F430 lost power after fill up | FerrariChat

F430 lost power after fill up

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mattnshilp, Dec 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Hi. I’m sure that this is a Newb question. But I was driving my beautiful yellow F430 with not a problem and then I stopped to fill it up.

When I restarted the car it had no power; I could instantly tell there was something wrong. Like It took a 30 seconds to get to 40mph. And after 5 minutes the “Slow Down” light kicked on.

I checked and the gas cap was properly seated.

I drove straight home because I was worried it would stall somewhere inconvenient and I was afraid to restart the car for worry it wouldn’t restart.

When I got home, I turned it off. Let it sit for 5 minutes and restarted it. And it works perfectly fine again.

So, what did I do wrong?

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The first thing you did wrong was not check the trouble codes with your OBDII reader. That would give you an indication as to the issue. I suggest doing that now. If you don't have an OBDII code reader, then get one now. I suggest the Autel AP200 as it's inexpensive and has the F430 as a supported car. Once you have that, post the code report.

armedferret likes this.
  3. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    Hello!

You did not do anything wrong. However, I would say that this may be an indication that something IS going wrong. I have had this problem a few times in the past and temporarily solved it the way you did, turning it off and starting it again until, eventually, it just would not start again. In my case, it was the hydraulic pump motor that eventually failed. I replaced the motor and haven't had a problem since.

So, the practical thing to do would be to take it in for service and see if they can diagnose anything, most likely by reading the diagnostic ECU codes OR if you have an ECU reader, diagnosing it yourself. The impractical route, the one I took, would be to make sure you have AAA or respected flat bed tow truck driver's number in your pocket for when the failing system finally fails.

Best of luck!

Daryl

4. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    This sounds a bit like you were running on just 4 cylinders. It happened to me once and a restart solved the problem. For me, it seemed to happen when I restarted too fast or didn't hold the starter button long enough (just guesses). There are other threads on the issue around here:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f430-rough-running.198499/

Agreed a code reader is what you need.

RANDY6005 and flash32 like this.
  5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Most likely you didn't wait for "ok" when you started and ran on 4 cylinders ..common in the f430 ..not enough time for a ecu to wake up .. definitely pull codes as well to see something more serious

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

ditpixs likes this.
  6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    When you turn the key it needs a bit of time for everything to talk to each other, wait for the ok before you start it up, when you get used to it you will hear the different tone on one bank.

7. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    Key in, “check ok”, start, let idle until the check engine light illumination has vanished and the self check is complete.

If you did all that, sounds like it could be still running on 4 cylinders or reduced power. Could be a faulty thermocouple or cat over temp. You would get a slow down light with that. Check codes and report back.

Qavion likes this.
  8. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    My thought same thing happen to me ...

ditpixs likes this.
  9. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    It felt like I was running on 4 cylinders. Will get a code reader

ditpixs likes this.
  10. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Exactly the same happened to me after filling up on my first day driving home. Now I wait for the OK after key is on (as said above) and it's never happened again.

ditpixs and RANDY6005 like this.
  11. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yep, I had this happen to me twice. Both times, I didn't wait for the "Ok Check" before I started the car. The car was running on four cylinders but I was fortunate enough to not have any codes pop up, it just ran really roughly. Ill ecko everyone elses thoughts and advise you to get a code reader for sure. Good luck!

ditpixs likes this.
  12. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    So I was dead on. Total NEWB mistake. I hope that’s the last one. Any other newb mistakes to avoid? I learned about not leaving the drivers door open with the fuel pump.

I did have to drive it for like 10 miles to get home. Any chance I caused any kind of damage?

13. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I'd say the important thing to take away is that these cars aren't like production cars. Get to know how your car works. Understand the systems. They're not unlike aircraft in that regard. The more you know about the car, the less likely it is to surprise you.

Get a good OBDII code reader that can see all the ECU's in your car. Use it regularly. When you see a code, act on it before it acts on you.

14. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
    Please tell me more about this issue. I'm not sure what you mean. Thanks!

15. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    The drivers door is somehow connected to the fuel pump running. So I left my door open and burned out the relay to the pump.

16. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I think you mean the F1 pump. The fuel pump doesn't turn on when the door is opened.

Daryl Zernick and Qavion like this.
  17. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    Agree with most of the above. Wait for OK, make sure you hold the start button down long enough. Should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Oops. You are correct