430 - Gt3 vs Scuderia | FerrariChat

430 Gt3 vs Scuderia

Discussion in '360/430' started by redhammer, Dec 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redhammer

redhammer Karting

May 9, 2011
    Hi everyone,
    I’ve been lurking thru the 430 sub forums hoping to find anyone that has a first hand experience owning both 991 gt3 and Scuderia. I’m debating on trading or selling my 991.1 gt3 for a Scuderia. I don’t track my cars but have to say the GT3 is an incredible drivers car. The Scud would be my first F car, I have owned few lambos currently own a Murcielago and a yellow Gt3. Any thoughts ?

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    You have a Merci and another GT3. You need a Scud to round it out.

3. henley1

henley1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I get my scud this week. sold my .2 rs about a yr ago. never looked back. so excited to get scud. so ya. get one.

tifosi101, lewishou and redhammer like this.
  4. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    The Scuderia is probably the most intense driver's car when it comes to emotions. If I never sell a car again, it's the Scuderia.

5. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

redhammer, x z8, honda corse and 2 others like this.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I owned a 991.1 GT3 and have driven a Scud at the track. if my life was depending on a lap time, I would go with the GT3. pretty much everything else the Scud wins. Depreciation Scud beats GT3, Exoticness Scud beats GT3, Investment potential Scud beats GT3, fun around streets I would give to the Scud, but the GT3 is a bunch of fun around streets too.

7. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Also note, perhaps an update to a 992 would be an idea for you along with a Scud as well after selling both your GT3 and the Lambo?

The level of improvements Porsche makes model to model of 911 is amazing. You can order a 992 with killer options that would likely be a car you would enjoy more than your current GT3 and also be very proficient on track even though that is not your intended use, you would notice the improvements in design on the street. The new 911’s in an S version are way more than you need on the street performance wise.

I tracked my 991.2 S and had previous gen GT3 drivers unable to pass me. And one went off track trying lol. Rear axle steering is key. And PDK for track work.

I just traded my 991.2 S for a 992 S that has all the track options and other cool stuff with an aero kit. I like the wing and feel that it resolved the rear end styling issues of the 992 without it. It is a GT type wing that you might like as you have a GT car now.

The standard rear end treatment to the 992 kept me from ordering a 2020 911.

This time I went stick because my recently acquired this Fall F430 Spider has the F1 transmission. There is no substitute. With your current cars. The Lambo would be the one I sold for a Scud as they are similar. And a new 992 would update your 911 experience.

Here is my new 911, you might like it instead of your GT3:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I like the look! Just regular 911 with a wing option? I would love to look at your sticker, message me if you don't want to post. Thanks.

9. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

If you are in So Cal I have learned that Dan at Irvine Porsche is the guy to work with in So Cal, or the cars he has specifically ordered are amazing. He is the GM and very good to work with. Easy deal no bs.

Here is the build sheet it is a 992 Carrera S.

If you are a driver you will be surprised or maybe not, how many people you can fly by on a track day in one. These cars will make you look like a hero.

Cheers!

VAF84 and rob lay like this.
  10. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

I'm a total gt3 fanboy and love every generation. I have had four but haven't owned a 991 or later (I love the mezger plus manual combo). Have you seen this?

Punchline: Scuds compare favorably to 991-generation gt3's in straight line speed. But imho opinion, 991's are kind of boring. Almost too good...to clinical, not enough drama or imperfection. Its why I have a re-geared 996 gt3 with a bunch of weight reduction. I just love it. But even compared to my first gen gt3, my Scud is WAY more raw and visceral. I will say that again. Its nothing like a 991 gt3. 991's feels like a Rolls Royce compared to the scud. Way more noise, drama, vibration, and emotion. If that is what you are after you won't be disappointed, but you should definitely drive one first....they are hard to explain on the internet!!!! People say that gt3's are "race cars for the roads" but that expression applies to the scud even more.

Bas, Ash Patel, redhammer and 2 others like this.
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    is the aerokit the wing?

12. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Different rear fascia, wing, side skirts and front fascia.

13. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #13 RichardCH, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    so where is the wing listed? I looked online and none for sale have the wing. the wing is what I like best about it.

15. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    I've had a Scud and a 991.2 GT3.

Scud oozes Maranello, smells like a Challenge Car (with alcantara interior) and is an excellent weekend car with tons of personality.

Hop in the GT3 and you feel like you're driving a car that 30 years more advanced. The P Car oozes quality and feels like you're driving a piece of granite that's glued to the road. The Scud feels like it's always on its "tippy toes."

