Sectional Garage Door Brand/Fitter - Recommendations? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sectional Garage Door Brand/Fitter - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Richard Browne, Oct 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I had a similar problem to the OP as in it was a bit of a tight squeeze getting the car into the garage without caching it on the door mechanism. Also, the door would block the light when the door was up, Ikept catching my head on the mechanisms and it was draughty both at the top and bottom allowing leaves and debris to blow under the door.

I went through Crocodile (the one one the TV and I absolutely love it. Only regret is that I didn't do it years ago especially now that I have a radiator in there which makes just like another room in the house. The only possible thing I can think of as a downside is that when the weather was bad and I wanted to do some work on a car outside I would stop the canopy half way then drive the car partway under as a impromptu canopy. Small price to pay though.

Crocodile made a really nice job of fitting and went above and beyond taking a morning by 2 men to do. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself after seeing it done.

The only negative thing I would say about crocodile is the sales process is very "double glazing" with discounts for signing up today, I have to ring my manager, I'll do you a deal but were not making any money on it etc etc. I'd done my research beforehand and everyone seemed to be coming back about £2,200 because of teh width plus I wanted in a golden oak to match teh rest of the house. They started off at £5k and get knocking a bit off hera and there until I just said point blank I can get it for £2,200 elsewhere - match the price and the jobs yours bit thats the limit. Salesman went off in disgust but sure enough a day or so later the office rang and said they would match teh price as they "were in the area" LOL

Top 5 pics are the new one - bottom 5 show the old ones and all the framework inside which gets in teh way

Attached Files:

Richard Browne likes this.
  2. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I saved the above but cant move pics around :-(

You can see how the old door really cut the light inside plus there's all sorts of framework if you include the door closer as well which is all gone now. Would never have an up and over door again. Th eother benefit is you can park cars right up to the door if you wish and you don't have to worry if someone is in the way if you open the door as it goes straight up.

3. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    Thank you, looks like it made a massive difference for you. The only reason I can think of why up/over doors are still used on new builds is cost saving.

4. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    To Bump this thread and to ask an additional point....
    Have pretty much decided on the Hormann of garage door and note in my area that the company 'Bristol Garage Doors' are the closest....Does anyone on here have experience of using this company or can anyone recommend a company for fitting Hormann garage doors please?

5. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    No experience of them, I used a different Bristol company; they had good reviews as well but the kids that turned up to fit where a bunch of idiots so there is no telling one times.

you might try on scc on Facebook or queens square car club.

just make sure you are in when they fit it, and check everything in day light before you pay any balance.

6. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    Thanks. Was your installation okay in the end? What did you go for?

I'll get a quote from Bristol Garage Doors and will drop by their showroom and if going with them will let them know what I expect from their installation. I'll defo be in when they fit it and being fastidious will ensure all is as it should be before parting with the balance.

7. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Roller doors; only way to go in my view. Got them from Up and Over in Bristol.

Other than dropping screws over my gravel drive; they put a scratch down the entire length of the inside of one of the doors; they were being lazy taking it out of the box!!. Said they could fix it by touching it up...with a rattle can. That obviously didn’t work so they had to put a new door in. Give them their due they put it right; but I had to be fairly insistent.

All that said 4 years on they are fine; touch wood.

8. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    Screws on the driveway...Hmmmm...I can see why that would be a wind up!
    What make is your rollup door please?

I considered a rollup variation but from research they would seem to be noisier, are not so well insulated due to being thinner and having gaps between slats and commonly not as secure.

9. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The one I have is definitely quieter, is double insulated and when it closes in the upright position all the slats press together so thete is zero gap. A locking mechanism also kicks into place that stops it being lifted with a shovek for example. Also, it has a buolt in alarm if somepnes attempts to that.

Since fitting mine I was having a new boiler fitted so I had it relocated in the garage along with a radiator fitted - see pic below on back wall. I have a hive system so added a hive controlled wireless thermostat fitte dto the radiator so my garage is kept at a constant 20C - never got over the nice surprise when I go into the garage on cold days like today and its as if your still inside the house - very cosy! :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

xBox, Richard Browne and wax like this.
  10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Slats are insulated and you can choose different thicknesses depending on how much insulation you want. You certainly don’t need much in the UK. No gaps between the slats.

Certainly not noisy; just an electric motor in a tube!!!

As to secure, depends what you are looking for! It has an anti tamper proof alarm built it. Only two ways to open it without the remote is via the manual winder inside which would take about 2 hours or to drive a car through them; which I’d probably hear and I’d we were out, cars and garage are insured!!

As to the make, sorry I can’t remember but from memory the rollers, motors and electronic remote/sensors are all supplied and the people installing just mix and match them together.

11. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    Try Rob at Garage concepts - he does a lot of this stuff inc garage conversions and man caves.

12. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    I had my door installed the week before Christmas and very pleased with it.

- Thick industrial quality fittings, due to the width and weight

- Just under 30-sec to open/close and near silent

- Slats stack and lock together nicely when closed

Only small con is the draft gap along the top edge, which will be more difficult to seal than with a sectional. Pro is added ventilation, which is keeping any condensation at bay.

Some pics:

13. jimmyc

jimmyc Rookie

Oct 3, 2005
    Netherlands
    Just had a Hormann sectional door fitted last week. The website will point you to a recommended fitter. They have a 10 year warranty. I also had a faster motor and bluetooth options to use my phone to open it. Cost was about 3k fitter including removing and disposing of the old one.