Tall guys in F430s with Daytona seats? | FerrariChat

Tall guys in F430s with Daytona seats?

Discussion in '360/430' started by ChimpanZed, Dec 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChimpanZed

ChimpanZed Rookie

Oct 11, 2015
    Colorado
    Hey all, Mr. Noob checking in again. I’ve searched but haven’t found an answer to a specific question I have.

How well do you tall guys fit in F430s with Daytona seats? It seems like most F430s have the Daytonas, and those Daytonas look more La-Z-Boy and BarcaLounger than Recaro race seat. The height of the bottom cushion makes me wonder how well I’ll fit.

I’m 6’4” and 220lbs with a 34” inseam. I’m a little more torso than leg which gives me headroom issues in many cars (Porsche 991.2 = bliss, Lotus Evora = nightmare). How well do you long torso guys fit in the F430 Berlinetta?

Me in an Evora GT, a car that was specifically designed for tall people:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Eric C and Texas Forever like this.
  2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    So it looks like you got about an inch in that car and that is about what I would expect. I am 6'6"; I have been in early Evora's but not new ones. They are snug and no room for a helmet but definitely manageable if you set them up well. Tall guys wear a sports car like a glove so forget having tons of room. First suggestion, learn to drive more Italian straight arm style; recline the seat more to get some headroom. You are balancing leg room and head room. Go with the sport seats and get manual seats (don't need room for the motor under there). I hate the 360 sport seats but the Scud and 458 sport seats are great. The 458 sport seats also buy you over 1" of headroom. In my 360 Spider, my hair touched the top (when it was up). The Modena has slightly more room than the Spider. With sport seats, it was comfortable but still no room for a helmet.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I’m 6’4 and had no problem when I had the 430 Spider.

Mighty Joe and armedferret like this.
  4. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

We have similar body type. I dislike the Daytona’s they are too tall. I would up removing the visor so I could see the signal lights better. My seat is currently jammed against the rear bulkhead. I am going with Tillet racing seats. The advice I saw here was to make sure you get side mount seats to get the seat low. Like you I have a long torso and the Daytona’s I like they are simply too tall. I can drive with them but I like my Porsches seating arrangement 1000 times more. Even thought of putting in modern Porsche seats. I just took delivery of a 992 and like the 991.2 perfect seating position is easy to find. Even on a vintage Porsche I can make it work. 430 not so much. I have spent over an hour trying to optimize it in my garage. And decided on the Tillets. I will post pics after I get them home and in the car.

Try one first my advice is they seem way too high to me. I have powered Daytona’s.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I'm 6'3" and fit fine in my 430 Daytonas. Prob 2" headroom. I'm more long legged but don't even have my seat right back. You need to find one and jump in.

unreelviper likes this.
  6. Remco Brouwer

Remco Brouwer Rookie

Aug 20, 2020
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Remco Brouwer
    I have powered Daytona seats too (f430 coupé) and with my 1.87m I just just fit without hitting the ceiling. I guess it all depends on things like length of your back and legs. The setup I have now works but is not ideal, in the ideal world I’d have my backrest up a bit from where it is now...

7. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Indeed I can make it work and I fidget about it when enjoying the car, I just don’t love it. I have some lower back issues that make it so crouching over in the cabin is not optimal. And the recline vs leg room is doable just not optimal as in my 911’s. Also a spider has lower interior height with top up and the windshield header is a bit shorter. Perhaps a coupe would suit me just fine. Cheers!

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    There is at least 1" difference between coupe and Spider.

9. drmc

drmc Rookie

Dec 12, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Danny
  10. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I am 6' 2" and 230lbs and had no problems in my F430 Spider with Daytona's....

11. Hobacks427

Hobacks427 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Neil
    One more piece of data: I'm 6'3" 235 lbs and longer in the body than legs. Me personally, I am happier in the 430 sport seats than I was when I tried Daytona seats (manual and give an era inch or so of head room over Daytona seats). I am a coupe owner for reference.

armedferret likes this.
  12. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm 6'2 - 305 lbs. I just lean my seat all the way back and hope for the best. I bought some Scud seats and those did give me a ton of headroom but I went back to Daytona's because Scud seats aren't meant for men with manly bodies.

armedferret likes this.