360 - Intermittent mometary flash of trans light (?) | FerrariChat

360 Intermittent mometary flash of trans light (?)

Discussion in '360/430' started by KC360 FL, Dec 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I've caught a glimpse of the trans waning light flashing on for a millisecond or two when driving my 360 F1.
    It happens so fast I almost miss it (and I'm sure I do when pushing my shifts close to the red line). It happens when the car is "cold" and when it is up to temperature. I never drive the car hard until the operating temps are up to spec.

I drive the car pretty regularly so I don't believe it's an issue caused by the car "sitting around" unused.

The clutch was replaced at 21K miles and I have only put about 5K miles on it. Plus I'm pretty aware and I drive the car so as not to abuse the clutch on take off. I stay tuned into it. It shifts great and I do not notice anything feeling different with the shifting.

I checked the F1 fluid and while only a little low, I brought it up on the stick almost to the upper mark.

I can't stress enough that this is very intermittent. Not always upon upshifts at revs or RPMs under 4K. Not always at downshifts-- not always on the upshifts. It will do it sometimes as I coast to a stop as the F1 does it's own thing to downshift as I come to the stop.

Any Ideas? Just a glitch? Seemed like it was less yesterday when I topped off the F1 fluid and took the car out for a decent drive. But still quite random and only a very, very quick flash and then it's gone.

2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Get a scan tool to read the TCU and see if there are any stored/missed codes.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

flash32 likes this.
  3. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#3 24000rpm, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    from my understanding, it is the aging of some component among the whole f1 system not holding up pressure.
    There should be no fault code in the TCU.
    if one or multiple shifts "uses" a greater amount of pressure than normal, this light will briefly light up for 1 second.

try this: drive up to 50mph, 5th gear. Brake, and at the same time downshift 3 times in succession---- time interval for your finger to hit the paddle to be slow enough not to skip any gear. Meaning, you need to make "5" "4" "3" gears shown on the dash. Make these shifts as quickly as possible.

if each time at the end of the 3rd gear you see a gearbox error light flash, that's what Im describing.

4. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Thanks for the tip. I will try it. I did drive the car yesterday for a fair bit and kept a close eye on the "shift icon" warning light on the dash. Nothing yesterday. When driving the car to operating temp I shifted at 3500 to 4000 up to 4th gear. When the engine was up to temp I ran up the revs to 7500 -8000 and shifted at about 4500 or 5000 RPMs between gears up to 5th gear. Also while I seldom downshift when coming to a stop (usually pull both paddles and coast to a stop), I did that yesterday: 4th, 3rd, and then down to 2nd. In one instance when coming to a stoplight I even just applied the brakes when coming to a stop and let the F1 system do it's thing by downshifting itself to 1st at a stop. All this and not any flashing shift icon warning light. I guess you could say I was trying everything to make that damn light flash ;)

I will try what you suggest, thanks. But to add, I once last year while bringing the 360 into the garage had the RPMs slowly but continually rise while coasting into my spot. Quite weird and puzzling. I shut the car off and it has never done that again. Forgive me but I sometimes just pass these things off as silly glitches. In my years I have had a few high end sports cars that have done some unexpected nonsense that happened once and never again after owning the car for years afterwards. But to be sure if this reoccurs I will be checking things...

Thanks again, regards, Ken

5. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    Does it happen between shifts or randomly?

I had intermittent flash before as well. One time was loose connector of the F1 sensor behind the passenger seat. Other time it was the rear decklid needed to be re closed.

6. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Not sure now. It seemed to have stopped. But it could have been the rear deck lid. It has given me problems with the "deck lid open" warning light at times. Have had the car out a couple of times since the issue. Not happening anymore. But thanks for the tip. If it happens again, I may just try opening and re-closing the deck lid. ;)