Pista/Speciale Market | FerrariChat

Pista/Speciale Market

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Robert P, Dec 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    I am in the market for a Pista to replace my 488, and have been waiting for the premiums to disappear.

In the UK there are currently 36 coupes available, and prices definitely seem to have stalled.

At the same time - there are just 10 Speciales available, and their prices have held firm in the last few months. As a result, the price differential between the 2 has narrowed to around £25k for similar spec'd models.

I appreciate all the arguments about the differences between the 2 cars, and I am still leaning towards the Pista.

But, money is also a factor in my purchase, and I would be very interested in any views on future value trends between the 2 cars.

Also, if a new F8 special edition is introduced in a year or so, which seems inevitable, my guess is that this would probably hit Pista values harder than Speciale values?

2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Speciale.

F2003-GA and sampelligrino like this.
  3. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    It's near impossible to compare the UK supercar market to the US. The UK supercar market is a sh!tshow because of COVID and Brexit, everything has plunged.

You need to figure out where the UK economy will be in the next year or so and figure out what car would be the most desirable once the economy starts to recover to predict future values.

Ash Patel likes this.
  4. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Thanks for the reply. I do appreciate the differences between the 2 cars having driven them both - but I am particularly interested in what FChat members think about future values.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I would recommend buying what car you like more. Buying a car based upon strangers speculation on future value may not be the best idea. You can easily see what the speciale market has done as you have plenty of years and data points. It would be speculative to tell you what the Pista market will do. I think most everyone will agree the Speciale was much more limited in production numbers than the Pista and should retain its value better. Just my .02

6. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    You are far more likely to lose less money in both absolute dollar wise and percentage wise owning and driving a Speciale. That's just a bonus for me since I enjoy the Speciale more as a car than I do the Pista. But if I liked the Pista more, then I wouldn't let such a thing prevent me from getting the car that I want, assuming it is affordable.

Simple rule: getting great deals are great only if you actually want the item you got a deal on. Otherwise it's still a waste. If you want a Pista, why would you consider a Speciale?

LARRYH, randkin, pninja005 and 3 others like this.
  7. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I entirely and wholeheartedly could not agree any more. "Could you be more right"?

We have to stop buying vehicles on prospective values as if they were some sort of investment. Nobody can predict the future value of a vehicle, unless they are a very limited edition and those cars, you rarely see.

I suggest you buy what checks your boxes. In the end, who cares what it may be worth. All that matters is that you enjoy it.

Who knew that 458, a regular production vehicle, would be matching 488 prices 10 years later? I am spending 400k on an F8, built by me, for me. Could I have spent 30-50k more and get a Pista, which considered to be a much more special vehicle than the F8? Absolutely! Why didn't I? Because I didn't like the Pista for what I want it. It did not check all the boxes for me. Will I lose money on my car? Absolutely! I will likely lose the paint premium and dual tone premium as soon as I drive the car out of the lot. Am I worried? No. Do I expect it to come up in value? No, All I care is that I can enjoy it and that nobody runs into me.

I hope this helps.

8. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Pls expand on this point. 458 matches 488 pricing how, based on what?

9. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    #10 Art138, Dec 15, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    From all the information out there, the Pista will probably be the last V8 special series as we know it. I actually had spec’ed a F8 but when an opportunity knocked with a Pista I had to go for it. I had options & considered a Speciale when I sold my Scud. In my opinion if you have a less than dense field of 36 Pistas to chose from,and prices are stagnant you will not be disappointed by opting for one. We are in for crazy times and it is hard to predict values until late next year.

LARRYH, Caeruleus11, Robert P and 2 others like this.
  10. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Based on current market values. I am starting to see 458 selling for 200-230k and I have started to see the middle child (488) trending down. Yes, you will see 458 in the sub 200k. But the relatively low mileage, well kept vehicles are approaching the 488 market values. I am comparing oranges to oranges as well. Well kept 458s to 488s.

11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Value hold....Speciale.

GT2goneF and Robert P like this.
  12. Foxmod

Foxmod Karting

Jun 17, 2012
    Midlands, UK
    Full Name:
    David
    I was in this exact same boat ealier this year, having had a Scud, Speciale, then 488 spider. I sold my 488 spider last summer, and was looking at Pista or Speciale in the first half of this year. I put my money in a 4000 mile Speciale, and will keep it long term. I believe Speciale's will be over Pista prices over time. The 10 or so on the UK market have been there some time, so go and haggle, then enjoy.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, GT2goneF, mdrums and 5 others like this.
  13. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    My view Speciale will hold firmer than Pista. Speciale has had more time to find its long term value in the market as the last NA V8 special. Pista arrived in much larger numbers and too close to F8, and possibly an F8 special as well. Also, the rate of production was so high (due to high production within a relatively short time frame) the market is still struggling to digest the overspill from the speculators/short term holders. If your heart is really set on Pista, then may be worth waiting a little longer into 2021. Also, the Pista is less likely to matter in the Ferrari lineage as the last V8 non-hybrid special compared to the more loved NA V8 speciale. People dislike turbos more than addition of electric motors.

I own a Pista spider and have driven a speciale a few times. While the Pista is the faster better car, the Speciale is the really special one.

14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    GT2goneF and Robert P like this.
  15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Avia11, of2worlds, GT2goneF and 3 others like this.
  16. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Thanks for your thoughts - and congrats on your Speciale!

Foxmod likes this.
  17. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Thanks, and I think you're spot on regarding the Pista market.

18. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Guaranteed value retention- Speciale.

but honesty it’s like 100+ horsepower difference between the two. That makes a big difference in the drive.

buy the one you want to drive- not the one that is going to be a better investment.

LARRYH, Solid State and Katonk like this.
  19. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London

I'm sure I would be very happy with either of them! It would be good to drive them both, back to back on the same day on the same route.

20. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    Avia11, of2worlds, GT2goneF and 4 others like this.
  21. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    What a combination!

458-Italia likes this.
  22. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    #23 458-Italia, Dec 16, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    Thanks !
    the chassis, the steering, the steering wheel, the brakes, seats, wing mirrors, tires, gearbox and many other parts are identical between Speciale and Pista
    Pista has more aerodynamic downforce a wider rear axle and of course a more powerful engine
    I keep the Pista for its incredible performance
    I thought about selling it because the engine sound is very disappointing but a full Inconel exhaust solved the problem
    Speciale and Pista will become collectors because the future and the new standards will kill sport-cars
    but the Speciale will be even more sought after than the Pista
    Speciale is one of the best Ferrari ever produced
    I very recently tried an SF 90 it is a good car even if the electric steering is too much assisted and if it is too heavy more than 1700 kg!
    but I came out of the SF 90 without having felt a shame for a 1000 hp car

23. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Rookie

Jun 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jon Seal
    100% speciale

If I had the gas in the tank I'd have one but the normal 458 is ok for me. I think it's still better than even an F8.

Mikes90ef8 and Robert P like this.