"; there seems to be no in between that I could find.

Story is probably different for guys that have some other 100-point project at a shop; I would have to think that really good customers get a little more consideration. But for "walk-ins off the street" like me, it was "show me $100k, or take it somewhere else".

Now 14635 might well be a case where there are no horrors under the current paint, and the compression numbers don't give the impression that it would need an engine rebuild in the near future. I'm not even sure why one would do much to the interior. So to me, $200k sounds like rather a lot to budget for work on that particular car.