Testarossa engine rebuild cost? | FerrariChat

Testarossa engine rebuild cost?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Threeofnine, Dec 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Threeofnine

Threeofnine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    Out of curiosity, should the worst happen and an engine rebuild of replacement is needed, about how much would it cost? Yesterday I went to see a 1990 TR in person and I would just like to know exactly what I’m getting into before I pull the trigger on one of these cars.

2. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    There’s one on eBay for $23k and I’ve seen them between $14-18k in the past.

Threeofnine likes this.
  3. Threeofnine

Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    oh really? That’s a lot cheaper than I was expecting (cheap is relative here).

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sure? fresh rebuilt?
    I think from a partet out car a used engine and nobody knows if this engine still 100 ok or not

5. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Ezio

I'll be selling my 1990 Testarossa soon if you're interested.:) Rosso Corsa red, black interior, I just had it serviced fully at the Ferrari dealer. Dropped 16k on the engine out, 37k Miles, upgraded fuse box, upgraded differential, brand new clutch & full luggage set & all service records. Let me know if you're interested!

6. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Yes/Sure - Not a new crate engine, but from parted out cars. Most breakers give you a warranty so that’s not an issue.

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the question here has been once:

testarossa engine rebuilt costs

and not the price for a used engine

EZORED likes this.
  8. Threeofnine

Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    Im not too fond of black interior but that doesn’t mean I won’t consider an otherwise good car. What are you asking and where are you located?

9. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Back to the question of rebuild cost, I think it depends on whether you are rebuilding a worn engine, or one which suffered catastrophic failure. I rebuilt my BB a few years ago as it had been sitting forever before I bought it; with new valves to replace the hollow sodium filled ones, 1 mm over pistons and all bearings, clutch, gaskets, seals, etc, it is still a $40+k job if you use OEM parts (I used JE pistons). A TR in need of 12 new pistons and perhaps liners, with 48 valves in need of guides and perhaps valve seat work (if not valves) would have to be more. A high mileage car may also need gearbox work as well. Depending on who does the work and what is worn out, a complete and proper rebuild could be $40-50k.

I have another thread in Tech Q&A about pre oiling systems and bypass oil filtration systems to reduce wear for this exact reason; I just reached 60,000 km on my TR and intend to use it for years to come.

Threeofnine and turbo-joe like this.
  10. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    Really depends on how much you are rebuilding, pistons and bearings, all the bottom internals bar crankshaft, bottom and top end, on the top end depends on what you are changing as well, if you choose oem parts, if you choose the 512M internals or the oem TR/512, what you change around the engine (pumps, tubes/lines, wiring, injectors, plugs, etc etc) can go from 5k well budgeted and adressing only the problem to +50k.
    It's a matter of picking the right parts for the right price and having a fixed rate labour cost for the job.

2dinos and turbo-joe like this.
  11. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I think those motors are extremely rugged. I know of TRs with lots of track experience way over 100,000 miles that ran very strong. I drove one with ~80,000 miles on it that felt like it was just breaking in. I know this doesn't address your question, just thought it would be good to share an observation.

To overhaul a TR engine, the cost would depend on may factors. Was it broken, or just worn? A good valve job for 48 valves would cost a few bucks. A set of 12 pistons & rings, main + rod bearings for a low volume automobile, likewise. A full gasket set is approx $1,200. 'While you're in there' expenses + labor?

I'll toss out a guess (curious to hear from other F-chatters who know better than I how close this guesstimate is):

Parts: ~7,000 (Maybe do some careful shopping to help a little here)
    Machining: ~7000 (2000 per head + 3000 misc machining)
    labor: ~ 5-10,000

Soo 19-24K is my SWAG.

12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Double that at least in usa ..east coast

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

turbo-joe likes this.
  13. turbo-joe