355 - Superformance OE Style Wishbone Bushes!! (Photos Inside) | FerrariChat

355 Superformance OE Style Wishbone Bushes!! (Photos Inside)

Discussion in '348/355' started by AutoFanaticF355, Dec 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Ok few days ago i did a test to make sure I machined down my pushing and receiving cups perfectly. I am not pressing these in on the face i am pressing them on the outer shoulder lip as intended using a 35mm cup on one end and a 38mm on the other all machined to spec. My equipment uses a 12mm long rod for the smaller ones with thrust bearings and plates so this ensures the bushing and cups are in perfect alignment with the holes, for the rears same thing except its a 14mm rod and larger plates.

the bushes went in super easy but I notice on the 2 smaller ones i tested out on the front upper wishbone that they did not stick out on one receiving side. I thought for a moment maybe i messed up aligning the receiver cup so I ordered 2 more bushings that showed up today, cost me another $100. Pressed them in and the same thing is occurring. I continued on and got all the fronts done with no issues except those 2 which seem to still be an issue.

Now I moved onto the rear upper arms, those use the same bushes as the fronts the smaller style and all went well except 1, same deal the rubber by the shoulder looks fat and the casing will not stick out on one side.

I put those to the side and then worked on the lower rear wishbones which take the large bushing. out of 8 of these bushings only 3 went in properly. I then flipped out in frustration and realized I saved the original bushings. Put them in my hand and there is a HUGE tolerance difference with the large ones for the rear as shown in the photos on my bench.

No idea whats going on here because I have done bushings without a hitch for 30 years and this is driving me mad with all the equipment i have on hand. its also a ***** to do this without scratching the paint so every time i push one out its nerve wracking.

Have anyone experienced this with these replacement bushings from any vendor? It seems these are not manufactured right or they sent me the the wrong ones.

I also went to test fit some of the wishbones and now the OEM hardware appears not long enough to mount, it seems these Superformance bushings rubber has fattened and ballooned in manufacturing compared to the originals (see side by side pics) or they picked and sent me the wrong ones. I never and do not have the intentions to use non OEM hardware as I spent a fortune restoring all the nuts and bolts off the car.

For anyone who has tackled this please share your feedback here. this cost me a pretty penny for these bushings and I spent a good amount with Superformance in the last number of months hoping they will honor and make this right. If i could do it all over again I would have just done the Powerflex, save the headaches pressing in and out etc. but I can not eat the $850 i spent on these plus DHL to start over. I will phone them on Monday and see what they are willing to do, I want this right not botched up.

I have attached a bunch of photos so you can see whats going on. Any feedback or advice is appreciated. the photo of the two bushes on my table are the original after being pressed out and the Superformance after being pressed out. Either they sent the wrong ones or the outer shell is so cheaply made its collapsing in size as shown.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Just an observation.... What did the new Superperformance bushing look like as compared to the original you pushed out? Were they the same length prior to installation?

3. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I bought my bushings for my 348 from superperformance and used a vice and 2 sockets (35mm and 38mm) to push them into the wishbone:

NB Mine had a flat one each one - cant see that on yours???

https://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?45388-348-DIY-quot-Restoration-quot&p=817634#post817634

https://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?45388-348-DIY-quot-Restoration-quot&p=817667#post817667

https://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?45388-348-DIY-quot-Restoration-quot&p=817747#post817747

To be able to get the wishbone back on I had to buy some threaded bar and some nuts to push the bushes in a bit so they fitted back over the hub

https://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?45388-348-DIY-quot-Restoration-quot&p=817807#post817807

Hope this helps!! :)

4. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Mmm interesting. Looking forward following this thread. Good luck

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I would not install a bushing that wasn't pretty close in size to what was uninstalled OEM. The pic makes it look like those do not fit. The other person's thread with the threaded rod thing makes me think those don't fit either and will bind. Squishing out the rubber to force a fit does not sound right to me. But it is hard to tell what is happening from a couple pictures.

6. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Hi guys head over to my Instagram @autofanatic_cars I posted a live video earlier today showing the rear lower control arms and the bushing issues, only 5 of them are bad the 3 others went in perfectly fine.

When i took the new bushings out of the box the new ones visually looked similar but I did not measure with my caliper or micrometer. I did however measure today and the new bushings have a much fatter outer casing by almost 25-30 thousandths than the originals and i think whats happening is the oversized casing is causing the internal carcass to collapse ballooning the rubber on the face flange causing the back end of the bushing to not go any further, this is just my mechanical thoughts. Either way the few large bushings for the rear lower arms are defective by manufacturing or they sent bushings for another car. I have done bushings on many older Ferraris and never once ran into this problem but note in all of those scenarios I used OEM parts not aftermarket replacements. I just got thee entire front suspension fitted and adjusted back on the car, mounted the upper rear arms and now paused until I speak with Superformance on Monday.

7. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    it appears the superformance one collapsed due to the thicker outer shell read my reply above and head over to my IG to see the video and close ups

8. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #8 itsablurr, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Clearly the wrong bushings, just visually. Ignoring diameters, the outer sleeve is simply too short compared to the original, and the overall length from washer to washer is too short as well. Those washers on the bushing ends are swaged to an inner sleeve, and so total length is constrained and does not change after the bushing is pressed in.

Front upper bushings: Front lower bushings: 163038> superseded by 186493
    https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/355-52-motronic/suspension-steering/front-suspension-wishbones-41098

Rear upper: 161571
    Rear lower: 161572 & 161573
    https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/355-52-motronic/suspension-steering/rear-suspension-wishbones-41100

Are the Superformance parts aftermarket? Sounds like a PN mix-up at their end or their supplier's end. Are the '2 smaller ones' on the front the same dimensionally as the others which were pressed? Verify the wishbone receiving dimensions?

Interested to hear Superformance's thoughts when you reach out to them.

GTUnit likes this.
  9. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Problem is now found. here is the issue, the rear lower larger bushings are indeed different for the inner and outer lower wishbones which I was not aware of because the shop who powder coated the wishbone arms removed my originals for me and i never had the chance to see the differences. The new bushings for the rear of the car were all packed inside the same bag which led me and my helper to believe they were the same for all 8 lower large bushings when they are not. He was handing me one at a time as i obsessively was preparing each one not to scratch the fresh finish and I honestly never cross checked it with the originals until days later when the powder coat shop gave the box of originals and the extra powder i ordered back to me with the rest of my parts. Whats odd by the original design by Ferrari is why the outers are shorter primarily for the length of the long 14mm bolt going through if the outers stuck out like the inners the original bolt would never work as I realized in my original post. Superformance sent me out 4 more bushings today no charge the bushings were not the problem it was an internal mixup with us doing them. There service and support is spectacular and I do enjoy ordering from them and give them strong recommendations for anyone needing parts for these cars. So the lesson to be learned here is to double check parts always, take photos and document as much as possible otherwise a silly mistake as mentioned can easily occur for anyone. Next time I ever do bushings I will make sure I am the one removing and installing them this all could have been avoided but this lesson will stick with me for life. thanks for everyone who chimed in here.

Pangea and itsablurr like this.
  10. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    and you should add a HUGE apology to superformance too?

tatry68, Island Guy, Pangea and 2 others like this.
  11. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What a waste of time for Superformance investigating this.

12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Wow talk about crying wolf. Totally not cool. You should contact the moderator and ask to have the thread removed or have the title changed.

A348W and flash32 like this.
  13. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    We all make mistakes, but clearly, a complete investigation should have been done PRIOR to any such posting. This thread should be removed!

GTUnit, Nuvolari and flash32 like this.
  14. Peter Chong

Peter Chong Rookie

Sep 6, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Peter Chong
    I have the same problem with parts from Superformance.

Upper bushing for shock absorber F430. One out of four is wrong.

Something is wrong with their QC or their supplier.

They did responded quickly and a new piece is on it's way, but my ride is still high and dry unnecessarily.

Always check each and every parts from Superformance upon arrival. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G973F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Changed to “Superformance go above and beyond”. Sending out replacement parts at no cost due to OPs mistake!!!

GTUnit likes this.
  16. Peter Chong

Peter Chong Rookie

Sep 6, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Peter Chong
    It's been already 2 weeks and I have not received my replacement bushing.
    They keep saying the item is on it's way but today Parcel Force tracking indicates item returned to sender.

This is my first purchase from Superformance and I can't say it has been any good experience.

17. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Before throwing a company under the bus, like the OP did, I’d first suggest you find out what the issue is. This might have nothing to do with Superformance.

Errors happen, we are all human and the worth of a company is how they correct any error.

I buy a bits and bobs from them and they have always been excellent, as shown by the OPs post where they have gone way way above and beyond!

18. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    +1

I just received a package yesterday (from another well known company) that was shipped on Dec. 16. Holiday season delay. Nobody's fault.

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Never had a problem with Superformance in 8 years. Sometime stuff gets delayed in customs.

20. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    So you guesses at what part were needed? Did you ever ponder why there are different part numbers even on Superformance site? Ever google the part numbers to see? Email them and ask them? Believe it or not but guessing at parts numbers rarely works well. Ahh well all is well that ends well lesson learned I suppose. Good for you for passion for maintain the car.:)