430 Gearbox Noise? | FerrariChat

430 Gearbox Noise?

Discussion in '360/430' started by LouB, Sep 27, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    At low speeds I am hearing a lot of gear noise from my 430 F1 I never heard before on my 360 F1. Dealer said its normal for a 430 and the 360 didn't have it. ???? Can't tell at high speed due to the noise. Anyone hear the same???

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Yea, at slow speed a little gear linking noise. It's good to know that it is no big deal.

3. Flex

Flex Karting

Aug 23, 2005
    Dubai
    same here, specially when shifting between 1st to 2nd gear

4. M39976

M39976 Rookie

Aug 20, 2004
    Grand Haven
    Mine jerks and shakes hard when I downshift from 2nd to 1st at low speeds. It feels like the clutch is going in and out.

5. Flex

Flex Karting

Aug 23, 2005
    Dubai
    all cars does this if you try and downshift from 2nd to 1st!!! even if it was a 6 speed manual car
    i think its wrong to do it, just downshift on higher gears but leave the downshift 2nd to 1st automatic

jag-oo-r, dweintra and Aeron Fout like this.
  6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I agree. If you're slowing for a stop light for example, I just let the car do the work.

7. M39976

M39976 Rookie

Aug 20, 2004
    Grand Haven
    It's not slowing for a stop when it happens, it's slowing for a turn. Will it still downshift for me in this case?
    I never had this happen on my 360.

8. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

No. What's the manual tell you? ;)

9. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Mine has 900 miles on it and does all sorts of noises. Service engineer told me it's very normal, just start getting used to them.

10. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Mine makes noises at low speeds. Most noticeable in parking lots and mine is a stick shift. 6400 miles now and no change, so I figure it's normal and probably comes from the E-diff clutches.

Dave

11. Flex

Flex Karting

Aug 23, 2005
    Dubai
    yes it will

12. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    Agree all the comments mine with 13000 on it sounds like a washing machine with scrap metal in it and I wanted to replace the clutch and my mechanic said that I would be disappointed with any improvement. So I guess I just ignore it!!!!

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Buy a louder exhaust , that will fix it- or turn the radio up

14. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Unless you are going into a hairpin on a race track, no need to shift down to first for a corner. My old 360 F1 didn't do this shift particularly smoothly or quietly either. I would pop it into neutral before it happened when coming to a stop.

15. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mine sounds like gear lash noise when at low rpms in low gear say in a parking garage same in 2nd low rpm. Asked previous long term owner he said it had always done so . “Rocks in a washing machine” great description. Had my car dealer serviced. They commented nothing out of the ordinary.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app