2016 California T Back Up Camera & 4K front view dash cam installation | FerrariChat

2016 California T Back Up Camera & 4K front view dash cam installation

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by whatheheck, Dec 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Situation:

My car did not come with back up camera. This is a safety issue for me as last thing I want is to damage my rear bumper backing up as I was not able to see objects behind me, or worse yet injure a small child as I didn’t see them while I was backing up. So here you go for sharing.

I’ve done extensive research, trial & errors. Had wireless back up camera before this but I hated the video lag and inconsistent video connection. Video quality of wireless is also not that good & very choppy. So I decided to go with hard wire connection which in my opinion is the best and most reliable connection.

I didn’t want to replace my stock head unit as Im still under New Power Warranty & Im happy with the sound quality of the HiFi High Power JBL Stereo option especially after I upgraded the speakers to Audison speakers. So a stand alone back up camera with built in front dash cam is the best solution for my situation.

(I have removed my separate 4K dashcam.)

Installed this on my 2016 California T - TOGUARD Rear View Mirror that has built in 4K front dashcam and comes with 1080p rear view camera.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08L361H4T/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_QuL1FbQJAQ3D0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The rear view mirror is a video monitor, when no video signal is fed it defaults to a normal rear view mirror.
    Both cameras are always powered on and the mirror can display both live feed at the same time via split screen mode or single video feed mode..

It’s a wider (12”) rear view mirror that attaches in front of existing rear view mirror, 4K front view dashcam and has one input for a 1080p back up camera. I wished it had dual video inputs so I can also install a front bumper parking camera. Oh well…. So I installed a WiFi front bumper camera. Done. (separate post)

Build quality is top notch, front view camera and back up camera video quality & audio quality is outstanding. Im super happy with it.

Red wire is attached to reverse light +12V power for automatic trigger of video signal feed to the rear view mirror with parking guidelines.

Reverse light +12V power on the California T is pin 1 of upper tail light assembly connector. Wire color is Gray with Black stripe.

Instead of the cigarette lighter power adapter that came with the kit I hardwired mine using a 12V to 5VDC 3A power adapter: : https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B081NCXB2M/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_KGL1Fb7T26NSK

Took me 4 days to fully install, taking my sweet time to ensure quality & safe installation.

For a solid attachment to rear view mirror I added a strip of 3M double back outdoor tape to the mirror
    attachment mounts.

Normal mode is rear view mirror, tap the mirror glass and the mirror becomes monitor for the back up camera and front view camera. Can also do split screen.

Back up camera cable is too short. I had to buy an extension cable.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B077ZSL395/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Photos and 1 minute sample video below.

Hope this helps some of you.

Dan

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    looks very cool. adds 10 years technology bonus at least.

any chance to record more videos in action?

3. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    As much excited as i am for new tech, had to come to the sad realization that my Cali T battery will never be able to deal with it.

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Sample recorded video is on post number 1.

Here it is again:

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I dont understand your concern, please explain further.

6. Raj seth

Raj seth Karting

Sep 24, 2020
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Raj seth
    Thx - just bought a ‘16 . Only option I think I’d miss is camera. And handling package:)

Not sure re huge mirror but nice to be aware decent options. I’d rather have lower res through sat nav screen if....
    Thank you.
    R

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    This dashcam / rear camera only draws 2 amps at 5 volts. Our battery has capacity of over 700 amps.
    Power is connected via switched / accessory 12V power so it will not drain the battery when the engine is not running.
    Summary: No issues with power draw.

8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You can have the dealer or a reputable indi shop retrofit front & rear cameras to the OE head unit but the price for parts and labor is outrageous & based on what I read here reliability of the cameras is not very good.

Ferrari does offer camera kit. See attached.

This is temporary solution for me / better than nothing.

Once my 2 year New Power Warranty expires I plan on replacing the Head Unit with a high end Pioneer or Sony head unit. Im now pre wired for back up camera & front view camera so upgrade & hook up later will be much easier.

There are some posts here that our head unit on Cali T is basically the same as what they install on Chrysler minivans................Audio quality & screen video quality is just OK.

Attached Files:

9. Gadgetplayer

Gadgetplayer Rookie

Nov 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Louis
    This is exactly what I need. My concern is keeping the stock look and feel. How did you get the power to the video display unit? Can the cables be hidden and how do you get the wires from the 12V source? Re the camera placement, could you provide more pictures as well. My questions would be the same re the placement of the camera and the cable routing to ensure it doesn't look like an after market item. Thanks for the information.

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Louis,

Yes, all wires are hidden, everything is neatly tucked, out of sight and out of the way.
    The rear camera is installed to the left of the trunk switch as trunk switch is right at dead center of the trunk. I used 3M double back tape so no need to drill holes.

I will create a DIY write up with photos soon and post it here for sharing.

Dan

11. Gadgetplayer

Gadgetplayer Rookie

Nov 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Louis
    That will be much appreciated, thanks Dan.

12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here you go Louis, per your request, a complete DIY write up with cable routing photos, copy of workshop manual on how to remove all the required panels and some tips.

Please download and save all the attachments.

Hope that helps.

Dan

Attached Files:

DavidTree and Beach Boy like this.
  13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Looks like FChat has a maximum file size of 5mb for any attachments.

My photos are high resolution, 23 files and totals 17mb. Just kindly eMail me and I will eMail them all to you.

Thanks.

Dan

14. Gadgetplayer

Gadgetplayer Rookie

Nov 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Louis
    Wow - thank you so much Dan!! Much appreciated. My email is [email protected].

whatheheck likes this.
  15. Raj seth

Raj seth Karting

Sep 24, 2020
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Raj seth
    If you don’t mind could you also send me the photo s of the install. Thx
    [email protected]

16. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner