My 60k-Mile Track Rental BAT Scud Project! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

My 60k-Mile Track Rental BAT Scud Project!

Discussion in '360/430' started by Scottslaw, Jul 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Curious what you used to clean the intake runners?
    [​IMG]

2. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Thank you! definitely bringing joy. Continue to be impressed by the car. The number of "smallish" little needs and projects is still pretty staggering, but amazingly, nothing major at all. The car just works. So far, have been able to do everything myself. And I'm learning so much about the car in the process. Also happy to report that the small spring on the shaft of the bypass valve completely eliminated the cold start rattle. Will drive it later to make sure the added tension is not affecting the operation of the valves. This is just a stop-gap as I'm sure I'll be getting an aftermarket exhaust pretty soon just to address the rough oem exhaust system, clean up the sound (the binary on-off aspect of the valves is kind of annoying), and drop some weight, reduce some heat, and maybe gain a few ponies.

3. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Literally just soaked in some degreaser for a few minutes to loosen up the hardened crud (citrus autozone stuff...nothing harsh), then followed by a good stiff bristle plastic brush, a microfiber towel, lots of brake cleaner, and some elbow grease (man, I sounded like my dad just there!).

338Lapua likes this.
  4. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Just for giggles, and for those that don't want to read through 13 boring pages, here is what I have personally done to the car since getting it in August (I'm sure I'm forgetting some things!):

Interior:
    • replace missing seat rail bolt
    • replace missing rear trim fasteners
    • re-install/re-secure drooping headliner
    • Velcro down popped dash vents (temporary measure until dash r&r)
    • Replace broken battery cover plate
    • De-sticky all sticky knobs and vents (still need to do window switches and steering column surround)
    • New “R” and “Auto” buttons
    • Replace driver’s side door seal/felt
    • Condition all interior leather
    • Replace missing dead pedal rubber
    • Replace broken gas pedal hinge cover
    • Replace both door strikers
    • Fix passenger door rattle (handle cable)
    • condition all carbon fiber
    • fix broken ac vent tab and paint inner trim ring (it was silver, which is for f430 vents, instead of black for 430's)
    • hardwire battery tender
    Engine/drivertrain
    • Front and rear brake pads
    • New motor mounts
    • New transmission mount
    • New oil recirculation/breather system lines including 1-way valve
    • 2 new power steering reservoir lines
    • New intake manifold gaskets
    • New cam tower gaskets
    • New valve cover gaskets
    • New spark plug gaskets
    • Replace missing/broken header studs (3x)
    • Replace header gaskets
    • Replace cat/header ring gaskets
    • Replace front left radiator fan
    • Replace upper front shock mount bushings
    • Replace lower front shock mount bushings
    • Replace lower rear shock mount bushings
    • Re-secure/repair capistro header blankets
    • Repair/weld integrated catalytic converter heat shields
    • Repair loose/rattling upper cat heat shields
    • Repair/weld left muffler bracket
    • Repair/weld rear muffler/silencer cracks at pipe/box junction
    • Heat wrap (DEI titanium) rear muffler/silencer
    • Replace two pre-cat 02 sensors
    • Replace broken gear box heat shield
    • Repair/re-secure broken f1 actuator heat shield (temporary fix)
    • AC refrigerant flush
    • New AC compressor (purchased but not yet installed)
    • New AC drier/filter (purchased but not yet installed)
    • Replace front roll bar bushings
    • Re-wrap approximately 10,000 feet of deteriorating engine wiring loom tape in engine compartment with high heat “tessa” tape
    Maintenance:
    • Oil and filter change (including new screen assembly)
    • Transmission oil change (and clean filter screen)
    • Coolant change
    • New spark plugs
    • Power steering fluid flush
    • Air filters
    • Brake fluid flush
    • Clean and detail entire intake tract including cam towers, intake manifold, throttle bodies, and interior of airbox
    • New serpentine belt
    Misc.
    • New rear hatch struts
    • New pininfarina badges and install in proper locations
    • Repair broken tail lights studs
    • New F1 relay (preventative)
    • Polish/clean exhaust tips
    • New battery (preventative)
    • Clean/detail rear hatch supports
    • Repaint upper rear hatch drip tray
    • Replace misc. missing carbon engine bay panel hardware
    • Secure loose “430 Scuderia” emblem
    • Secure loose “Ferrari” rear hatch emblem
    • Replace missing “Ferrari” intake manifold emblems
    • Repair broken cracked areas of rear undertray with fiberglass resin
    • Repair broken tabs for rear diffuser and tighten carbon “fins”
    • Re-align and center rear hatch
    • Re-align front bumper
    • Misc. paint touch ups
    • Replace missing gas cap rubber “bumpers”
    • Clean/condition seatbelts

