458 - 2013 458 Spider Bluetooth Audio question | FerrariChat

458 2013 458 Spider Bluetooth Audio question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Mikes90ef8, Dec 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mikes90ef8

Mikes90ef8 Karting

Oct 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    MM
  2. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I just bought one and it arrives today. I bought it because my friend also with a 458 says it's the easiest way to connect music via Bluetooth. It's not perfect -- you have to reconnect every time you get in the car, apparently. But it's the easiest/cheapest way to go.

If the music doesn't work just push the accelerator to the floor and that'll fix everything. :p

3. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    To summarize the many, many other threads on this subject (which are worth reading): it works ok for some and not at all for others. Be prepared to disconnect/reconnect. I've tried three different Bovees that were "compatible with Ferrari 458", they work great in other cars, but not at all in my 2014 458 Spider. I now use the hard drive and a 2005 iPod nano with great success.

Enjoy,

Rob

Mikes90ef8 likes this.
  4. CrapsLuckyDice

CrapsLuckyDice Karting

Apr 28, 2019
    NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have a really stupid question. Are you able to hear your music clearly? I mean I stopped listening to the music on my phone because a) I couldn't hear well above the roar of the engine and b) I do love the sound of the engine from time to time a lot.

However, I'm interested to hear what you do so you can hear your music as I'm also somewhat interested in getting something like this as I'm usually just cruising from point A to point B.

Mikes90ef8 likes this.
  5. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Best of luck to you, but keep your expectations low with the Bovee. I was very unhappy with the three that I tried. I've commented in many earlier threads. Great in a Mercedes CLK, good in a Maserati Gran Turismo, complete failure in my 458 Spider. Other people have had better results, but still have to disconnect/reconnect every time they start the car. The hard drive and an old iPod have been flawless for me.

Rob

DefunctNeurons and Mikes90ef8 like this.
  6. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I’ve been using it for 2 years and it works great. I stream all my music and Sirius from it and it sounds as good as anything else. Every now and then I have to turn the Bluetooth on and off on my phone but it syncs right up.

7. Mikes90ef8

Mikes90ef8 Karting

Oct 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    MM
    If the music doesn't work just push the accelerator to the floor and that'll fix everything. :p[/QUOTE]
    Love it <3

8. Mikes90ef8

Mikes90ef8 Karting

Oct 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    MM
    thanks everyone for the help ...
    for $80 ill give it a shot ...
    i’ll keep you posted once i get it !

have a nice holiday everyone

9. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    I have a Bovee but stopped using it. Simply too flaky for me. I instead bought the smallest/cheapest iPhone (and the necessary connector) and keep that in the glove compartment. If I'm streaming via Spotify, this setup has the added benefit of being able to manage track selection from my primary phone since I've noticed that with this configuration I can only go to the "next" track (not the "previous" track) using the steering wheel controls.

10. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    Just buy a $20 FM transmitter if the Bovee doesn't work. Mine has been great. I have a Bovee in another car and really can't even notice a quality difference between the transmitter and Bovee.

Sent from my SM-G981V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Mikes90ef8 likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    this works in my 2009 612 OTO

Mikes90ef8 likes this.
  12. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    The Bovee works very well in my 2013 in terms of sound quality.

You do have to open the glove box and disconnect and reconnect when starting the car after an extended time in the garage, and the track info on the instrument sometimes is wonky

I have a $20,000 custom system and have no sound quality issues feeding it a Bluetooth signal via Bovee as long as using 320 kbps or lossless FLAC

if there were sound quality issues, I would hear it

Mikes90ef8 likes this.
  13. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You don't have to open the glove box each time. All you have to do is swipe your screen upwards on the iPhone, then turn Bluetooth off and back on, and it will connect.

Mikes90ef8 likes this.
  14. todd cloud

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd

Good tip
    Thank you

up4speed likes this.
  15. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    So I got my Bovee and tried it out. It took a while for the car to recognize that there was an iPod connection and to give me that option in the display. I also want to say that it might have required me to jiggle the connector a bit? I could have imagined that.

The day I got it working it worked great. Every time I started the car it would just automatically start playing from my iPhone.

Then the next day I couldn't for the life of me get the car to recognize the iPod connection. The Bovee was powered (blue light and successfully connected to my phone) but the car never had the option to select iPod.

Is this a failure mode anyone else has dealt with?

16. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Yep, that is similar to my experience with three different Bovees, although I usually had to disconnect/reconnect bluetooth on my phone for it to work if I had turned the car off. If I changed sources away from the iPod connection to the hard drive the iPod/Bovee would not show up again in the infotainment center without turning the car off and physically disconnecting/reconnecting the Bovee. And that procedure did not work all the time either. I think it also happened if I took the right tft screen off media and put the digital speedometer on it.

For $80 I was willing to give it a try, but each time I ended up putting the Bovee in a different car where it worked perfectly.

Please keep us informed if you find anything different. These things seem to work for some people and not for others without much consistency.

Rob

axlesofevil likes this.
  17. Mikes90ef8

Mikes90ef8 Karting

Oct 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    MM
    Does anyone have a picture of their set up ?
    brand etc..

The Bovee that I ordered came in but had a AUX jack and a USB ( for a BMW).
    I'm lost here :(

18. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
  19. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Sounds like they sent you the wrong one. The one for the 458 should just have the old Apple 30 pin connection. The one I tried (with the problems discussed earlier in the thread) was https://www.amazon.com/Bovee-Bluetooth-Ferrari-Spyder-A2DP/dp/B074CPNX4Q/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=bovee+458&qid=1607978050&s=electronics&sr=1-1.

Here is a picture of both of my options: 2005 1st Generation iPod Nano and the Bovee. They both just plug into the iPod connection cable.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. PCJR

PCJR Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2007
    PA
    The problem I’ve experienced with the Bovee parts seems to be it’s interaction with the car/radio. The IPod light in the dash display flashes but I cannot select it. It’s worked once for about 15 minutes in the last dozen of times I’ve tried it. Really frustrating as I had recently did a nice amp, speaker and sub upgrade.

21. todd cloud

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Physically disconnect the unit in the glove box, reconnect, and wait a few seconds

you can then select iPod from the dash

works every time. Not sure why.

22. PCJR

PCJR Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2007
    PA
    Yep - tried that many times but unfortunately it doesn’t sinc ☹️