Ferrari 2021 Season - Preparation/News | FerrariChat

Ferrari 2021 Season - Preparation/News

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Dec 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

2. DF1

3. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/154298/ferrari-announces-sf21-f1-car-name-and-launch-plan

Ferrari plans to unveil its 2021 Formula 1 car, the SF21, just ahead of pre-season testing at Barcelona in Spain next year.

Although there is a chassis freeze for teams, which means they must run their current basic cars again, aerodynamic changes are allowed and teams can spend two development tokens to make other modifications.

Ferrari is aiming to hold a team launch in the early part of the year, to introduce its management and driver line-up of Carlos Sainz Jr and Charles Leclerc, but will not reveal its 2021 challenger until just before it runs on track for the first time.

Speaking to selected media from Maranello, team principal Mattia Binotto explained Ferrari's plans for the pre-season period.

"We already decided the name of the car next year. The car will be called SF21," he said.
    "It's a very simple name, because we believe that next year is a transition to 2022. So let's keep SF21 the name of the car. It will be certainly partially a frozen car, same chassis as 2020.

"We will organise differently the unveiling of the car next year. We will organise first an event where we will present the team and our drivers to our fans, to our partners and to the journalists.

"But we may organise a second event, and that could be directly at Barcelona winter testing, where we will unveil the car. And that will be somehow done in a different [way]."

One of Ferrari's key hopes of progress in 2021 is that an all-new engine will address the power deficit that it suffered from this season.

Binotto said that figures coming from the dyno facilities at Maranello were encouraging, as he had faith Ferrari would not be left battling with the worst engine next year.

"I can confirm the engine is running well on the dyno," he said. "I think that in terms of performance, it progressed well. Significantly I think compared to what has been 2020.

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I hope Binotto don't come to regret saying that !
    Ferrari has to do better next year than this season, where the results have been atrocious.

DF1 likes this.
  5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    sammysaber, Jeronimo GTO and DF1 like this.
  6. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    If the power gap is bridged, it could create a virtuous circle on the aerodynamic and mechanical aspects of the car.
    Hopefully!

ingegnere and DF1 like this.
  7. DF1

Question of the year lol :):)

Jeronimo GTO and Bas like this.
  8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Still the honeymoon period !

AtSomePoint and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Binotto is lowering expectations as much as he can. Listen to his interview with ‘F1 Beyond the Grid.’

armedferret and DF1 like this.
  10. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Glad they’re happy at first.
    Next year should be better hopefully.

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Nortonious, armedferret and ingegnere like this.
  12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    They need to find a minimum of 3 seconds overall in this new car to leapfrog in front, 2 seconds to get up with RB and thats if RB & MB make little progress. Never been done unless they can come up with something revolutionary. Given the current restrictions i find it hard to see it happening.

The current driver lineup looks exciting and can make up some of deficiency but............

ingegnere and crinoid like this.
  13. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Put the old engine back in. There ya go.

Nortonious, armedferret and TonyL like this.
  14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    My guess is it probably wouldnt have enough power for next years cars.

I would like to think SF cut its losses midway and used this years donkey as a test mule for new developments for 21 and at least corroborate data for CFD and wind tunnel etc.

Difficult to achieve with Vettel on the way out of the door and taking knowledge with him though.

Rick Weston and crinoid like this.
  15. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I guess power unit deficit was huge because they had to do penance for something that would remain secret forever.
    An engine that recovers 50 horsepower at a time allows very important gains. Finally it is my hope!

crinoid likes this.
  16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Binotto already has made something right and something wrong in the first day of the season. The right one is changing the name of the car; anniversary names always bring bad luck. Now if he changes the matte red we'll be heading in the right direction. The bad one is talking about Mick Schumacher for 2023 the same day you're presenting your new driver with a two year contract.

I'm going to say something awful: I hope that Schumacher Jr. sucks at Haas. If he makes a just average season Binotto will be tempted to promote him to Ferrari just because he's a Schumacher. Although if he does great, well, then there won't be anything to complain about.

For next season, that mid pack between 3rd and 6th is quite close. A bit of improvement and two drivers scoring points regularly should give us a chance at getting 3rd. I think that's a realistic goal, no more.

DF1, crinoid and jpalmito like this.
  17. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Meh, i've grown tired of reading Ferrari's pre season nonsense since 2010. Same crap, repeat next year.

crinoid, william and jpalmito like this.
  18. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    2017 was the exception.
    The exact opposite in fact !
    So delightful.

Remy Zero and crinoid like this.
  19. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    All good points.

As has been already mentioned numerous times Ferrari were handicapped by the technical directives first, then the early lockdown in Italy and finally by the development freeze. Nevertheless we had some flashes of hope where relatively minor aero mods resulted in some decent performances by Leclerc on less power-sensitive circuits.

Besides the loss of power, Binotto was saying from the first day of testing that the car was too draggy—probably due to the disposition of engine externals and accessories which was useful prior to the TD, but penalizing after the TD was introduced.

So besides the extra HP expected, the reduction in drag will provide extra performance. But ultimately they will be no better than 3rd as Binotto says here:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/154308/ferrari-rivals-have-2021-development-token-advantage

TonyL and crinoid like this.
  20. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Are you referring to what Ferrari themselves are saying or what the websites and supposed experts are writing?

As I posted, Binotto already saying they are happy with the new engine but will ultimately be limited in their ability to try to catch the Mercs. What else do you expect him to say?

Toto and HAM are trying to play up the potential of RBR and Wolff already criticized Ferrari as being defeatist just so people don’t tune out while they dominate another year before the budget restrictions make themselves felt.

crinoid likes this.
  21. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I don’t know if the draggy car was an excuse to explain the power unit deficit ?
    They have done last year a draggy car and already knew that before the season’s start ?
    Now Binotto said the Power unit makes big progress and the car is no more draggy ..
    Weird.

crinoid likes this.
  22. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I thought the same, i.e. excuse, but some of the top speed numbers from Alfa at certain races lend credibility to the theory that the Ferrari layout is dragged. You will note that the Alfa has additional scoops behind the roll structure so is likely using a different cooling scheme.

crinoid and jpalmito like this.
  23. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Indeed, I didn’t notice this important detail,
    Thanks !

24. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    :cool: I only wish Ferrari can change the nose of the car even if for no other reason than I’m fed up of seeing that same blocky nose for the last 4 or 5 years and can’t imagine how it is aero efficient being so sharply squared off.