Fuel Injection for 330GT V-12? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fuel Injection for 330GT V-12?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Polpot, Dec 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I have found that in my market, south east US. The carb cars all benefit from some tuning adjustments and changes to jets and air bleeds. I find that the fuel of today just doesn't run well with the jets, air bleeds and setting of the 60s & 70s. Carbs don't know what is going through them. You have to adjust for that. Once they are well tuned and with good ignition, they perform very well.
    I do have a customer with an electronic fuel injected 308 and I have tuned that as well and it is much easier to tune and adjust.
    Find someone that REALLY knows what they are doing and let them straighten it out.

2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I love your 330 GTC - if you ever decide to do a cross country - and need a co-pilot! love to!!!! I had a chance on a 330 GTC back in 1998, Ferrari of Atlanta had a silver / Blue interior for $58K... and I could not convince my wife to buy it!!!!

3. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    The composition of the fuel has changed over the last several decades due to EPA mandates. These mandates that affect tuning include the reduction of aromatics (toluene,-xylenes, etc) and the increased use of oxygenates (alcohols/ethers). Carbureted engines need to be richened up from OEM specs to run properly on the gasolines of today.

Ferrari Tech likes this.
  4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    MMMMMM Toluene... love the smell of Toluene... back in the 80's when F-1 used to run Turbo's they had all kinds of exotic fuel's - most of them were 60-70% toluene... and it was the best smell - before and after it was burnt in the engine... When they were fueling the cars in the pits = that was about the only time you could not enter the pits... no smoking which was super rare back then.... but when they would crack open the curns of fuel ... I loved that smell.

5. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Daytonaman your mounting position for the pumps and filter seems different than what I recall on my Daytona. I would question the routing of the hose from the pump to the filter which is curved on your car. That would not be done.

6. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    The photo might not be the correct orientation. The 2 Bendix pumps might be mounted horizontally. I don't know if this is the original configuration, but I doubt if Ferrari would have gotten it wrong.

7. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    quite right.
    Photo is 246
    also note the clutch cable

wmuno likes this.
  8. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    That is correct.

9. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Can be done. Huge job and $
    Really its not worth it for a 330 which are beautiful cars as is.
    Photo my car, but not my work. 12 throttle bodies Haltec injection.
    makes 378 hp rear wheel
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

RayJohns likes this.
  10. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    That looks like a 400 engine. Very nice job though.

11. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Hey Wade or JCR do either of you know are the fuels used today running/burning cooler now? Also are the fuels that are marketed as non ethanol the same formula as the old fuels before the ethanol days?

12. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I am not a chemist so i don't know about the formula for today's gas, but I can only guess it is far from the gas of yesteryear, ethanol free as well. The lead in old can is never coming back and I don't think the fuel before ethanol was that great anyway. In the late 70s, they had fuel. But no more.
    I haven't seen any evidence that the ethanol fuels run cooler. However, I have raced many alcohol fuel race cars that were street engines converted and they definitely run a lot cooler. I can only imagine that the 10-15 % runs some cooler.

Llenroc likes this.
  13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Be careful what you wish for. In a lot of respects, carbs are just as good or better than EFI from many perspectives. Also, keep in mind that often times for an EFI system to function properly, you need a camshaft with less duration overlap - so just slapping on fuel injection may not be the solution to all your problems and/or could create further issues in terms of not having enough manifold vacuum, etc. if you aren't also planning to adjust cam grind.

Myself, I'm actually thinking about ditching the EFI on my Toyota motor and running carbs instead lol :) That's how much I love my EFI system...

I suspect (as others have mentioned), the issue probably revolves more around fuel delivery and/or car tuning. Perhaps the carbs need cleaning and/or adjusting. Myself, I've run motors with multi side draft cars (I personally prefer Mikuni over Weber though) and once you jet them and sync them, it's darn near as good as fuel injection in many regards. I have run side draft cars on draw through turbo setups which performed as well and as reliably as any EFI system.

I think someone else mentioned electronic ignition. My vote would be to look into some sort of crank fire or pointless system - if there is a conversion out there for that. You are probably going to get a lot more bang for your buck by going to some sort of electronic pointless and/or crank fire type system than going through all the headaches of converting from carbs to EFI. Like I say, I have gone all through the EFI system on my Toyota and it's a major hassle. I'm about ready to throw it out and install side drafts...

Just my 2 cents on the subject :)

Ray

14. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    E-85 does definitely run cooler than gasoline measured by EGT. As for the newer gasolines I can't answer that.

No, the formula has changed. If we compare a gallon of Regular Unleaded from 1975 to the same from today, the percentage of aromatics (toluene, -xylines, etc.) is less in the modern gasoline. These aromatics are VOCs. These EPA regulations requiring reductions in VOCs started in the USA first and have spread to other parts of the world.

Think of the changes in automotive paint. Very difficult to get nitrocellulose lacquers, acrylic lacquers, and others kinds of paint and thinners because of the VOC regs. Some of these products are banned in California and other states. Hence the move to water based paints.

This is a good article on gasolines https://koblents.com/Ches/Misc.-and-Humor/217-Idaho-Corvette-Page--Fuel/

This is the most current USA fuel map I could find. https://www.api.org/-/media/Files/Policy/Fuels-and-Renewables/2016-Oct-RFS/US-Fuel-Requirements/US-Gasoline-Requirements-Map.pdf

Ferrari Tech and Llenroc like this.
  15. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    E-85 is not consistent thru out the year and changing seasons. In the colder months the amount of ethanol in E-85 is reduced. Also ethanol needs a richer mixture to equal the performance of gasoline. 14.7 air to fuel for gasoline, somewhere around 9 air to fuel for for alcohol.