5. NewYorkLego

NewYorkLego Karting

Jan 28, 2019
    NY
    Congratulations!! Awesome car

I am almost positive I drove this car in Las Vegas at Exotic Racing around 2013. Great experience for around $500! Lol

Jakuzzi likes this.
  6. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    It’s awesome that you’re making this Scud like new again! That is a huge amount of work completed!

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Well, I can confirm that as reported on other posts, a carefully positioned spring at the base of the shaft of the bypass valve was all it took to quiet them down SIGNIFICANTLY! While it was on my lift I had to take a pic of this cool design element I had never previously noticed. Love how the flat edge of the wheel well/fender tire opening does not continue down the wheel opening and instead extends and blends back towards the door. Such a pretty car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mickster, JoeTSI and bzubi like this.
  8. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Tackled another little project over the past couple of days. The passenger airbag leather was a little "loose." Not wrinkled up or horrible looking, but not tight, as it was apparent the adhesive in spots had given up. So I removed it, stripped the old foam, conditioned the leather overnight, and re-glued it. Looks a lot better but not perfect as it was hard to stretch the shrunken leather all the way to the extreme edges of the base. Pro tip: I opted not to use foam but that was a mistake. Without foam every little imperfection in the base (like dried glue or old foam residue) shows up and "telegraphs" a bit through the leather, so you can see a few bumps. Plus, without foam the airbag leather won't stand quite as "proud" so it will sit a little lower. It looks better than it did but next time I will use the foam backing to keep the dimensions identical and "smooth out" the surface of the leather. Oh well, looks better than it did! Will probably re-do it when I remove the dash to tackle the defroster vents!

Drove the car to work today...2500 miles since acquisition and rising!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen, AandSC and G. Pepper like this.
  9. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    Funny you say that about the fender design. It always catches my eye, one of my favorite design aspects of the car.

10. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Another little project and a few more rattles addressed. The little rubber piece that sits over the side view mirror base was looking pretty ratty. It had gotten folded under at some point in the past and would bunch up when I rolled up the window. It bugged me so much as it was constantly in my line of sight. So I sourced a super clean used one and started taking stuff apart. Kind of a hassle. While the door panel was off (scud panels have to be removed to remove this piece) I decided to inspect everything, tighten up all accessible fasteners, vacuum out any debris, lube everything, and chase down a few rattles. Mission accomplished. The bolts holding the window regulator track to the bottom edge of the window were very loose. Might want to check those next time you have your door panels off! Looks so much better now! Will tackle the passenger side window switch that is loose in its housing tonight (got a replacement waiting to go in). As they say in Haitian Creole: "Piti Piti Zwazo Fe niche-li"! (little by little the bird makes its nest!).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

armedferret likes this.
  11. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Scott what are you referring to with regards to the spring at the base of the shaft of the bypass valve? Any chance you can take a photo? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

will snap a pic later today.

13. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    True words. but the car was never "dead" ;)

14. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Here you go DeTomasoGTS74!

to test if this will help you, just remove that little screen in the diffuser and at cold start (before the piping heats up) just grab the shaft of the valve actuator and apply pressure back and forth. If it gets quieter then a little spring with some lateral pressure will quiet things down. I’m sure Ferrari won’t sell just the part that is rattling, so this will hold me over until I go with an aftermarket set up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. lewishou

lewishou Rookie

Jun 7, 2008
    Atherton, CA
    Scottslaw,

Is that a lift I see in one of your pictures? If so mind sharing what brand? Any trouble parking or modications needed to park the Scuderia on it?
    BTW this is my favorite thread on Fchat for sure.

