Car theft!!! | FerrariChat

Car theft!!!

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Salami, Dec 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Now that i have your attention I’m just sitting around in winter and setting up tracking devices for some of my other vehicles. I live in a city and things are not improving in cities at the moment so I’m finally adding tracking devices in my utility trailer, and my pickup that I leave on the street sometimes. And it got me wondering what the theft potential is for our aged Ferrari’s? They don’t have a chip key right? So any screwdriver will take one away, (gasp). In my neighborhood the car thefts are mostly just people to lazy to use the bus to get somewhere so this would obviously be a different scope of theft, but does it really happen? I’d imagine so, since the parts are so valuable they would make good targets for chop jobs, which of course is the worst case scenario for us.
    Anyway there are some very appealing tracking solutions these days, basically the old spy movie style where they slap a magnetic device that’s the size of a pack of smokes on to a metal object and track it with a cool little screen? Ya that’s real now! And weatherproof and 5 year battery, service included.

F456M likes this.
  2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Ist solution is to move! The 550 has this incestuous immobilizer that prevents owners from using the car on occasion. Theives don't have a chance unless they tow the car away. Ferrari parts are not that valuable because the market is very small. You have some DIY guys for interior parts and then body shops who get in trouble for using stolen parts. Owners are fine with spending the cost of a new Honda accord for a Ferrari bumper tap and respray so getting a stolen fender isn't going to be of interest to the high end body shows we take our cars to. Likewise with mechanicals like engines. Who are you going to sell a stolen 550 engine to? That market is extremely small. A thief is way better off stealing a corvette.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ferraris are too high profile, so unless it is a pro with a customer, odds of one being stolen are pretty low. You can look at NHTSA's statistics to confirm. Besides which, our alarm systems sometimes make it hard for an owner to steal his own Ferrari.

Themaven likes this.
  4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I'd be more worried about somebody using a screwdriver to rip off the decklid emblem, scuderia shields, or some other souvenir.

Tape a sign in your window that says "PLEASE TAKE MY FERRARI -- IT IS OVERDUE FOR TIMING BELTS ANYWAY"

technom3, F456M and Il Tifoso like this.
  5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #5 308 GTB, Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020

Right...

:)

F456M likes this.
  6. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    One of the reasons I don’t get excited about new bond films is they no longer contain that scene which was mandatory where q would detail all the new gadgets. Why did they quit that? It was fun and a great way to foreshadow

ringle and F456M like this.
  7. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Exactly. Last Bond movie I saw was just a series of scenes with people shooting at each other, jumping through the air and sound effects. Very boring. You could miss a scene or two and come back without missing anything. Kinda like the new cars in a way. I must be getting old.

8. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Don’t forget that there is a generation out there that can’t drive a three pedal car.

So if you have a manual, you’ve already got an extra layer of security from the factory

9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hahha! To push in the inertia switch is a good way to give the guys a headace when they try to steal it. I agree on the Bond films... So much more class in the old films.

DZ-96 likes this.