Pista/Speciale Market | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Pista/Speciale Market

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Robert P, Dec 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    the Italia’s engine is superb!
    the shock absorbers and the lack of downforce are really problematic on the Italia
    this is where the Speciale is perfect

I don’t regret Italia !!!!

Caeruleus11 and GT2goneF like this.
  2. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thank you for pointing that out. I sold my 488 at a great price this year and was under the impression that 488 pricing was very strong. Current availability though shows that 458 Italia pricing is unbelievably strong and almost better than 488. Weird.

GT2goneF likes this.
  3. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    It is the 9k RPM screaming NA "dying breed" that people are looking and will continue looking. I am pretty sure this is going to become a hard thing to find, unless you get it from that dealership in Florida that sells salvage ones as used without history. A well kept one will reach very high prices. In a future not too long from now, I predict Speciales reaching a Mil or more. I already saw an Aperta for about a Mil.

4. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    The UK market was supplied 325 Speciale coupe and 486 Pista. There are currently less Speciale here, which means that some are exported - you could assume the same will happen with Pista. Therefore, there are about 160 more Pista’s. In the context of things, that is not so significant. It’s not like we are comparing 100 and 486 and Pista is still a very rare car. 458 has done well and there are very many of those.

I also don’t fully agree with all the ‘money doesn’t matter’ folks. I do see their point and sometimes follow their logic - I own a Speciale, Pista Spider and still bought an F8. But our Speciale is worth what we paid for it (or close) after 5 years of outrageous fun and thousands of miles, all doing bucket list-type activities (drove TT, Le Mans circuits, did MM etc.) That does feel good and I never spent a minute worrying about its resale. Ironic really because I will try and never sell it - it was our first new Ferrari - whereas the F8 will be sold when I’ve had my fun with it. The Pista Spider will also be kept, but if I had to sell one it would be the Pista probably. But only because the Speciale was our first and now has so many memories.

So why is my answer for the OP the Pista? Because it’s a better car, not more special but just as, and has a more modern drive. It’s just as brilliant and it’s faster. Some say better looking too. And I don’t think it will lose enough value to ever make it an expensive hold. If I had neither in my garage I would bet on the Pista to give me better value, calculated as depreciation divided by smiles. But it’s so close and frankly, you can’t go wrong with either. Buy the one you love more and in this case, I wouldn’t consider depreciation (the Speciale has done well but there’s no certainty it won’t have down days to come).

5. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    fyi: Pista has brake system from the 812, not the Speciale/LaF...internally quite different

6. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Do you think the same "screaming NA" rationale will hold with the pre-GPF 812? UK was oversupplied but only 1,000 were delivered in US market.

GT2goneF likes this.
  7. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Thanks for the great reply.

I have had fantastic fun with my 488 since buying from new, but can’t quite match Le Mans & MM!

I am sure I will love a Speciale or a Pista (I am still leaning towards the Pista), and whilst money is a factor, I agree that it’s not the most important issue in making this particular choice.

Bring on those smiles!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I think so, only for those who would want to keep their 812 stock. For me, when and if I get to the market for one, I won't care because if I get a GPF one, it will be eliminated with Novitec exhaust system. The sound of the 812 with Novitec is just absolutely gorgeous.

9. Giallo27

Giallo27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    JB
    Speciale and pista prices are around 60k$ away now. We have no idea how Pista’s prices will behave yet but in the other hand we’ve had almost 7 years to understand what’s the position in the market of Speciales that are holding strongly.

GT2goneF likes this.
  10. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Sorry but not following... Speciale only US$60K less than similar spec Pista?

11. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I have both. They are different cars. Beyond the performance difference that is well documented, the Pista is more refined. It’s moved more toward GT.

Beyond this cost discussion, if one is actually planning to use the cars, the Pista is the better car if you want to to log more miles, go on long tours, even use the car more daily. The Speciale is more raw, more solidly still in the sports car camp. If it’s a limited use car used mostly for shorter mountain/canyon runs, I think the Speciale is the better car.

You guys can carry on with the value discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    100% concur. Pista is much closer to F8 than Speciale in terms of overall feeling of comfort and refinement.

GT2goneF likes this.
  13. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    I've had the pleasure of owning both, in Coupe form. Speciale is astoundingly pretty, and it seems to get better looking with time. My onliy gripe about the Speciale (and one that many others do not share) is that it always felt a bit flat in the acceleration department when driven in succession with a similar turbocharged car. I always wondered what the Speciale would have felt like with a manual transmission...with all that razor sharp NA throttle response.

Pista just feels so blisteringly quick to me and is the best looking mid-engine design of all time. Period. It also goes 212 mph (ask me how I know :)) I'd sell a Speciale to have a Pista, price delta or no...

Robert P likes this.
  14. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I totally agree.

It all comes down to how fast you want to go.

It’s not to say that faster is better..... to some it is.

The Speciale does feel a little lethargic after a fast session in the Pista.

Also you can be lazy with the Pista as the turbos pull you out if any corner from very low revs. The Speciale you have to pedal harder and keep her in the Peak torque range.

May the Horse be with you

Robert P and FordGTDriver like this.
  15. Chasing Ferrari

Dec 18, 2016
    The Speciale is more expensive than a Pista over here.....

16. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Where are you located?

17. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I can tell you to me the Pista is the more beautiful car and the one I will keep for now anyway.. I do not know why but I have never had a desire to buy the Speciale I turned down an allocation for a new one 3 times .. However I could not get an allocation for the PISTA but from the first time I saw the Pista I knew I had to have it so I was finally able to get one.. The speciale will likely hold its value better or fine I do not know .. I look at it the the SCUD is more raw and has a better sound and I have had 2 scuds and still have one will likely keep it .. SO get the one you like ....neither one will make you rich owning that I can promise you.... SO for me The answer is clearly the PISTA....
    but I am not you ... best of luck

18. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    In Canada, there is currently 1 Speciale for sale ($560k CAD asking) and 11 Pistas (lowest asking $585k CAD).

19. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Gotta be careful with this statement. You are provoking the spirits!

20. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Good thoughts - thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I think you said something important and it really resonates with me...”neither one will make you rich...”
    I think people overlook this point...and it is important. These are not investments, they will NOT make you money, they will not make you rich; in fact, neither will even ever pay bills for you...in the end both will cost you money.
    Buy a car like this to enjoy the nuances of life, period, that’s it, game over, end of discussion.
    Buy to enjoy.
    Enjoy...enjoy...enjoy.

johnr265, junc, Tommy Boy and 2 others like this.
  22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    ...which requires you to be a better driver in the S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT2goneF likes this.
  23. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    For me the Pista is a better looking car and from guys I know that have owned both say the Pista drives better and is more fun on the street.

I love the N/A sound but the Pista sounds cool too. I'd rather have better driving, torque and better looking....so Pista for me.

tickerhound, Robert P and LARRYH like this.
  24. Chasing Ferrari

Dec 18, 2016
    Investment...Speciale 90 Pista 75
    Driving....Pista 90 Speciale 75

It is a tie
    Depends on which is more important to you

Mc11 and GT2goneF like this.
  25. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I could have traded "up" to a Pista from the pre-owned market, but decided I'll hold onto my beloved Speciale for a very long time God willing. I do believe the 458 was/is a seminal car for Ferrari and to have the VS version is just the cherry on top to me. Both are incredible

GT2goneF, Robert P and LARRYH like this.