Lewis

16. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

thanks for the kind words Lewis! I’m kind of obsessed was tinkering with the car and making it right. It has been really fun. And so rewarding. I wasn’t sure if anyone would be interested in the progress but it’s a fun visual diary for me that I’ll be able to look back on. As for the lifts, they are cheapy Tuxedo brand four post units and they work great. No clearance issues at all (gt3 is trickier because lower in front). I actually bought two from a friend who had ten for his car collection, and I only paid 500 bucks a piece so I couldn’t go wrong! I bought a hydraulic rolling bridge Jack that sits between the ramps and it is a game changer. I can get the wheels off the ramps in two seconds and it is sturdy and secure. Since I’ve had these lifts I have not laid on the ground one time to do maintenance of any kind, which is huge! Everything is so much faster!

17. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks much! Will take a look but have not been aware of noise as of yet.....then again with the S-Line, everything else is essentially drowned out!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

armedferret likes this.
  18. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Your s line retains the stock valves? If so that’s cool!

19. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    That Scud went to the right owner!

lewishou likes this.
  20. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Ok, a couple more VERY satisfying projects completed in the interior:

1. Remaining sticky surfaces. Although I had tackled most of the worst offenders, there were still some stickiness to banish: steering column surround, HVAC buttons, and window switches. Countless unfamiliar drivers stabbing away blindly with a sharp key really did a number on the ignition area. Stripping the finish was really, really tedious. I ended up having to manually scrape it off, which was ok since I was planning to repaint it anyway. Just know that if you diy this, it will likely take a few hours to get it all off. That's how long it took me, even with the liberal use of alcohol (isopropyl, not the beverage kind...I'm not a drinker, although I almost got there!). I then sanded everything smooth and resprayed with my favorite SEM trim paint. The stuff is darker than the oem finish but it is very robust. I've used it for years even on the threshold parts on my Porsches and they hold up to abuse well. Only a concourse judge would notice that shade is darker! Next I tackled the window switch surrounds. These were easy, and the alcohol left a nice, flat finish underneath, so no additional refinishing was required. You can see that someone in the past tried to remove the goo without removing the switch, which left a lot of the offending stuff and generally looked like crap. I only lightly cleaned the rocker switch itself. Be careful, you can get to the "white" very easy. Same with the HVAC components. Very tricky to get right because if you go too far you start to remove the white lettering. On the knobs if you are too aggressive you expose the white base (you non-scud owners are lucky with your silver knobs). There is literally not a sticky/bad looking plastic part that remains on the car!!!

2. Cleaning/respraying exposed interior floorboards: Most satisfying job to date! As you can imagine on a track rental car, the exposed metal thresholds were HAMMERED. Adding insult to injury, they had been resprayed in the past in the wrong shade (much darker than the oem color). So I got the oem paint code from a prior thread and had a shop mix up a rattle can batch. Perfect Match! Removed the seat and top floorboard, collected my rattling treasures (7 cents, a zip tie, and a few pebbles), cleaned everything up, re-applied the foam tape, masked off everything, and re-sprayed the exposed metal. Could not be happier with the match and finish. Looks absolutely oem. After that picture below was taken I went back and blended the paint a bit to get rid of the sharp line (which you could kind of see even after the seat was re-installed). Very happy. Still have to do the driver side to tackle but now I have a system. Once the seat bolsters are addressed by a professional this interior is going to look (almost) as good as new!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. flsupraguy

flsupraguy Rookie

Apr 27, 2014
    Wow! Amazing from start to finish. I feel honored as the second highest bidder because he is doing a much better job than I would "restoring" things! Hows the gt3 doing? Next time you are in FL his me up and you can take the 4.1 for a spin ;)

22. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Ha, thanks! I used to go there all the time for work, but not during 2020! Hopefully will be back in 2021! GT3 is good...just saving a few more pennies until I can visit John without risking a divorce! I will definitely keep you posted!!!!!

23. flsupraguy

flsupraguy Rookie

Apr 27, 2014
    Any updates to your scud?

24. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Nothing much lately. Still driving it! Did replace the coolant cap as I noticed some coolant from time to time around the vent tube and figured it was probably time after a couple thousand heat cycles! Got some other parts on order from Italy to address a few nits here and there! After that I think I I’m gonna tackle the ball joints which should be an awful diy lol!

G. Pepper, AandSC and armedferret like this.
  25. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Looking real good