As mentioned previously, on track, a 991.2 GT3 would eat a Scud for lunch...if that's important for you.

Both cars were extremely reliable and a true pleasure to own.

16. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Watch the recent 992 videos by Harry's Garage... they may look amazing, go faster than ever before and looks sexy but they are less exciting than prior, more isolated, and it seems they suffer from really loud noise noise on rough surfaces...

Having traded in my 991.2S specce'd with all the sporty bit, and sunroof delete, the experience in GT3 can NOT be duplicate in non GT Porsche even if new car is much faster... I think my Tesla model 3P is faster than my RS up to 60 mph ... means nothing

x z8 likes this.
  17. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    why are you guys not comparing with the GT3 RS, or isnt a SCUD a track car ?

18. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    the 992 rear wing looks fab !

rob lay likes this.
  19. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

There is the exterior sport design package which is the non wing upgraded fascias and side skirts and the aero kit that includes that package and the wing. I was willing for a sport design only package. It helps. But once you see the wing it’s hard not to want it. I would call the GM at Irvine Dan. Say that a fellow on F-Chat just bought his chalk one and ask him. Or send me a PM with your email and I will e-introduce you to him. They ship anywhere.

I did not see many listed for sale with the Aerokit. When I did I bought it there were 3 in So Cal last week.

redhammer and rob lay like this.
  20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

Care to comment on sound?

21. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Well in fairness they removed all the electronic and comm equipment, and virtually the full interior minus a seat and harness on the driver's side in addition to the wiessach package. The scud just went as-is from the showroom, so i wouldn't quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite call either that 6:56 or the 7:05 (while both absolutely BLISTERINGLY amazing times, make no bones about it) "showroom fresh". ;)

The 991.2 GT3RS is epic. Wholly epic.

But given the choice....I dunno. I'd probably have to go Scud uber alles.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    because even the GT3 can take a Scud, the RS destroys it.

Boomhauer, redhammer, NMNMNMN and 2 others like this.
  23. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    Well, my Scud came with the Capristo remote valve switch and I always had the valves open. I've never owned any Italian V12's, but other than those cars, the sound of the Scud was always absolutely spectacular...perfect blend of raw power and precision.

The sound of the GT3 was much more clinical and subdued. I installed a Sharkwerks center bypass (kept everything else stock) which made a huge difference. For me, the center bypass added to the character of the car without being too "droney." It amplified the true, genuine sound of the car without sounding fake or boosted.

Both cars made lots of little, interesting mechanical noises when starting them up. Sound-deadening material was also used sparsely (particularly in the Scud) and made it seem like you could hear (and feel) every pebble and crack on the road. Again, moreso in the Scud.

The Scud was more of an event on the street but the excellence of the GT3 was astonishing when driving it at 9.5/10ths on the track with semi slicks. Shifting at 9,000 rpm's followed by amazing threshold braking makes your heart race.

My 991.2 was very competitive with very well driven 996 Cup Cars...truly amazing for a street car with Hoosier R7's. I suspect the GT3 would've been a little faster than a 996 Cup (at Watkins Glen) with full slicks.

redhammer, NMNMNMN and ShineKen like this.
  24. Stephen Ayers

Stephen Ayers Rookie

Jan 21, 2018
    Bay Area, Northern California
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ayers
    I've had both standard 991.1 GT3 and 991.1 GT3RS. Then acquired the Scud. The RS was my primary track car with occasional Scud track days. Then I bought a new 991.2 Cup Car. Well, that ruined street cars on the track forever... Street-wise, while spirited street driving in the RS I would find myself wishing I was in the Scud. The RS is a cruise missile. Goes where you tell it and rock solid reliability. The Scud is much more visceral, engaging, and a bit cantankerous. It gathers a crowd. Basically an event ever time you take it out. After a while I wasn't driving the RS anymore and sold it. The Cup car is a far better/faster/safer track car. Strangely enough I replaced the RS with an F12. Totally different experience. Best looking modern Ferrari. Not as engaging as the Scud. But that V12 is addictive. The combination of Scud for spirited street driving, F12 for cruising, and Cup for track/racing is working well for me.

Get the Scud!

Ash Patel, Elsi, nickorette and 12 others like this.
  25. redhammer

redhammer Karting

May 9, 2011
    Wow nice to hear all these different perspectives, now I’m even more intrigued. I appreciate all pointers, seems like one hell of a car. I definitely wouldn’t get rid of my murci, even though handling wise doesn't even come close to the Gt3, but the sound of the V12, torque and the looks are hard to beat. I think a red scud as addition would be the ideal