Conditioning Dash Leather | FerrariChat

Conditioning Dash Leather

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ridege55, Dec 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Just sharing and curious what others are doing. I condition the leather on my dash about every 2 month. I hate the area right up against the windshield as I always get the conditioner on the windshield. Finally bought some poster board, made a template and placed it inside the windshield between the dash. Seemed to work ok and I can keep reusing it.

I use Zymol and love the stuff. Goes on kind of shiny but fades away after I wipe it. So far (fingers crossed) I have no stretching or pulling back of my dash leather. I figure with winter and lack of humidity, good time to condition again.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Nice!

Im too lazy to build such so I just condition my dashboard leather without any windshield protection, then I clean inside windows with window cleaner.

I cover the dashboard with big bathroom towel, spray the above glass cleaner directly, then wipe glass down with microfiber cloth.

Best glass cleaner I have ever used is SprayWay SW050-12 Glass Cleaner,

Dan

ridege55 likes this.
  3. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Dan that’s a great idea. I just smudged the windshield doing the pillars so that is a great hack!

whatheheck likes this.
  4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here's what I use to clean my windshield. Does a great job cleaning all the edges:

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/window+cleaner+set.do?code=PPCPLG&gclid=CjwKCAiAlNf-BRB_EiwA2osbxYnKL8msjIvglAJeKOugFR8MbzdkwiHzdG8BKEp6z4VTkYyWQwhyFBoC-wQQAvD_BwE

Best glass cleaner: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQPIGY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the spray as it sticks to the glass instead of the fluids running down like the liquid glass spray.

Big bath towels at Costco for $5.99 each.

Dan

ridege55 likes this.
  5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I use Invisible Glass, but I never spray it directly on the windows. Always spray into the microfiber towel and then wipe the glass.

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    +1 on glass cleaner ..best stuff around

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

whatheheck likes this.
  7. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Hi Dan… So, how are you enjoying the California? Do you miss the 430 at all?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Collected cars for approx. 40 yrs. Have used all the wonder products from A to Z for windows. Now have reverted to just a small amount of vinegar in clean water for the initial wash followed by The Ultimate Cloth initially wet for initial wipe followed by moist for the final dry. I don't use the V/W mixture unless the windows are quite dirty and just use the U/C cloth otherwise. www.UltimateCloth.com. Obvious make sure that your windows are cool and not in the sun before cleaning. Intermittently might use a windshield sealant.

whatheheck and ridege55 like this.
  9. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    I am in the leather upholstery business, just an FYI, there are about a hundred products better than Zymol. Correct leather care requires a 2-step product, one a cleaner, the other a conditioner.

71Satisfaction and docf like this.
  10. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I do use a cleaner in between my conditioning cycles, but not all the time. Is there a product that you would recommend? My goal is to prevent my leather dash from stretching. I had my windshield ceramic tinted to limit the UV exposure. The leather dash on my Testarossa and 599 were wrecked (from previous owners). On my F430 it is starting to bubble but not stretch. The 458 is pristine for now...

11. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    Cleaning/Conditioning is not going to do anything about leather movement, which is glued down. That's a heat and sun issue, so I would always use a folding windshield reflector inside the car during the summer always leave the windows slightly open when the car is parked outside anytime the temps are over 60 degrees. Interior heat inside a closed-up car gets so hot, it can soften the adhesives use to attach the leather, you see it in Florida and Texas cars frequently that often are left out to bake in the sun.

whatheheck, docf and ridege55 like this.
  12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I used the Zymol on special cars on/off since 1998 when I tested a bunch. I have used just the cleaner on my F12 because it is safe and leaves zero residue and no sheen. However, I have not used the conditioner as I found after 22 years on a car it replaced the natural leather smell with the smell of the conditioner which is nice but different.

Can you please suggest a 2-step product that does the job and leaves the leather looking and smelling like new? There are too many out there for trial and error for me at this point.

13. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I love the Griot’s products for leather. I use the cream conditioner and then the spray and it leaves the leather beautiful and supple with no shine and a smell that’s beyond great.

Rexcat458, whatheheck and docf like this.
  14. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    There is no real "Natural" leather smell, that aroma is caused by the tanning process and is an off-gassing of those materials / chemicals / salts used in the processing of the hides. As the leather ages (just like plastics, etc) the off-gassing subsides. There are leather perfumes available to mimic that smell which you can use, but I'm not aware of any conditioner that does that.

These are the leather products I use in my home on and on my vehicles (disclaimer, I sell these kits in my business). All automotive leathers would use Kit 1.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/showthread.php?5155-Leather-Cleaning-amp-Conditioning-Protocol-for-all-brands

Always clean the leather before using a separate conditioner. You have to get the dirt and oils off before applying a moisturizing conditioner. Frequency of application is more important than brand used. Never use anything silicone-based on genuine leather.

Duane

mdrums likes this.
  15. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    How are you guys handling the stitching when conditioning the dashboard?
    I try to avoid getting conditioner on the stitching because I don't want it to break down the threads, or stain them. My stitching is light grey, and I want it to stay that way.
    Having to avoid the stitching makes the job tedious and miserable for me. Are there any hints?

16. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    Don't worry about the stitching. In any modern car the thread is going to be either nylon of polyester which are both synthetics and not susceptible to what is known as "milk rot" that you can get when leather conditioner gets on cotton (organic) threads. You're fine to get it on the threads unless you are putting in on a vehicle that is very old, going back 50 years or so. Then you want to find out what the thread content is that was used on the upholstery of those older cars.

Duane

up4speed and bball16 like this.
  17. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks! So just to confirm...it wont stain the stitching either (I have silver stitching), right?

18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi there.

Love my California T big time.

Loved my F430 and I do miss it but the Cali T is a much better machine. Much faster and lots of torque. Build quality is also much better. Stereo system is much better too. No complaints at all.

Just need to improve exhaust system similar to what I did with my F430. That's next mod on my list.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    hey there so great to hear you are enjoying it!

whatheheck likes this.
  20. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    I don't know for sure, but it should not. Mostly that was dealing with rot - degradation of the fibers.

21. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    There is a forum for furniture? Who knew? Thanks for the tips!

22. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    Yes there is, I run that and have 35 years in the business - mostly known as a leather upholstery store - I need to sell a few more sofas to get to the Portofino I want to acquire, however!

mdrums likes this.
  23. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You take care and be safe Scott!

Dan