AVH Failure | FerrariChat

AVH Failure

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Manish C, Dec 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Manish C

Manish C Rookie

Jun 24, 2020
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Manish Chopra
    Gents,
    Started up my FF yday and got these messages about Manettino Failure, AVH failure, Go to Dealer, ESC failure. Car was stuck in Wet Road mode. I was quite shocked, but pulled it out of garage and drove off. After a couple miles at a red light, on a whim, I switched off the engine and turned it back on...everything was back to normal. No messages. Crazy. I’m no expert but maybe it was a battery thing...I only pulled that manouver as my previous Aston always had some bloody light coming on...hope helpful to others and hope it never happens again. Tension! ‍♂️. Thoughts? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Manish C

Manish C Rookie

Jun 24, 2020
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Manish Chopra
    Bummed out this sh*t is happening with the Ferrari too I must say...

3. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Highly likely a battery issue. In most modern Ferrari it seems if you don't drive for a while (and don't have it on charger) it can throw up weird error codes. if you want peace of mind take it to your dealer to download the prior error codes but probably not necessary

4. Manish C

Manish C Rookie

Jun 24, 2020
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Manish Chopra
    Thank you. It was on charger. And had been driven (though a short ride) just the day before, when it started perfectly (after about 8 days on charge...). I’m gonna skip the dealer...for now...

5. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Exact same thing/ notices happened on my brand new 812 last year.

I limped home (wouldn't go over ~50mph)

Dealer found that the shut off switch on the battery terminal wasn't fully closed .

Never happened again.

6. Manish C

Manish C Rookie

Jun 24, 2020
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Manish Chopra
    Hmmm thanks. I’ll check the terminal switch...that’s fairly easy for a novice.

7. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    If the battery is over 3 years old it may not be working as well as it should (regardless of how often it is charged), suggest replacement every 3 years...at a maximum

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    My 458 started doing that, was the battery starting to fail.

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Most likely battery.. also the included tender with the FF is not very good!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

10. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I had the exact same thing happen twice in my 458 when I first bought it. I was hitting the "engine start" button too soon after turning the key and all the various tests had not finished running yet. I now wait a couple of seconds and watch the all the tests finish before pressing start. Not sure if the FF is similar, but I haven't had the problem come back in three years still using the same battery.

Rob

11. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    I use the OEM tender, haven't had any problems, but I drive the car 3-5 x per week. even If I'm driving the car every day I use it every night. what is the better/best preferred tender for the FF? Ctek 7002?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes. I have been using the 7002 model (I’m sure they’ve updated it over time) for over 10 years on these cars. It does better with brown outs and has really good tending and charging modes- it works automatically. Just make sure to set it to the correct type of battery - the normal is for a standard lead acid battery. The snowflake is for AGM. If your car has HELE it most likely has AGM but double check. If you have a Lithium battery you will need to use a tender designed for it. The number of times driving per week is good but whats really more important is how long the car is running. If its short trips (30 minutes or shorter) then youre really not driving enough to replenish the battery charge. I do think the tender included with the FF will add some back- overall its better than what they used to include with these cars but I just like to know I’m using a more robust option.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

LeoBRK likes this.