"The Lamborghini Miura" by Simon Kidston | Page 3 | FerrariChat

"The Lamborghini Miura" by Simon Kidston

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Ronald A. Berke, Oct 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Rosey and gt4me like this.
  2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #52 Jack-the-lad, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Of course it is odd! All they want is create emotions.
    It's not about a book, it's about $$$$.
    The more, the better.
    A clever way of marketing and promotion.
    Guys, wake up!

Marcel Massini

NürScud, ChoroQ and Nembo1777 like this.
  4. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Well, my point was that it had the opposite of the intended effect on me. The pictures in the email of the Stewarts together (see below) are splendid, but the picture of Sir Jackie in bed with a mask on is jarring to say the least.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nembo1777 likes this.
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #55 Nembo1777, Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    I have the greatest respect for the Stewart's and empathy for what they are going through with her dementia.

That being said...the photo of JYS in bed with mask is completely inappropriate. Cynicism of the worst kind.

Next week: buy book number 2 to finance a new -ironed- suit and comb for Boris Johnson?

NürScud, Lusso123 and gt4me like this.
  6. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    Sir Jackie Stewart is in hospital in Switzerland recovering from a knee operation. At the age of 81, this will take a while. The Kidston team visited him last Saturday, 19 December, the same day he was interviewed in similar circumstances by BBC Television for the annual Sports Personality of the Year programme that went out on Sunday night. Masks were worn by all concerned for obvious reasons. This was Jackie’s choice. He was on good form, and his relationship with Simon Kidston dates back to the time when Simon was at school with Jackie's sons.

The comments made by a small number of members of this forum concerning Sir Jackie Stewart, the charity appeal and, last but not least, the number of Kidston Miura books printed – “there must be 1000s” – are not only beneath contempt but border on the defamatory. We struggle to understand the motivation behind such cynicism. The book itself was a labour of love and the fruit of over three decades gathering Miura information. There are many quicker ways to earn money.

Kidston is honoured to be working with Race Against Dementia, a worthy charity that benefits those and their families suffering immensely from this terrible illness, and to be doing something tangible to help. Anyone on this forum can donate directly to: https://www.raceagainstdementia.com/

Ferrarichat members can judge for themselves the motives behind Kidston’s charity auction, and whether indeed they "must have printed 1000s more".

Rosey, NürScud, Boomhauer and 2 others like this.
  7. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Well said! I adore my copy of the book, and this auction is a wonderful way to support a good cause.
    Happy Christmas to you!

Rosey, stevewak and 375+ like this.
  8. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    Thank you. To make things clear, I am Steve Wakefield and I work with Kidston SA on the Miura book and other matters.

Rosey, bloomberg, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  9. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Would anyone like to provide their review of the book? I didn't buy a copy in the end because I couldn't quite bring myself to pay that much (the price now being irrelevant since I don't sell my books) for a book about a car that I am interested in but only up to a point.

stevewak likes this.
  10. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Unfortunately & regardless of Kidston's charitable work and intentions.... the photo of Sir Jackie in bed, wearing a mask, holding the book....visually - from a marketing view to/from the public... sends the wrong message. Not the best decision. No matter the intentions, it is a 'turn-off' to many. We gave this Miura book a nice mention in the "News" section of our magazine a few issues ago. With that said, I would still not publish the photo in question if it had been sent to us.

Now on a more positive note, I believe Kidston's charitable efforts are commendable, and I have personally just made a small donation to the Race Against Dementia.

11. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #61 Marcel Massini, Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    I am one of the "many". That photo really is a big turn-off. At least for me.
    Only a handful of people probably knew that Sir Jackie had a knee operation and NOT Covid. When seeing pix of people with a mask and in bed, what does first come to your mind, these days?
    I consider this very poor, thoughtless and vulgar "marketing".
    Think about visual impacts, you can do a lot of damage.
    Just my 0.2 cents.

Marcel Massini

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    No one questions the charity here though it is used for marketing that is very questionable.

That -not explaining that photo- is a typical faux pas by SK who has always been socially awkward, laughs at the wrong time during jokes and prefers jokes that make harsh fun of someone. There was clearly a major lack of oversight there but he must be so giddy at having turned what should be a cultural asset available to all, to be shared by all to advance knowledge into an over priced limited edition money maker, many copies of which will sit on the shelves of oligarchs unread, callously depriving hundreds more who would have wanted it that he lost focus.

As to him gathering Miura material for 30 years, sorry, like Tim Parker who was to be the first editor in 2007, upon my first visit to his offices that year when he asked me to review what he had I was unimpressed. Lots of photos some documents but in my view and Parker's there wasn't anywhere near the content of a book there, I was not impressed.

I can still remember what a prominent person, now a high level car broker who used to work with him said, rolling his eyes, when I signed the co author contract in May 2007: "Oh so the mythical wondrous Miura book will finally get done at long last..."

13. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yes, I was shocked when I opened the email and saw that picture. Very regrettable.

14. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    My thoughts exactly Mr Massini. This guy (Kidston) can be really funny some times. Firstly with the 'barn find' Miura SV and now with the book. Of course this is my opinion.

Marcel Massini and Nembo1777 like this.
  15. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I completely agree. I'm one of those people who did not know about his knee operation, and I was immediately very turned off when I saw that photo. Even knowing the background now, it was still a very poor choice/decision to use...completely thoughtless. There is a good reason why I and millions of others still use the saying: "A picture is worth a thousand words." And if you're not careful, as is clearly shown here, then the words that picture will speak are not very good!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  16. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    I can appreciate one's unhappiness and frustrations, we all share some of that at times. But to attack someone in public because of a personal vendetta, I'm not sure that is the way to go. I do not know SK in person, but I do know his (team's) book now, and it is a great achievement by any measure. And kudos to you for your part.
    The auction is a wonderful way to support a good cause, even if some picture was ill chosen according to some.
    And of course SK is a great marketeer, nothing wrong with that.

Boomhauer and stevewak like this.
  17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    If you can't even understand that some photos because they have delicate content absolutely NEED a caption then you'd have to be someone who takes twelve years to clumsily order others around to do a book for you...oh wait;-)

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Trust me this is nothing, not an attack at all and water off a thick skinned Scottish duck's back.

Thank you.

Charity is always good I admire Jeff Bezos ex wife for donating billions without a fuss, amazing. And yes as used car salesmen go SK is king of marketing...just not in the blooper we have discussed.

19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    CHARITY AUCTION: MIURA BOOK NO. 1 FOR RACE AGAINST DEMENTIA

WINNING BID: £29,100.00

swift53, Nembo1777, bloomberg and 2 others like this.
  20. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I thought it would have gone for more than that.

21. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Really? Still a fairly high price for a book.

Lusso123 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  22. 360cs France

360cs France Rookie

Feb 23, 2015
    Paris
    I have copy 365

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant FerrariChat

23. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    For sale ?

24. 360cs France

360cs France Rookie

Feb 23, 2015
    Paris
    No sorry

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant FerrariChat

25. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    No problem.
    Was just curious as to why you mentioned it.